Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Airlines Kicks Elderly Professor Couple Off Late-Night Flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Airlines Kicks Elderly Professor Couple Off Late-Night Flight

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2019, 9:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by narvik
I don't see how having stock in three competing airlines WOULDN'T affect the quality of journalism, even if only slightly.

That belief might be strengthened by the mere fact that the disclosure only happens mid-article and immediately following a reference to the Dao incident.

I may be wrong, but I always thought such disclosures happened at the very beginning of articles.
The disclosure appears after two short lead paragraphs that summarize the story, before details appear in the following fifteen paragraphs.

The stuff about his journalism awards appears in his bio at the end of the article, which appears in a different font. It's not part of the article itself.

To me this looks like the normal sort of disclosure that would be required by many financial publications. If the reporter is interested in aviation, it's not unusual that he would invest in several airline stocks.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The stuff about his journalism awards appears in his bio at the end of the article, which appears in a different font. It's not part of the article itself.
Totally agree.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If the reporter is interested in aviation, it's not unusual that he would invest in several airline stocks.
Just not in the one this article is about!

Is there such a thing a objective journalism?

(admittedly, it recovered pretty fast afterward)

Last edited by narvik; Sep 13, 2019 at 9:47 am
Old Sep 13, 2019, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
For everyone commenting about the source being Forbes, note it's forbes.com/sites which is really just a collection of random blogs, not actual Forbes content.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 9:57 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
No this couple couldn't have been treated unfairly.

They weren't dragged off the plane after all.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
This is getting old, with some FA's that are overly sensitive, they are right, the customer is wrong attitude. One is gold, one is silver, take a brief moment FA and realize they may not be young anymore, but they aren't once a year travelers. Now to put them on some internal watch list? Pathetic. First thing I would do is jump ship and find a different airline. No need to touch UA again, ever.

Now, I've never had this happen to me with UA, but Sears once did something that made me never care about Sears again, so did Circuit City. Not because of me obviously, but one is out of business, and the other is close behind. I was so mad at Circuit City I celebrated the day they left the industry. With limited seats across the network, UA can do whatever right now, but if/when things slow down, these bad apples in the system could poison future bookings.
747FC likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
This is getting old, with some FA's that are overly sensitive, they are right, the customer is wrong attitude.
Sensitive to being physically accosted, you mean? The passenger admits to touching the FA.

This story is presumably as sympathetic as possible to the passengers, given that it's their side of the story, but it comes off as excessively petulant and whiny. It looks like nothing but a shakedown.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by jsloan
Sensitive to being physically accosted, you mean? The passenger admits to touching the FA.

This story is presumably as sympathetic as possible to the passengers, given that it's their side of the story, but it comes off as excessively petulant and whiny. It looks like nothing but a shakedown.
Tapping someone on the shoulder or elbow isn't accosted,assuming the story is correct. If so I have about a thousand claims per year toward others, and a few hundred will have claims toward me. Pinning down a person or grabbing and holding someone without letting go I completely agree.

The couple with no apparent previous problems and both with status are now suddenly on the radar of UA, which doesn't make sense. But somehow a BG5 person apparently took priority. I'd be beyond annoyed if I'm happily seated and some FA says I need to leave the airplane. With or without some alcohol in me, I'd be outspoken.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 10:49 am
Suspended

How is a 5-3 grandmother physically threatening?
Old Sep 13, 2019, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting - the mood on UA board seems to have shifted to match typical AA board response..

You werent dragged off the plane like certain others so shut up and be thankful that i am not pressing assault charges for tapping me on the elbow..
Old Sep 13, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Tapping someone on the shoulder or elbow isn't accosted,assuming the story is correct.
The devil is the detail here though, and it's certainly in their interest to downplay the exact way in which this "tapped her elbow" happened and what was said (and in which tone) at the time.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by wco81
How is a 5-3 grandmother physically threatening?
Because the FA said so.
iluv2fly and Kacee like this.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 10:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mduell
For everyone commenting about the source being Forbes, note it's forbes.com/sites which is really just a collection of random blogs, not actual Forbes content.
But obviously subject to Forbes' disclosure rules.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 11:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by narvik
The devil is the detail here though, and it's certainly in their interest to downplay the exact way in which this "tapped her elbow" happened and what was said (and in which tone) at the time.
What could she have possibly done to the stewardess? Pinch her? Sock her on the back of the head? Grab her butt?
Old Sep 13, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
As noted by WineCountry up-thread, this took place 3 months ago. It went to an internal UA review and was dismissed (for lack of a better term). Now the couple find a sympathetic ear and tell their story again. I don't want to be cynical, but this feels like a) half of the story to serve a personal agenda, b) precursor to a civil suit by the couple (note the repeated references they made to Dao, c) a reporter with a bit of an agenda (clickbait if you will). All in all, sounds a bit blown out of proportion to me.
FLYMSY, jsloan, narvik and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tapping someone on the shoulder or elbow isn't accosted,assuming the story is correct.
Any unwanted touching is assault. (Not all assaults will be, or should be, prosecuted). And, again, I'm assuming this is painted as rosily as possible for the soon-to-be-plaintiffs.
Silver Fox and wrp96 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.