Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2020 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2020, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by worldtrav
So in actuality a money issue, I can think of plenty of airlines that eat the duty in order to show their customers they are valued.
I actually forgive United for this one for a few of reasons:

1) The PDB 'sparkling wine' has been pretty decent in my experience. Some times better than others, but I always drank it and it was never so bad that it was undrinkable.
2) There's some REALLY good sparkling wine out there. Some Proseccos and some South African ones come to mind. Just because it ain't Champagne (from the Champagne region) doesn't automatically mean it's bad swill.
3) The 'sparkling wine' is/was usually brought pre-poured in a plastic cup. If the modus operandi is to have the PDB being paraded up and down the isle, I prefer it not be done with a good Champagne in a plastic cup.
4) Some of the Champagnes United served during the flight have been OUTSTANDING! Top notch stuff.

Summary:
I'd rather United offer decent sparkling wine as a PDB and quality Champagne during the flight, than mediocre Champagne for both.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by narvik

1) The PDB 'sparkling wine' has been pretty decent in my experience. Some times better than others, but I always drank it and it was never so bad that it was undrinkable.
2) There's some REALLY good sparkling wine out there. Some Proseccos and some South African ones come to mind. Just because it ain't Champagne (from the Champagne region) doesn't automatically mean it's bad swill.
3) The 'sparkling wine' is/was usually brought pre-poured in a plastic cup. If the modus operandi is to have the PDB being paraded up and down the isle, I prefer it not be done with a good Champagne in a plastic cup.
4) Some of the Champagnes United served during the flight have been OUTSTANDING! Top notch stuff.

Summary:
I'd rather United offer decent sparkling wine as a PDB and quality Champagne during the flight, than mediocre Champagne for both.
I would have to disagree with point 1). I have found UA's PDB "sparkling wine" undrinkable, and so have others who have posted. UA needs to serve some of the really good sparkling wine you mention in point 2). Of course now UA does not offer a PDB, as brodayo relates.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Summary:
No general argument with your perspective, but when the PDB sparkling split is Andre, I do find it tough to drink

although, there was a time when I was generally so pleased to clear the upgrade that I'd have taken vinegar for a PDB.
narvik and Dyce like this.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 9:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fumje
... Andre, ....
#5 in Sales of the leading sparkling wine and champagne brands in the United States from in 2018
Old Dec 28, 2020, 11:21 am

Summary:
How nice that you have to "forgive" a service provider that gives you an inferior product. Your point 3 in support of United's product is laughable, there are many airlines out there that offer real glasses for the PDB on the ground and they pour the same stuff on the ground that they serve in the air. As for your summary.... is there something wrong with serving a quality product on the ground and in the air?

I don't understand the acceptance of mediocrity.
rch4u and Dyce like this.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
30+ years of flying U.S. airlines, starting with PanAm just after Lockerbie on a near-empty 747.
My standards are LOW, LOW, LOW!
Dyce likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 12:33 pm

30+ years of flying U.S. airlines, starting with PanAm just after Lockerbie on a near-empty 747.
My standards are LOW, LOW, LOW!
Indeed, I believe if the domestic "Full Service" airlines didn't have their frequent flyer programs to ensure a captive audience the standards would have to be raised so that we didn't have to go around accepting mediocrity. My epiphany (and subsequent freedom) a few years really changed my buying pattern for air travel after freeing myself from the chains of frequent flyer programs.
Dyce likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Indeed, I believe if the domestic "Full Service" airlines didn't have their frequent flyer programs to ensure a captive audience the standards would have to be raised so that we didn't have to go around accepting mediocrity. My epiphany (and subsequent freedom) a few years really changed my buying pattern for air travel after freeing myself from the chains of frequent flyer programs.
If food and beverages were the benchmark of success - US airlines would have evolved long ago - and it is clear, pre Covid, US airlines were among the highest moneymakers in the world. In some ways UA did evolve with Polaris lounges pre Covid.

Even if I freed myself of the UA frequent flier program many of us do not have good alternatives. UA offers the best frequency for me out HNL with many flights offering lie flat seats - my only realistic alternative to SFO is Hawaiian with what I found to be an inferior lie flat often at twice the price (you can read my thoughts on the Hawaiian thread) or AS, with no lie flat seat.

If I travel for business someday again - again, I don't have much of a choice as my company corporate rate is highly discounted with UA. We can't fly an alternative carrier with a higher price even if I pay the extra out of pocket. We get the same rate with LH - but quite frankly I don't like LH food nor the seat.

It isn't all about the frequent flier program.
SPN Lifer and artvandalay like this.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 1:55 pm

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
How nice that you have to "forgive" a service provider that gives you an inferior product. Your point 3 in support of United's product is laughable, there are many airlines out there that offer real glasses for the PDB on the ground and they pour the same stuff on the ground that they serve in the air. As for your summary.... is there something wrong with serving a quality product on the ground and in the air?

When the quality of the pilots flying the airplanes become mediocre, that's when you will really have a problem.

But truly, I do understand the food and beverage service standards may be a disappointment to some. As a UA employee, I wish it was different.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by 757FO
When the quality of the pilots flying the airplanes become mediocre, that's when you will really have a problem.

