FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2020] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2001958-consolidated-global-services-thread-benefits-questions-experiences-2020-a.html)

PanAmWT Jan 9, 2020 3:26 pm

So if we want to use the benefit of companion on Savers J and fly together, our companion must buy J one way. In international itineraries a one-way J can be significantly more expensive than half of a RT J. The net result makes the benefit much less attractive.

villox Jan 9, 2020 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by PanAmWT (Post 31930287)
So if we want to use the benefit of companion on Savers J and fly together, our companion must buy J one way. In international itineraries a one-way J can be significantly more expensive than half of a RT J. The net result makes the benefit much less attractive.

well no you can waitlist for an upgrade or use an exorbitant amount of miles for a standard award.

manstein58 Jan 9, 2020 3:53 pm

I am going right to the top and write Oscar. No point writing the other guy

AugustusM Jan 9, 2020 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by manstein58 (Post 31930375)
I am going right to the top and write Oscar. No point writing the other guy

Is his email publicly available?

villox Jan 9, 2020 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by HoyaSFOIAD (Post 31930275)
Another conflicting datapoint:

Called to book myself round trip in first, had no problem opening up saver biz both ways round trip for my wife. Asked about a change to that program, agent said she had heard that it is not a new policy, rather an artifact of the change that hadn’t been smoothed out yet.

as much as I hope this is true, I’m struggling to understand what policy they THOUGHT they were implementing especially when it’s been confirmed by multiple supervisors.

PanAmWT Jan 9, 2020 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by villox (Post 31930326)
well no you can waitlist for an upgrade or use an exorbitant amount of miles for a standard award.

You are right. waitlist is not the same as flying in J. But you can use miles for a standard or super-standard award. Although when it hit 270K miles last week for PVG-SFO (UA890, 1/6/2020) it did not sound much better than buying J one-way: $4500, You get about 50 K RDM back (including credit card miles at 3/$), so the free J ticket cost is 320K miles)

HoyaSFOIAD Jan 9, 2020 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by villox (Post 31930570)
as much as I hope this is true, I’m struggling to understand what policy they THOUGHT they were implementing especially when it’s been confirmed by multiple supervisors.

who knows. The only thing I know is that I a) get really good advice here and b) this place suffers excruciatingly from “small n” for those in stats. Leads to the perception that the tail is wagging the dog far too often.

kb1992 Jan 9, 2020 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by PanAmWT (Post 31931542)
You are right. waitlist is not the same as flying in J. But you can use miles for a standard or super-standard award. Although when it hit 270K miles last week for PVG-SFO (UA890, 1/6/2020) it did not sound much better than buying J one-way: $4500, You get about 50 K RDM back (including credit card miles at 3/$), so the free J ticket cost is 320K miles)

You might even find $3500-$5000 J tickets R/T. You get 40-50K RDM back.

With sky-high price of standard awards 540K miles R/T, the actual price is almost 600K miles.

UA has sharply devaluation of MP miles. That's why many people canceled UA credit cards.

311Hokie Jan 10, 2020 8:46 am

New GS here. I've read the wiki and quite a few of the threads. Like many on here, I frequently travel internationally in business (D). One of the perks I was most excited about for GS was the ability to have my wife accompany me at a very reduced price.

Could someone confirm/rank what has "traditionally" been the most cost efficient way to book a +1 on existing itinerary with paid int'l business?

My understanding is that there are several options:

1. Pay cash for full/discounted economy on same itinerary and then use plus points or miles to force upgrade
2. Pay points for full/discounted economy and then use PP or miles to force upgrade
3. Open up discounted/saver business class (PN) and pay for ticket via points or cash

I realize there are other options but looking for what traditionally people have done (excepting the recent rumors of opening space for 1 way only).

Thanks.

AugustusM Jan 10, 2020 8:50 am

Originally Posted by 311Hokie (Post 31932937)
New GS here. I've read the wiki and quite a few of the threads. Like many on here, I frequently travel internationally in business (D). One of the perks I was most excited about for GS was the ability to have my wife accompany me at a very reduced price.

Could someone confirm/rank what has "traditionally" been the most cost efficient way to book a +1 on existing itinerary with paid int'l business?

1. Pay cash for full/discounted economy on same itinerary and then use plus points or miles to force upgrade
2. Pay points for full/discounted economy and then use PP or miles to force upgrade
3. Open up discounted/saver business class (PN) and pay for ticket via points or cash

I realize there are other options but looking for what traditionally people have done (excepting the recent rumors of opening space for 1 way only).

Thanks.

I almost always do the miles plus upgrade route since I have so many miles and they accumulate faster than I burn them.

villox Jan 10, 2020 9:01 am

Originally Posted by 311Hokie (Post 31932937)

Thanks.

