Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Airlines Kicks Elderly Professor Couple Off Late-Night Flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Airlines Kicks Elderly Professor Couple Off Late-Night Flight

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2019, 6:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
One would also think that the boarding pass scanner would have beeped when the late group passenger tried to board for the same seat assignment as the retired faculty couple who had already boarded. However, some GAs are lazy and just override the beep without checking out what the problem is.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 6:59 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
One would also think that the boarding pass scanner would have beeped when the late group passenger tried to board for the same seat assignment as the retired faculty couple who had already boarded. However, some GAs are lazy and just override the beep without checking out what the problem is.
Maybe the original 24A was op-up'ed and no one noticed? Or 24A was op-up'ed but 24A & 24C both wanted the upgrade and refused to be separated (and conveniently left that part of the story out).

This is the most usual encounter with this type of situation (duplicate BP) and has happened numerous times to me. It would NOT trigger the "beep" as it's done deliberately.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To some earlier comments...

1 - Since this is a Forbes story, it is understandable the author disclosed his stock holdings for possible conflict of interest
2 - Yes, we only got 1/2 of the story but the author could not get UA to respond
3 - It also sounds to me the FA overreacted/wanted to cover her mistake
4 - In all cases, you just don't treat customers like this - especially 2 with statuses
5 - I can see the couple was hoping the UA internal process would clear them but it seemed to have made their lives worse. So, they decided to go public. Imagine if you have built up status and miles with UA and now UA treats you as enemy...
Old Sep 13, 2019, 7:01 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Then the FA/GA should have moved the original 24A up when the boarding passes were shown instead of just relocating the new 24A.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by username
...the author disclosed his stock holdings for possible conflict of interest.
If there's a possible conflict of interest he maybe shouldn't have written it!
Old Sep 13, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by bagwell
The gate agent only goes by what the computer system gives them for seat assignments, so it wasn't the gate agent that actually assigned dupe seats. May have been a software/computer glitch or something.....I fly twice a week on United and I can't EVER remember seeing dupe seat assignments, except when a PAX is looking at their connecting flight boarding pass in error or back in the old days before the computer assignments.
Only time I have seen dup BPs was in a standby situation where a pax had been in bathroom during boaridng and when they did the seat count they saw one open. So they sent a standby pax on. Now, one would think the computer would tell them the original pax had boarded...?
Old Sep 13, 2019, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Then the FA/GA should have moved the original 24A up when the boarding passes were shown instead of just relocating the new 24A.

Just noticed (they posted the FULL boarding pass, which is indeed ridiculous!), they were both on the upgrade standby list!
Their MAIN point of contention might have been that a Silver got upgraded before a Gold!

Last edited by narvik; Sep 13, 2019 at 8:56 am
Old Sep 13, 2019, 7:39 am

Programs: AA Plat
TBH I don't find them crazy. If I were them, I'd say go ahead and deplane everyone. If you want to be unreasonable, so will I. And UA doesn't cancel the flight as someone above said. They deplane everyone but the "offender," then drag them off sans iPhones, then reboard the flight.

But the thing I'm most troubled about is the Orwellian Passenger Incident Review Committee (PIRC). I've never heard of this in my life! Although a quick search suggests it's been around since at least 2012. Anyone ever get caught in their crosshairs?

Edit: Looks like UA's PIRC started in 2007.
narvik likes this.

Last edited by sexykitten7; Sep 13, 2019 at 7:50 am Reason: added links
Old Sep 13, 2019, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by sexykitten7
But the thing I'm most troubled about is the Orwellian Passenger Incident Review Committee (PIRC). I've never heard of this in my life!
<snip>. Anyone ever get caught in their crosshairs?
Hmmm, after reading some of that from the link you provided, I'm contemplating adjusting my point-of-view on this: their sole mission seems to be to support (i.e. protect) their FAs and other front-line staff.
Crosshairs indeed!
Old Sep 13, 2019, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by narvik
If there's a possible conflict of interest he maybe shouldn't have written it!
Isn't it customary in financial reporting that they do a full disclosure?
Old Sep 13, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
My favorite part of this article is "(Full disclosure: I own stock in American, JetBlue and Southwestern Airlines.)"

Sorry this article doesn't strike me as anything close to what Dao faced. Third party validation would be great.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
So a mistake was made, the situation resolved and then they couldn't let it go. OK.
phkc070408 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by leonidas

Seems like another David Dao type case.
No, it doesn’t. Not even close.

Interesting how this couple referenced Dao repeatedly during the interview, though.

Also, like how the Forbes writer had to mention that he’s won several journalism awards, with no specificity.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled assumptions and speculation.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
There's a long history of UA FAs overreacting and abusing their authority in situations like this. OTOH, there are usually third party witnesses willing to step up and support the passengers, and I don't see reference to that here. So who knows what really happened.

And btw, the reference to the author's airline stock holdings is undoubtedly mandated by Forbes' disclosure policies. That some here believe that somehow reflects on the quality of the journalism is [deleted to conform to FT rules].
Old Sep 13, 2019, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
And btw, the reference to the author's airline stock holdings is undoubtedly mandated by Forbes' disclosure policies. That some here believe that somehow reflects on the quality of the journalism is [deleted to conform to FT rules].
I don't see how having stock in three competing airlines WOULDN'T affect the quality of journalism, even if only slightly.

That belief might be strengthened by the mere fact that the disclosure only happens mid-article and immediately following a reference to the Dao incident.

I may be wrong, but I always thought such disclosures happened at the very beginning of articles.

Last edited by narvik; Sep 13, 2019 at 9:31 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.