But truly, I do understand the food and beverage service standards may be a disappointment to some. As a UA employee, I wish it was different.
There are two things I have absolutely zero concerns about when it comes to United, the quality of the pilots and the standards of maintenance. Thank you for your professionalism.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 9:58 pm

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
There are two things I have absolutely zero concerns about when it comes to United, the quality of the pilots and the standards of maintenance. Thank you for your professionalism.
My pleasure, and thank you for your business.
SPN Lifer and Roble like this.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 5:58 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold
December 2, 2020
UA857 SFO-ICN-PVG
Boeing 777-300ER

I've been debating whether or not to post in this forum, as I'm afraid recently a lot of posts have been quite critical about the service and even critical about passengers for choosing to fly United with the current service levels. If anyone is familiar with the situation of flying from US to mainland China, I'm sure you'd understand that I felt lucky just to be able to get a ticket at all to fly, and that I was able to board the flight with the entry requirements and testing requirements. Tickets to China are just very hard to come by nowadays, and one doesn't have the luxury of choosing among many airlines and connection cities. Also, I understand Chinese airlines flying between US and China put a bag of snacks and water at your seat upon boarding, and that's it for the whole flight.

Anyway, this post is for posterity!

The choices were described as beef short rib, salmon, or pasta. I asked for a bit more detail on the salmon, and the flight attendant said it was had a red curry sauce. I wasn't asked for a second choice. I wonder if Premium Economy was served the same meal, and they got whatever was left from Polaris? Nuts were in a dixie cup, and the salad had shaved fennel and yellow bell pepper, along with the little bottle of balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

The foil wrapper on the salmon said the thing on the right was risotto. Anyway, this dish was delicious! The salmon was moist and tender, the red curry had a pretty decent kick to it, and the risotto (I saw some quinoa grains in there too) was very flavorful as well. I'd definitely order this again. It was the highlight of the meal service.

The economy class ice cream for dessert. I actually quite like this, and I wonder if the manufacturer is the same as what shows up in the bowls during regular Polaris dessert service.

Midflight, the flight attendant came around with sandwiches to hand out. Yes, it's the same kind you get in Economy. Then later the flight attendant came around with a snack basket, and I chose Cheese-Its and stroopwafel. I think there were also almonds and potato chips?

Breakfast was rather disappointing. Just a heated sandwich. It was a bun-shaped croissant, with a thin layer of Canadian bacon and a thin egg - so quite bready overall. I ordered a tomato juice to be a bit more filling, but I still did have to supplement with a Kind bar I bought from home.

We made a stop in ICN to change the crew. ICN-PVG they handed out individual water bottles and landing cards.

I'm pleased to see the news that the pre-arrival meal should be improved soon.
cesco.g, SPN Lifer, narvik and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flaii
December 2, 2020
UA857 SFO-ICN-PVG
Boeing 777-300ER

I've been debating whether or not to post in this forum, as I'm afraid recently a lot of posts have been quite critical about the service and even critical about passengers for choosing to fly United with the current service levels. If anyone is familiar with the situation of flying from US to mainland China, I'm sure you'd understand that I felt lucky just to be able to get a ticket at all to fly, and that I was able to board the flight with the entry requirements and testing requirements. Tickets to China are just very hard to come by nowadays, and one doesn't have the luxury of choosing among many airlines and connection cities. Also, I understand Chinese airlines flying between US and China put a bag of snacks and water at your seat upon boarding, and that's it for the whole flight.

The choices were described as beef short rib, salmon, or pasta. I asked for a bit more detail on the salmon, and the flight attendant said it was had a red curry sauce. I wasn't asked for a second choice. I wonder if Premium Economy was served the same meal, and they got whatever was left from Polaris? Nuts were in a dixie cup, and the salad had shaved fennel and yellow bell pepper, along with the little bottle of balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
img

The foil wrapper on the salmon said the thing on the right was risotto. Anyway, this dish was delicious! The salmon was moist and tender, the red curry had a pretty decent kick to it, and the risotto (I saw some quinoa grains in there too) was very flavorful as well. I'd definitely order this again. It was the highlight of the meal service.
img

The economy class ice cream for dessert. I actually quite like this, and I wonder if the manufacturer is the same as what shows up in the bowls during regular Polaris dessert service.
img

Midflight, the flight attendant came around with sandwiches to hand out. Yes, it's the same kind you get in Economy. Then later the flight attendant came around with a snack basket, and I chose Cheese-Its and stroopwafel. I think there were also almonds and potato chips?
img

Breakfast was rather disappointing. Just a heated sandwich. It was a bun-shaped croissant, with a thin layer of Canadian bacon and a thin egg - so quite bready overall. I ordered a tomato juice to be a bit more filling, but I still did have to supplement with a Kind bar I bought from home.
img

We made a stop in ICN to change the crew. ICN-PVG they handed out individual water bottles and landing cards.

Thanks for posting -- the dinner looks pretty good.

Was the breakfast sandwich served prior to ICN changeover or during ICN-PEK? It looks like the same as what they sometimes served in domestic F.

If you happen to be flying back and want two helpings of whatever the arrival meal is, I'd bet the crew would oblige.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 4:22 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Anyone know when exactly a real pre-arrival meal will be added? Flying GRU-IAH in a few weeks time and wondering whether to sleep through it.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by flaii
December 2, 2020
UA857 SFO-ICN-PVG
Boeing 777-300ER

I actually think it looks pretty good! Your pre-arrival meal looks better than the one I got when I took SFO - PVG in November
flaii likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.