As an addendum to 2, some agents will let you convert T->XN and then use PP to force the upgrade. Others consider this two exceptions. Even others will open up XN and force the upgrade even if T isn't available.

Personally I try to use miles+PP (formerly GPU) as much as possible because the ticket is fully changeable and PP expire.

limey1K Jan 10, 2020 10:58 am

Newly minted here and trying to understand the unpublished benefits. I'd like to fly in Polaris using miles or miles and PP combo on the flight below but based on my understanding, I may be SOL:

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...73f27d8ab3.png

I understand from the wiki that:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available. No T space available
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if PZ inventory is available. No PZ space available
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business / First with a GPU if PN inventory is available. YN available but PN space unavailable
Did I get all that correct?

drklain Jan 10, 2020 11:11 am

New GS here as well and truly appreciate all the information that has been shared (above couple of posts on exactly how to work the companion deal is exactly the kind of detail that is incredibly useful!). A couple of other questions that aren't totally clear from the Wiki, the less-than-clear United GS benefits page, etc.:
  1. I applied some expiring plus points for a friend who is traveling domestically in about 10 days. I applied the PPs (and the upgrades were waitlisted) back in December when I was a 1K. Should I be contacting the GS desk on this to change it to a "GS requested upgrade" (assuming that makes a difference?
  2. I'm still unclear on how the "force an upgrade" for a friend works. I know if they are traveling on same flight as you, you can call GS and force it through at time of booking (assuming enough space left in first (domestic)/businessfirst (international). How does it work in the case of #1 above where I am not traveling with them? Wait until T-120? Call now? Something else?
  3. Several posts refer to being able to push upgrade through when at top of upgrade list. How do you know you are at the top of the list? Can you see it somewhere or is it by calling GS line (where agents can see it and will tell you status of list unlike 1K agents)?
  4. I fly mainly out of IAD, almost all international travel. I normally check-in online, and use CLEAR/TSA-Pre to clear security. Is there any benefit to going to the Global Services Check-in desk if not checking a bag? Is there any lounge other than the regular United lounges?
  5. I found reference that GS flying first class to Germany and connecting there could use the LH 1st class lounge instead of the Senator lounge open to Star Alliance Golds. Now that UA no longer has first class, does this apply to GS flying in UA business First? I frequently connect through FRA on way to Middle East - UA BF to FRA, then LH business to the Middle East (no first on either plane). Would I be able to use the LH FC lounge during the layover or do I stay in the (frequently crowded) Senator lounges?
  6. As a recent UA Million Miler (last fall) my wife now has my status (she was a 1K, now a GS). Will she get her own plus points annually or does that not happen since she is an "add on" status? What's the best strategy when doing family travel with your wife and two kids?
  7. Any other tips you care to share for a new (and excited) GS?

greenpau Jan 10, 2020 11:23 am

So same experience - last night two agents provided more context on the new rules/policy, and one said that further clarification and advice notes had been added to the policy to clear up confusion and had been sent out in a bulletin. One agent expressed concern that they are being "monitored very closely now". Both agents relayed the same policy word for word - one conversion, per segment, per PNR. The second incredibly seasoned agent opened up more and agreed that it was "completely non-sensical ... the one conversion per PNR, OK, but per SEGMENT versus direction seems especially confusing and harsh, especially given the way the airline is building its route network". She also said the change seems to have been made "because the old rules were too liberal; the airline wants people to reduce miles and PlusPoints balances faster; the new PlusPoints system is built around individual segments versus direction; and with more GS being added the change was made to bring GS benefits more in line with the other Elite levels".

Basically, a big devaluation and speaks to what is going on in the background. Also, just doesn't seem to make sense from an implementation point of view, at least at the "one segment" level. I am going to write my letter in today.

greenpau Jan 10, 2020 11:27 am

Originally Posted by limey1K (Post 31933589)
Newly minted here and trying to understand the unpublished benefits. I'd like to fly in Polaris using miles or miles and PP combo on the flight below but based on my understanding, I may be SOL:

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...73f27d8ab3.png

I understand from the wiki that:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available. No T space available
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if PZ inventory is available. No PZ space available
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business / First with a GPU if PN inventory is available. YN available but PN space unavailable
Did I get all that correct?

All correct in this instance. YN is actually an Everyday Award subject to dynamic pricing. This is where I would set ExpertFlyer alerts for T-Class, which sometimes can open up very close to departure, and you can call in to exchange the ticket for the lower fare. If you waitlist, remember you can call in within 72h and be cleared if J=3 or greater, and you are top of the list.