FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2020] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2001958-consolidated-global-services-thread-benefits-questions-experiences-2020-a.html)

WineCountryUA Jan 16, 2020 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by tillertyler (Post 31959037)
Hmm, understand that 1k sponsored upgrades clear into PZ and GS sponsored upgrades clear into PN. But how does that reconcile with the policy that upgrade priority is based on the status of the traveler when the traveler is GS but the upgrade was sponsored by a 1k? It seems that the gate upgrade list should prioritize premier status of traveler irrespective of upgrade instrument source? ...

There are no public publish rules for GS or PZ (except 1K Instant upgrade) and it is the upgrade instrument that determines the inventory used. Status, itself, does not determine the fare class (yes shorthand , many say that but in reality, it is the instrument). This is how a non-G using a GS instrument gets PZ access and it works the same in reverse.

Originally Posted by tillertyler (Post 31959037)
Just curious, has anybody had any experience calling in to the GS line to have a 1k sponsored upgrade for a GS traveler cleared into PN space post upgrade request?

That would be a manual adjustment and YMMV, but some have had success.

tillertyler Jan 16, 2020 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by kb1992 (Post 31959194)
I have.

At T-72 my upgrade was still waitlisted, sponsored by 1K. Since J=6, PN=0 at that point, I called GS line and the agent pushed upgrade through.

After the ticket was reissued, I saw it showed PN instead of PZ.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 31959450)
That would be a manual adjustment and YMMV, but some have had success.

Thank you, good to know.

Kleinnaf Jan 17, 2020 12:12 am

Originally Posted by tillertyler (Post 31959667)
Thank you, good to know.

I've had success doing so quite a few times
However all this was before the conversion to pluspoints

physioprof Jan 17, 2020 3:14 am

I have been told a couple days ago by a GS rep via email that for purposes of granting exceptions (forced companion saver & forced upgrades), only one of two one-way tickets that are deemed to constitute a de facto "round trip" will be granted an exception. As when I was told this by a GS phone agent, I did not attempt to gain clarification of the precise standard for determining when two one-way tickets constitute a "round trip".

And before anyone suggests it, I have zero intention of trying to game this out with HUCA or working with one agent to gain exception on some one-ways and another agent for the others. The gist of what I was told on the phone is that UA is scrutinizing GS exception practices much more closely now and I absolutely will not try to avoid what I have been told is the new rule, although it definitely will cost me a huge amount of miles.

nomad420 Jan 17, 2020 12:11 pm

Well for what will probably be one of my last flights as a GS didn't clear instrument upgrade on PHX - SFO today. Last slap I guess....

greenpau Jan 17, 2020 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by physioprof (Post 31961176)
I have been told a couple days ago by a GS rep via email that for purposes of granting exceptions (forced companion saver & forced upgrades), only one of two one-way tickets that are deemed to constitute a de facto "round trip" will be granted an exception. As when I was told this by a GS phone agent, I did not attempt to gain clarification of the precise standard for determining when two one-way tickets constitute a "round trip".

And before anyone suggests it, I have zero intention of trying to game this out with HUCA or working with one agent to gain exception on some one-ways and another agent for the others. The gist of what I was told on the phone is that UA is scrutinizing GS exception practices much more closely now and I absolutely will not try to avoid what I have been told is the new rule, although it definitely will cost me a huge amount of miles.

Hi physioprof, would you mind sharing the context in which you wrote in to GS, and what questions/clarifications were asked? For example, was it phrased as a question on policy, or a complaint, etc?

I have been specifically told to book two one ways by agents, and again this is just confusion in how this is rolled out and applied. Some interpret the rules as one segment, per PNR, others not. True YMMV. I still contest that this is a big downgrade in benefits, and quite shortsighted on the UA side. It is is going to significantly influence travel choice on my side - it seems I can spend half the amount and get into GS - the balance can be spent on cheaper options for companion travel on other carriers.

johnsmith Jan 17, 2020 1:07 pm

what is going on with GS hold times...its a Friday afternoon and I'm listening to Rhapsody in Blue...3pm and the hold time was quoted as 5-10 minutes and I'm getting close to 10

greenpau Jan 17, 2020 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by johnsmith (Post 31963105)
what is going on with GS hold times...its a Friday afternoon and I'm listening to Rhapsody in Blue...3pm and the hold time was quoted as 5-10 minutes and I'm getting close to 10

Midwest Storm / Travel Waiver. They are very busy.

steviebas Jan 17, 2020 4:06 pm

New GS: Question on benefit - still there or not?

Per the Wiki
"GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business / First with a GPU if PN inventory is available, provided both instrument and miles drawn from GS member account. United-operated flights only."

But as I read the thread I am seeing statements that suggest XN/YN cannot be upgraded using Plus Points? Since GPU are now gone, does that mean the benefit is gone?

The base goal here is to get 2 Biz award tickets @ less than everyday pricing. I am not travelling - wife and her mother.
As i understand, I should be able to use my miles to buy 2 award tickets (XN) then upgrade using an instrument (plus points) as long as PN is available

If the benefit is gone can MOD maybe update the Wiki?

manstein58 Jan 17, 2020 5:08 pm

Big time shout out to the GS Lisbon team. Did everything right and made GS feel appreciated

united 1k flyer Jan 17, 2020 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by manstein58 (Post 31963862)
Big time shout out to the GS Lisbon team. Did everything right and made GS feel appreciated

There’s a GS team in Lisbon?

Originally Posted by steviebas (Post 31963709)
Per the Wiki
"GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business / First with a GPU if PN inventory is available, provided both instrument and miles drawn from GS member account. United-operated flights only."

But as I read the thread I am seeing statements that suggest XN/YN cannot be upgraded using Plus Points? Since GPU are now gone, does that mean the benefit is gone?

The base goal here is to get 2 Biz award tickets @ less than everyday pricing. I am not travelling - wife and her mother.
As i understand, I should be able to use my miles to buy 2 award tickets (XN) then upgrade using an instrument (plus points) as long as PN is available

No this benefit is still alive and well. Until united takes it away!

benewr Jan 17, 2020 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by united 1k flyer (Post 31963929)
There’s a GS team in Lisbon?

Yes, and they are amazing ! Even leave a little note on your seat every time !

wxguy Jan 17, 2020 8:32 pm

Per the Wiki

Wiki updated to remove GPU and replace with PlusPoints. Thanks for pointing that out... I thought I changed all GPU/RPU references but missed that one!

n8-the-gr8 Jan 18, 2020 1:26 pm

Per the Wiki

As others have stated this is still an official benefit. It’s one of the few exceptions actually published as a GS benefit.

Plus Points have actually made this easier as you can now request it online like a normal upgrade whereas before you had to call the GS line I believe.

manstein58 Jan 18, 2020 5:07 pm

Curious here: my daughter- who is my companion GS- is on a flight tmrw morning from SFO to IAH. Way more than 4 seats available for upgrade. Called GS and was told they could not push this upgrade through. Correct?

Also using “Pluspoints”