Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2020 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2020, 11:32 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
The flight from Brussels is looking more like the normal type of service pre-Covid
I.e., still sub-par.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
The flight from Brussels is looking more like the normal type of service pre-Covid
Same meal and pre-arrival meal on UA59 FRA-SFO on 03 Nov.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
So UA discontinued the mid-flight snack on this route then?
Old Nov 14, 2020, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA Gold; DL Silver; Amtrak Select Plus;Hilton Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by junglematt
BRU-EWR on 12 November. Only three passengers in J. I was even offered a PDB of coffee and Baileys.

Pre arrival meal was the sandwich, but properly heated. It paired well with the chips from the snack basket.

Wow, I didn't know that "ovenable" was even a word! LOL (spell check says it isn't!)
junglematt likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Agree that it is not as good as the RRV Chardonnay they were serving in Polaris previously. At the same time, just like movie critics, one should not try wine simply based on number of points or review profiles. There are plenty of undrinkable wines out there, and this is not one of them. At the same time, if you are looking for a big, buttery California chard, this is not one of them.
All fair points, and I can usually soldier on with the best of them, but the Camelot Chardonnay is barely drinkable to me. In fact, I couldnt get through a glass of it, and the Flight Attendant joked that they had been warned it could cause blindness. UA are sourcing the mini bottles at just under $.65 each, given the scale.

There have been very few RRV Chardonnays, if any, I recall in the Polaris lineup. There was a Mondavi in Global First at one point, and the Landmark Overlook is a multi-region blend. The others on the regular cycle - Wente, Mer Soleil, Hahn - are all other California growing regions. RRV Chards are rarely big, buttery bombs though.

Perhaps the magic of the Camelot is that it doesnt taste like Chardonnay, or from anywhere in particular, at all ...

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
... and from LHR and MUC last month and this month. The only difference is that the LHR ovenable sandwich is cheese only, and never has Turkey or any other meat.

Originally Posted by fly747first
So UA discontinued the mid-flight snack on this route then?
There are small mini sandwiches and the regular snack basket available mid-flight. The ovenable sandwich replaces the old pre-arrival meal of Chicken / Pizza / Hamburger Wellington.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 10:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
Wow, I didn't know that "ovenable" was even a word! LOL (spell check says it isn't!)
ovenable
[ uhv-uh-nuh-buhl ]
adjective
able to be cooked in an oven.
noting or pertaining to heat-resistant packaging ready for cooking in an oven, especially a microwave.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by greenpau

There are small mini sandwiches and the regular snack basket available mid-flight. The ovenable sandwich replaces the old pre-arrival meal of Chicken / Pizza / Hamburger Wellington.
I wish UA would try a bit harder. Polaris has really gone downhill. Thanks for confirming that at least there are still mini sandwiches on this route between meals.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 10:24 pm

The pre-arrival meal was an egg and cheese sandwich (below). It looks not great, but it was surprisingly really tasty!
The snack sandwich (also below) was objectively horrible tho

11.2.20 SFO-PVG pre-arrival meal

11.2.20 SFO-PVG mid-flight snack
Old Nov 14, 2020, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Expat_flyer1
The pre-arrival meal was an egg and cheese sandwich (below). It looks not great, but it was surprisingly really tasty!

11.2.20 SFO-PVG pre-arrival meal

11.2.20 SFO-PVG mid-flight snack
Yikes! They both look like they came from a middle school cafeteria... these don't belong in a long-haul premium cabin. I have to go to Europe in January and will definitely not book UA.
bocastephen likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 11:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Expat_flyer1
Oh dear, someone better not let Kirby know you got one slice of meat AND a slice of cheese!

In all seriousness, this is a failure on so many levels. Just fly someone else - your PVG trip should have been on ANA or OZ.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 11:49 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Missing the nuts, appetizer, choice of bread, and cheese course + tarts + ice cream toppings. Otherwise, it's the same as any other post-COVID meals.

Originally Posted by greenpau
All fair points, and I can usually soldier on with the best of them, but the Camelot Chardonnay is barely drinkable to me. In fact, I couldnt get through a glass of it, and the Flight Attendant joked that they had been warned it could cause blindness. UA are sourcing the mini bottles at just under $.65 each, given the scale.

There have been very few RRV Chardonnays, if any, I recall in the Polaris lineup. There was a Mondavi in Global First at one point, and the Landmark Overlook is a multi-region blend. The others on the regular cycle - Wente, Mer Soleil, Hahn - are all other California growing regions. RRV Chards are rarely big, buttery bombs though.

Perhaps the magic of the Camelot is that it doesnt taste like Chardonnay, or from anywhere in particular, at all ...
To be fair, on one of the recent flights, the FA thought I did not like the chard because I asked to switch.

As regards to RRV Chard, I thought I had one on my flight to HKG last year, but then again, the menu does not match what they actually served so I can't confirm. And yes, agree that RRV Chard is typically not in your face buttery, but that's part of the winemaker's mastery (or trickery).
Old Nov 15, 2020, 12:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Missing the nuts, appetizer, choice of bread, and cheese course + tarts + ice cream toppings. Otherwise, it's the same as any other post-COVID meals.
From the meal photos, aside from missing the items listed above, it looks like the food quantity is cut by a good 50% compared with pre-coronavirus. What I am seeing from the reports is Polaris service today = domestic F service yesterday.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As regards to RRV Chard, I thought I had one on my flight to HKG last year, but then again, the menu does not match what they actually served so I can't confirm.
Was there actually a wine list on the menu of your HKG flight? I do not remember a printed wine list in Polaris all of last year and some time before that.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 3:19 am

Getting into China is pretty tough these days, only a few airlines that can do direct flights from the US.

I'm just glad they let me onto the flight and had a hot lunch! lol
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Oh dear, someone better not let Kirby know you got one slice of meat AND a slice of cheese!

In all seriousness, this is a failure on so many levels. Just fly someone else - your PVG trip should have been on ANA or OZ.
Kirby is a natural when it comes to destroying any quality experience.

OZ is in trouble and there are rumors it may get bought by KE. ANA is still fantastic!
bocastephen likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.