Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2020 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2021, 3:01 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
Thanks for posting -- the dinner looks pretty good.

Was the breakfast sandwich served prior to ICN changeover or during ICN-PEK? It looks like the same as what they sometimes served in domestic F.

If you happen to be flying back and want two helpings of whatever the arrival meal is, I'd bet the crew would oblige.
You're welcome!

The breakfast sandwich was served prior to landing in ICN. On the short ICN-PVG sector, they only handed out water bottles and arrivals cards. (I did notice that the new crew on that sector ate their crew meals during that time, so maybe they eat on the plane, wait in PVG, then fly back to ICN.)
Old Jan 1, 2021, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by flaii
December 2, 2020
UA857 SFO-ICN-PVG
Boeing 777-300ER

I've been debating whether or not to post in this forum, as I'm afraid recently a lot of posts have been quite critical about the service and even critical about passengers for choosing to fly United with the current service levels. If anyone is familiar with the situation of flying from US to mainland China, I'm sure you'd understand that I felt lucky just to be able to get a ticket at all to fly, and that I was able to board the flight with the entry requirements and testing requirements. Tickets to China are just very hard to come by nowadays, and one doesn't have the luxury of choosing among many airlines and connection cities. Also, I understand Chinese airlines flying between US and China put a bag of snacks and water at your seat upon boarding, and that's it for the whole flight.

Anyway, this post is for posterity!

The choices were described as beef short rib, salmon, or pasta. I asked for a bit more detail on the salmon, and the flight attendant said it was had a red curry sauce. I wasn't asked for a second choice. I wonder if Premium Economy was served the same meal, and they got whatever was left from Polaris? Nuts were in a dixie cup, and the salad had shaved fennel and yellow bell pepper, along with the little bottle of balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

The foil wrapper on the salmon said the thing on the right was risotto. Anyway, this dish was delicious! The salmon was moist and tender, the red curry had a pretty decent kick to it, and the risotto (I saw some quinoa grains in there too) was very flavorful as well. I'd definitely order this again. It was the highlight of the meal service.

The economy class ice cream for dessert. I actually quite like this, and I wonder if the manufacturer is the same as what shows up in the bowls during regular Polaris dessert service.

Midflight, the flight attendant came around with sandwiches to hand out. Yes, it's the same kind you get in Economy. Then later the flight attendant came around with a snack basket, and I chose Cheese-Its and stroopwafel. I think there were also almonds and potato chips?

Breakfast was rather disappointing. Just a heated sandwich. It was a bun-shaped croissant, with a thin layer of Canadian bacon and a thin egg - so quite bready overall. I ordered a tomato juice to be a bit more filling, but I still did have to supplement with a Kind bar I bought from home.

We made a stop in ICN to change the crew. ICN-PVG they handed out individual water bottles and landing cards.

I'm pleased to see the news that the pre-arrival meal should be improved soon.
That breakfast sandwich looks like something that would give you food poisoning
Old Jan 2, 2021, 7:54 pm

TPE-SFO meals in C on 12/27/2020

Dinner choices were announced as Pork, Chicken or Vegetarian. There was no menu, but the flight attendant flashed pictures of the three choices on her handheld device. I chose Chicken.

The highlight of the meal was the small box of chocolates. The rest was...edible. The salad was basic, the chicken was mega-tenderized, the veggies were soggy. I guess the ginkgo nuts were a nice surprise. There were no nuts or ice cream.

Breakfast choices were Omelette or Eggs With Baked Mushrooms. I chose the latter, but I'm not sure how it differed from the Omelette.

It was fine, nothing particularly memorable in either a good or bad way.

I'm pretty tolerant of mediocre food, so finished everything on the plate both times. The main problem I had was with the quantity. I have an average appetite and I was left hungry after both meals. Even worse, there was no mid-flight sandwich, just bags of chips, pretzels etc. laid out in the galley.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by SF_trotter
Dinner choices were announced as Pork, Chicken or Vegetarian. There was no menu, but the flight attendant flashed pictures of the three choices on her handheld device. I chose Chicken.

The highlight of the meal was the small box of chocolates. The rest was...edible. The salad was basic, the chicken was mega-tenderized, the veggies were soggy. I guess the ginkgo nuts were a nice surprise. There were no nuts or ice cream.

Breakfast choices were Omelette or Eggs With Baked Mushrooms. I chose the latter, but I'm not sure how it differed from the Omelette.

It was fine, nothing particularly memorable in either a good or bad way.

I'm pretty tolerant of mediocre food, so finished everything on the plate both times. The main problem I had was with the quantity. I have an average appetite and I was left hungry after both meals. Even worse, there was no mid-flight sandwich, just bags of chips, pretzels etc. laid out in the galley.
Did you ask if they had any additional meals left? Also, next to the chicken pieces, is that a cabbage leaf atop what appears to be rice?

David
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
Did you ask if they had any additional meals left?
No, because I wasn't THAT hungry immediately after the first meal, and I figured there'd be some sort of mid-night sandwich.

Originally Posted by DELee
Also, next to the chicken pieces, is that a cabbage leaf atop what appears to be rice?
Yes, The cabbage is a step up from the paper cups posted upthread over the mashed potatoes!
Old Jan 3, 2021, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SF_trotter
No, because I wasn't THAT hungry immediately after the first meal, and I figured there'd be some sort of mid-night sandwich.

Yes, The cabbage is a step up from the paper cups posted upthread over the mashed potatoes!
Did you ask about hot snacks (small bowl of shrimp fried rice or the like)? They are often poorly advertised by the crew, but I'm not sure if they may have been completely discontinued.

Your arrival meal looks like the economy breakfasts with a broccoli & tomato upgrade. Better than the tin foil sandwiches, though, I imagine.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 9:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
With the arrival of 2021, will close this thread. The new thread is
2021 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 20, 2021 at 12:26 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.