Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Unconfirmed] UA Preparing to Sell E+ at Booking as Separate Cabin (like DL C+)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Unconfirmed] UA Preparing to Sell E+ at Booking as Separate Cabin (like DL C+)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2019, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Is the DL C+ system also applied to international/overseas tickets?
If so, I imagine such a rollout could affect overseas reservations eventually as well .....
Yes, same rules for international flights.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by 1353513636
I don't think they need to remove E+ from Golds to offer this....more concerning to one's ability to get E+ is the tiny E+ cabins on the new 787 retrofits. I am happy about this as they were leaving money on the table with the old system, for example, I'm allowed to book PE on transcons but not allowed to pay for premium seats....but most flights on UA didn't have PE so I was stuck in E-.

I'd even buy these out of my own pocket if I could get an E+ seat at booking and mileage credit for a B fare to a foreign program.
Let's assume that 50% of business flyers are in the same situation as you, then this change would mean that there would be a huge increase in the percentage of "sold" E+ seats because previously unbookable seats now fit into corporate criteria for "economy" travel. This should result in an average price increase, and thus more revenue, for UA and decreased availability of "free" E+ for elites, no?
SFO_LOW_CLOUDS likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by findark
Yes, same rules for international flights.
Generally yes, but some DL widebody international aircraft currently have premium economy but not C+.

Also, IIRC southern South America flights had been treated differently and continuing to permit C+ access by paying just the seat fee, with elites being able to pick these seats themselves since C+ wasn't treated as a separate cabin class on these routes. I don't know whether this has changed recently to mirror how C+ is handled on other routes.
findark likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by zombietooth
...This should result in an average price increase, and thus more revenue, for UA and decreased availability of "free" E+ for elites, no?
Yes. Some business travelers will now be able to book economy fares that include E+ seats that they would not normally occupy. It will affect some who book the cheaper (non-BE) fares and want the free E+ due to shrinking availability..

All we know is that E+ is potentially being bundled w/ some fares. UA hasn't gurgled anything about changes to free E+ selection - that is all speculation. The only real impact that can be discerned from the bundling at this point is probably less inventory of E+ seats for free.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Nov 8, 2019 at 10:41 am
Old Nov 8, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
If they remove E+ from Gold, then I'm kind of glad that they devalued the program - it just confirms my view that I'm done with UA after I've used the instruments I earned for 2020.
If true, i will not go to extra lengths to get to MM next year.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
This is CLEARLY what's coming (E+ as a separate booking class)... it's painfully obvious. We'll see how UA handles the E+ seating benefit for elites.
Silver Fox, narvik, Kacee and 1 others like this.

Last edited by EWR764; Nov 8, 2019 at 10:55 am
Old Nov 8, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Maybe the most important question is "how far in advance would United tell us that the E+ benefit is going to become more restrictive?" (whether Golds lose at-booking, or other reductions).
Old Nov 8, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Let's assume that 50% of business flyers are in the same situation as you, then this change would mean that there would be a huge increase in the percentage of "sold" E+ seats because previously unbookable seats now fit into corporate criteria for "economy" travel. This should result in an average price increase, and thus more revenue, for UA and decreased availability of "free" E+ for elites, no?
Totally agree. While this will piss off a bunch of frequent flyers, it is a brilliant revenue move.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 11:47 am

Location: DFW from PDX - UA 1K 2MM,Lifetime HHonnors Diamond, Bonvoy AMB/LT Tit, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Delta C+ and AA MCE

Wonder if UA will start giving drinks like AA/DL in these rows now. DL also does better snacks in C+.
boeingair likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
If they remove E+ from Gold, then I'm kind of glad that they devalued the program - it just confirms my view that I'm done with UA after I've used the instruments I earned for 2020.
Yep - that sound you hear is just one more nail being pounded into the coffin.

Originally Posted by dilanesp
E- isn't bad. It's standard legacy carrier Economy. Perhaps a bit worse than DL and a bit better than AA.

But yes, any business traveler working on the plane is going to at least want an extra legroom seat.
Um, I'm guessing you're not 6'5" - E- in torture for me.

Originally Posted by jasonp622
If true, i will not go to extra lengths to get to MM next year.
In spades. What have I done wrong that UA hates me so much. I'm a decades-long loyal traveler, having flown nothing by UA or their partners. They can thank be for being a loyal 1K customer, but every action they take says otherwise.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 12:37 pm

This is definitely another prime example of devaluing UA status, but not surprising since almost every change they make is for the worse. On the flip side, this is a potential benefit for all of the non-UA *A fliers, as we may (hopefully) be able to earn more miles on a UA flight when booking E+. As it stands now, there is no benefit to paying extra for E+ in terms of earning. As long as UA has their ridiculous MQD, I will continue to earn with any other *A program that does not have such requirements. Basically, it is just one more reason to choose a program other than UA for earning mileage.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM. UA 1k 1MM
Pretty soon they will put a coin slot on the lavatory door.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I guess that depends on what year you start "legacy". Noone is going to tell me UA's current average E- coach pitch is the same as it was 20 years ago. And no one is goin to tell me 10-across on some planes is "legacy".
1. I don't know about "average", but 31 inch pitch has been industry standard since at least the early 1980's. If you want to say RJ's and a couple of high density 30" configurations bring the average down a bit, maybe. At the same time, modern seats are ergonomic and have adjustable headrests too.

2. Only one plane, the 777, has the narrow seats, and they are still just about 17" wide, i.e., no narrower than the seats on an old 727.

3. And by the way- I am 6'3". I love the E+ benefit. I am just saying, there's nothing particularly outrageous about E-, it's industry standard economy.

Last edited by dilanesp; Nov 8, 2019 at 1:03 pm
Old Nov 8, 2019, 12:59 pm

I can't say that's unjust, though. Really, people paying full fare or close to it should have always had access to E+. It's weird that they didn't.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by downinit
This is definitely another prime example of devaluing UA status, but not surprising since almost every change they make is for the worse. On the flip side, this is a potential benefit for all of the non-UA *A fliers, as we may (hopefully) be able to earn more miles on a UA flight when booking E+. As it stands now, there is no benefit to paying extra for E+ in terms of earning. As long as UA has their ridiculous MQD, I will continue to earn with any other *A program that does not have such requirements. Basically, it is just one more reason to choose a program other than UA for earning mileage.
I should also add that with all the emphasis on spend, it is also weird that E+ ever didn't count as spend. Bag fees and BOB too.

If you are spending on UA, it should count as spend.
downinit likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.