Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Unconfirmed] UA Preparing to Sell E+ at Booking as Separate Cabin (like DL C+)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Unconfirmed] UA Preparing to Sell E+ at Booking as Separate Cabin (like DL C+)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
If this all pans out, considering how much more E+ UA has compared to DL, I'd wager that UA would continue to give free E+ at booking to gold elites and above, as it is now. DL has much smaller E+ cabins and so naturally needs to be more restrictive. Of course, this assumes UA doesn't reduce the size of the E+ "cabins".
Old Nov 8, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
If this all pans out, considering how much more E+ UA has compared to DL, I'd wager that UA would continue to give free E+ at booking to gold elites and above, as it is now. DL has much smaller E+ cabins and so naturally needs to be more restrictive. Of course, this assumes UA doesn't reduce the size of the E+ "cabins".
You're kidding right? Bigger cabin just means they have more seats they can monetize.

They may ultimately CPU people to the next higher cabin, if the seats remain unsold. But my prediction is that in 2022, UA elites will be complaining about E+ upgrades being sold out from under them as TOD upgrades (and these types of upgrades may literally be TOD upgrades as opposed to HOD upgrades). Wouldn't be surprised to see an offer for E+ for as little as $20 at check-in.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
If there is no free E+ at booking for Gold and above...yikes. I'm not tall at all, and I find the E- seating pretty uncomfortable. As someone mentioned above, I think this only makes sense if Kirby decides that Project Oasis is exactly what UA needs right now - my sense is that UA does not fill up E+ at booking by any stretch on most flights and ends up handing a decent number of folks the seat for free. I wouldn't be shocked if they think this is a backhanded way of dealing with their capacity issues due to the MAX grounding, which could go on for who knows how long.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 4:34 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh
Not a surprise, it's just more market segmentation used as a tactic to increase pricing, it's text book. There will be fewer and fewer seats at lower prices but 25 flavors of upgrades at progressively higher prices but it will be marketed as offering customers more ways to save money. Loyalty is increasingly in name only, profits trump loyalty with the current United management.
Higher prices mean easier MP qualification

If it's true, I wonder if UA will also copy Delta's boarding order, which gives C+ boarding ahead of all-but-diamond elites (to entice someone to justify the price jump). So will it become 1K, First, E+, *G....

Also for Amex cardholders, purchasing C+ on Delta does not qualify for airline incidentals reimbursement because it's an upgrade and not a paid seat fee. Not sure how E+ works currently or if is another area that might change for y'all.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
False alarm...for now.

United told me:

Originally Posted by United
We’re running a very limited test in a small number of markets that displays EconomyPlus as a booking option during shopping to allow customers to easily shop and compare different seat offerings. EconomyPlus continues to be a part of the Economy cabin and is not a separate fare.
drewguy likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
False alarm...for now.

United told me:
...to allow customers to easily shop...

just like the new earnings plan for 2020 was marketed as being less complicated and easier to understand?
Silver Fox and narvik like this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dilanesp
E- isn't bad. It's standard legacy carrier Economy.
Once a year for a vacation? Sure. Third round trip transcon in 4 weeks? I'll find a way to not take the trip.

If they're going to kill or reduce the E+ benefit for Gold, then will there be any benefit for Silver at all anymore? I'm glad I switched almost all my flying away from UA - I have my first and maybe only UA flight this year next week.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dilanesp
E- isn't bad. It's standard legacy carrier Economy.
Those two things are not mutually exclusive. It's both.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by STS-134
If I wasn't already leaving MileagePlus next year, I'd be scared. But this just further affirms my decision to jump to OZ or A3 *G. Since UA's devaluing all of the UA-specific benefits, there's no reason to get *G with them anymore.
Yes. This move really kills the elite members. I decided not to be loyal because of the way AA & UA treat elite members. UA & AA continue to cut down the perks. I also believe this move will attract general members (GM) or non-members. I am GM and I find it attractive because B class fare has good perks. No copay for mileage upgrade. B class can be cheaper than R class. If you accumulate B class fare to Miles and More you get 150% of miles flown, while UA normally gives you less than the miles flown based on the revenue based accrual system. If you use other *A membership, there is one caveat: I have the Explorer Card that I am entitled for free luggage and Group 2 boarding. If you credit the mileage to M&M, you don't get free checked bag and priority boarding.

So what does it mean? You get more rewards for your bucks when you are a member other than UA.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
False alarm...for now.

United told me:
'for now' ... the test will likely be very successful very quickly ... and btw, DL already ran the test for them Well, we'll see
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 5:48 pm

False alarm...for now.

United told me:
Soooo basically, they didn't deny it. Nor did they issue any statements saying that they do not intend to roll this out to the entire UA fleet...interesting.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 6:00 pm

The fare class already exists. I booked a flight from EWR to PHX in the E+ fare class about 3 weeks ago. Will be fly on Sunday. Sadly, there was no PN class availability at the time of booking so the instant upgrade didn't come through.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by STS-134
Soooo basically, they didn't deny it. Nor did they issue any statements saying that they do not intend to roll this out to the entire UA fleet...interesting.
They said they're testing a concept. It would be ridiculous for them to say "we assume that the test will be unsuccessful."

Selling B fares that include E+, even at a discount compared to a regular B fare, doesn't immediately imply all of the doom and gloom scenarios in this thread. Maybe they're just trying to sell more E+ seats. They've been selling fares with E+ included for some time now -- international PE fares include E+ -- in B class -- on the domestic connectors.

Originally Posted by bugz
The fare class already exists. I booked a flight from EWR to PHX in the E+ fare class about 3 weeks ago. Will be fly on Sunday. Sadly, there was no PN class availability at the time of booking so the instant upgrade didn't come through.
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Keep checking your flight; if upgrade space appears, you should be able to get it. Note that only 1K and GS members will clear into PN; other members with Premier status would require PZ availability.
drewguy likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 6:12 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
Originally Posted by jasonp622
If true, i will not go to extra lengths to get to MM next year.
Whether it is true or not it confirms my decision to not do that 7 TPAC trips this coming year to make it to MM. This whole scenario just added to my list of reasons to forget MM and forget any loyalty to UA.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 6:21 pm

Perhaps I’m missing something here but how does this impact Premiers? We can still buy K fares and get our free E+ seat as always. Unless and until UA strips Premiers of E+ seating which given how well the recent enhancements have gone doubt will happen.
drewguy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.