FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2020] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2001958-consolidated-global-services-thread-benefits-questions-experiences-2020-a.html)

johnsmith Jan 10, 2020 11:29 am

I had a similar call this am. I talked to a very seasoned agent and explained that the absolute lack of transparency on the program is bizarre (she agreed) and she said the agents will continue to try to help the GS passengers as much as possible work within (around) these rule changes -- i.e., booking one way tickets for companion flights--but that the agents don't understand the intent of the changes either.
she also commented that the one segment approach is bizarre, since a normal award (i.e., DCA-EWR-LHR) wouldn't price separately. How / why would you allow conversion for a companion on EWR-LHR and then overprice the DCA-EWR segment. just odd

twkidM3 Jan 10, 2020 12:26 pm

Any lifetime GS receive their kit? Also have your lifetime annual 6 GPU / 2 GPU posted for PointsPlus if you did not meet 1k last yr?

UAFLYER22 Jan 10, 2020 12:33 pm

If a former GS, who was given a soft landing this year to 1K, still had 40 plus points from GS year, can they apply those to a flight on Feb 2nd? I know they will officially be downgraded to 1K after Jan 31.

PanAmWT Jan 10, 2020 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by twkidM3 (Post 31933984)
Any lifetime GS receive their kit? Also have your lifetime annual 6 GPU / 2 GPU posted for PointsPlus if you did not meet 1k last yr?

No and No (I did receive the RPU equivalents - because I met the Platinum?)

RAPUAFlyer Jan 10, 2020 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by UAFLYER22 (Post 31934011)
If a former GS, who was given a soft landing this year to 1K, still had 40 plus points from GS year, can they apply those to a flight on Feb 2nd? I know they will officially be downgraded to 1K after Jan 31.

I believe you can call GS (or 1K) and ask that the points expiration be extended to April 1st and thus use them. Otherwise, they expire Jan 31.

kirkwoodj Jan 10, 2020 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by RAPUAFlyer (Post 31934027)
I believe you can call GS (or 1K) and ask that the points expiration be extended to April 1st and thus use them. Otherwise, they expire Jan 31.

They extend up to 80 points until April 30

UAFLYER22 Jan 10, 2020 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj (Post 31934202)
They extend up to 80 points until April 30

so if extended and then applied to a Feb 2nd flight before Jan 31, would they clear into PN?

diablo2man Jan 10, 2020 4:39 pm

New GS here and appreciate this thread very much! Two quick questions:

1. the companion forced upgrade rule - does the companion need to be under same record locator or just same flight?
2. the new one segment rule - can I create two one way tickets for my companions if I’m on a round trip ticket or I need to be on two one way tickets as well?
3. Can I use LHR’s first class lounge if I’m upgraded to business (vs paid business fare)?

thanks!

HoyaSFOIAD Jan 10, 2020 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by diablo2man (Post 31934842)

1. the companion forced upgrade rule - does the companion need to be under same record locator or just same flight? Same flight. By definition it will be a separate PNR
2. the new one segment rule - can I create two one way tickets for my companions if I’m on a round trip ticket or I need to be on two one way tickets as well? Debatable if this is actually a rule. Call GS and tell them what you are trying to do and HUCA until you get a helpful agent.
3. Can I use LHR’s first class lounge if I’m upgraded to business (vs paid business fare)? Yes

thanks!

villox Jan 10, 2020 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by diablo2man (Post 31934842)

1. the companion forced upgrade rule - does the companion need to be under same record locator or just same flight?
2. the new one segment rule - can I create two one way tickets for my companions if I’m on a round trip ticket or I need to be on two one way tickets as well?
3. Can I use LHR’s first class lounge if I’m upgraded to business (vs paid business fare)?

thanks!

1. it will always be a separate PNR. You can’t mix fare classes
2. Unknown if you could get away with 2 one ways, they’re being vague about which workarounds are acceptable
3. yes. And if you are a Club Card member, you can bring a guest.

Weatherboy Jan 10, 2020 6:35 pm

SDC

Called the GS line to make a SDC on my 3 leg trip into a shorter 2 leg trip. She said even as GS, I would have to pay $200 change fee because my routing was changing. But then she said she sees I'm 2MMer and would waive the fee.

I think it was fishy on both counts but I got what I wanted and didn't have HUCA.

HawaiiSailor Jan 10, 2020 7:54 pm

Although I’ve only been GS for 5 days, I’ve already had an agent grant favorable exceptions to the stated GS companion policy (after putting me on hold and calling someone). Perhaps the change around the “one exception per ticket” and “only one segment” is the new stated guideline to counter folks who may (in UAs opinion) use the benefits “too much,” but that otherwise they have latitude to do more than that based on some new unstated or one-off review criteria.

greenpau Jan 10, 2020 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by HawaiiSailor (Post 31935366)
Although I’ve only been GS for 5 days, I’ve already had an agent grant favorable exceptions to the stated GS companion policy (after putting me on hold and calling someone). Perhaps the change around the “one exception per ticket” and “only one segment” is the new stated guideline to counter folks who may (in UAs opinion) use the benefits “too much,” but that otherwise they have latitude to do more than that based on some new unstated or one-off review criteria.

We all have our HUCA exceptions and waivers - you’ll find it’s one of the best elements of the program - for example, today one agent I know well waived my $350 change fee without even prompting, while the next one required the change fee immediately. Bottom line it depends who you get, but they are not sophisticated enough to manage exceptions given the sheer volume. They’ve stepped up agent audit and reviews, apparently, and that’s a deterrent to flexibility, for sure. I’m confident the one segment rule is implementation confusion that will eventually be fixed.

HawaiiSailor Jan 10, 2020 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by greenpau (Post 31935452)
We all have our HUCA exceptions and waivers - you’ll find it’s one of the best elements of the program - for example, today one agent I know well waived my $350 change fee without even prompting, while the next one required the change fee immediately. Bottom line it depends who you get, but they are not sophisticated enough to manage exceptions given the sheer volume. They’ve stepped up agent audit and reviews, apparently, and that’s a deterrent to flexibility, for sure. I’m confident the one segment rule is implementation confusion that will eventually be fixed.

Yeah so maybe nothing new then, but I really appreciated it, and didn’t even need to HUACA. Does anyone actively keep track somehow of the agents they speak to over the years by name..? Sorry if there some GS newbie thread where all this is at :)

Lawyerneering Jan 10, 2020 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by HawaiiSailor (Post 31935483)
Does anyone actively keep track somehow of the agents they speak to over the years by name?

No that’s a bit over the top.