Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2020 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2020, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PTahCha
I believe the prior packaging was ramekins catered in an aluminum tray, and the lid fits over the tray, not individual ramekins.
Ah, thanks.

I think plastic wrap would be suitable for the current one-tray / no-touch service, since they're clearly not heating the nuts now.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 12:53 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by st530
What is the paper cup/container to the north of the bread dish?

Also, did you notice bottled wine/champagne service? There's a report to that effect in the "Covid-19 Service Changes" thread and I'm wondering if it's system-wide now.
Definitely no PBD, and no menu offered to peruse the wine list.

Last week when it was single serving plastic shot-sized wine, the purser said the "full sized bottles" were coming back this week. Overheard neighbor negotiate for wine based on varietal (rather than "we have red or white"), so I think they may have brought back some selection.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by deniah
What is/was the paper cup/container to the north of the bread dish?

David
cesco.g likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by DELee

David
My bet is that it covered the rice so it didn't completely dry out during reheating. Looks like it also took a dip in the sauce container ...
Old Nov 23, 2020, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rch4u
My bet is that it covered the rice so it didn't completely dry out during reheating. Looks like it also took a dip in the sauce container ...
Correct.

(@DELee...I'll post my full meal shortly.)
Old Nov 23, 2020, 8:06 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold

David
This is how most meals are loaded into individual containers. I still remember my first flight in FC on Delta when I was in 5th grade. The FA's plated the meals in the aisle from the cart. Each meal kit came in a foil container and each side dish including the eggs were "turned over" onto the plate using tongs from the individual paper souffle cups.

On another trip on Delta to Disney World sometime in the 90's, breakfast service in coach consisted of scrambled eggs and ham. The FA's removed the foils from the mains and then flipped the paper souffle cup containing the eggs into the square dish before serving the meal.

Pretty sure FA's would revolt now a days if they were required to do anything other than drop the tray and run.
bocastephen, rch4u, st530 and 3 others like this.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by rch4u
My bet is that it covered the rice so it didn't completely dry out during reheating.
I wished this was posted BEFORE my recent flight where I poured the sauce over the still paper-covered mash potatoes! 🤔
This was either due to my poor eyesight, or the alarming similarity between paper/cardboard and what United serves as mashed potatoes...or a combination of both. 😂
Old Nov 25, 2020, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by narvik
I wished this was posted BEFORE my recent flight where I poured the sauce over the still paper-covered mash potatoes! 🤔
This was either due to my poor eyesight, or the alarming similarity between paper/cardboard and what United serves as mashed potatoes...or a combination of both. 😂
"Wow, these potatoes are sure chewy today...."

David
Old Nov 25, 2020, 10:50 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
"Wow, these potatoes are sure chewy today...."

David
"But really high in fiber"
Old Dec 3, 2020, 10:04 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
ZRH-IAD, November 29

Meal wasn't bad, and quite tasty. I believe it was referred to as "Mozzarella Pasta".
Note: I now only choose things I can clearly identify, visually.....see my previous post!

cesco.g and Expat_flyer1 like this.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 10:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by narvik
ZRH-IAD, November 29

Meal wasn't bad, and quite tasty. I believe it was referred to as "Mozzarella Pasta".
Note: I now only choose things I can clearly identify, visually.....see my previous post!

This meal would be lovely - as a domestic mid-con lunch or dinner flight. As a Polaris international flight meal, it's far from what should be delivered.
tcdtcd and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Dec 4, 2020, 12:45 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by bocastephen
This meal would be lovely - as a domestic mid-con lunch or dinner flight. As a Polaris international flight meal, it's far from what should be delivered.
Sadly, that looks better than the last 8 meals I have on SFO<->NRT flights over the last few months.

But yes, I COMPLETELY agree with you. Have you complained at all to UA via email or phone? If so, any response? I think I will send them my thoughts as a GS paying J fares, and having spent $60K this year despite the pandemic.
cesco.g, restlessinRNO and Dyce like this.
Old Dec 4, 2020, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Just confirming the full-size wine bottles are back ... two reds, two whites, champagne. On my flight is was a Wente Chardonnay, the old blue topped Riesling, an Aussie Shiraz, and an Oregon Pinot Noir. Champagne was Ayala.

October brought us the ice-cream cups, bottled water PDB, and the United Club "bar pass"; November the return of the mid-flight snacks; December the return of full-sized wine bottles. Amidst the criticism, they are genuinely trying to push forward. Service has been great on all of my flights, and the cleanliness is certainly a huge step forward.
Old Dec 6, 2020, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

{P}roviding some sort of menu to know what will be served and what beverages (wines and champagnes) will be available seems to be the most important to let current Polaris travellers know what the food situation will be.

David

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 7, 2020 at 10:01 am Reason: split post
Old Dec 7, 2020, 1:14 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by greenpau
Just confirming the full-size wine bottles are back ... two reds, two whites, champagne. On my flight is was a Wente Chardonnay, the old blue topped Riesling, an Aussie Shiraz, and an Oregon Pinot Noir. Champagne was Ayala.

October brought us the ice-cream cups, bottled water PDB, and the United Club "bar pass"; November the return of the mid-flight snacks; December the return of full-sized wine bottles. Amidst the criticism, they are genuinely trying to push forward. Service has been great on all of my flights, and the cleanliness is certainly a huge step forward.
This is excellent news. Imagine, full-size wine bottles in business class again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.