Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United announces "MileagePlus Miles Never Expire" (effective immediately 28 Aug 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United Airlines Announces MileagePlus Miles Never Expire
Airline continues to make improvements to its award-winning MileagePlus loyalty program

CHICAGO, Aug. 28, 2019

-- United Airlines announced that effective immediately, MileagePlus award miles never expire, giving members a lifetime to use miles on flights, experiences, hotels and more.

"We want to demonstrate to our members that we are committing to them for the long-haul and giving customers a lifetime to use miles is an exceptionally meaningful benefit," said Luc Bondar, vice president of loyalty and president of MileagePlus at United. "Our MileagePlus program provides customers more ways to earn and use miles than any other U.S. airline. More customers used miles to book award trips in 2018 than in any year before, and we expect with today's announcement that even more will use miles to travel the world in the years to come."
Print Wikipost

United announces "MileagePlus Miles Never Expire" (effective immediately 28 Aug 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by porciuscato
Let's face it: this is United's BIG RESPONSE to the fact that every other rewards card (Amex Blue, Gold, Plat; Chase Freedom, Sapphire, Ink) is eating their lunch. I used to run up around $100K/year on the UA Club Card. Now it's about $2K. UA did their survey and everybody told them they don't want worthless miles at a low earn-rate. So instead of maintaining the miles' value or increasing the earnings rate, they did this pathetic measure. It's not going to work. I'm surprised they're that obtuse.
I completely agree. The only good thing AA (maybe by luck) did correctly, was never giving points conversion to any bank (only SPG had it, and Marriott kind of devalue it). So, with no SPG Amex Card anymore, you do need the AA Mastercard from Citi or Barclays, but with UA or DL, the CSR, CSP, Amex Gold, Amex Plat paired with Unlimited or BBP will give you always more than 1.5X UA miles and more than 2X DL Miles on everything!!! I only have the those kind of combo cards in my top of wallet, of course. And, if they devalue too much, I can always use them as Avios, WN Points, etc. etc. etc. #Kirbyispissed #yousigneditUAandDL
Old Aug 28, 2019, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let's face it: this is United's BIG RESPONSE to the fact that every other rewards card (Amex Blue, Gold, Plat; Chase Freedom, Sapphire, Ink) is eating their lunch.
I mean...

You do realize that the Explorer Card actually includes "miles won't expire" as a perk, right?

So your suggestion is that they're trying to catch up to the competition by removing a feature? That doesn't pass the sniff test, even for UA marketing. Whatever their rationale is, it's not trying to catch up to other rewards cards.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: Latam Pass Black; UA 1K, 1MM; Marriott LT
Who cares? We should delete this thread as it gives more importance to the announcement than it deserves.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
There will always be future devaluation. Almost by definition. I'm not sure this announcement accelerates that in any particular way. UA can, per my understanding, estimate likely redemption, and thus not have to carry 100% liability on the books for the miles. So given the devaluation and award scarcity that has already occurred, a charitable view might be that they've crunched numbers for a while, seen that they can look good for little cost, and taken the plunge. It's not entirely implausible that a corporation once in a while does something that's positive for its customers, right?

All that bubbling optimism aside, I'm under no illusion that the longer I keep my miles, the less they will be worth. Any post-1K leisure travel in a given year will be on miles, and once I reach 2MM (60K to go), I may not even bother striving for 1K. Have to enjoy the travel you do, not the travel you might do in the future.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
The dynamic award pricing and doing away with the close-in fees (making the 1K no-fee redeposit benefit less valuable) were bigger deals. Yes, this does save a few $5 gift card exchange charges every year and a half for family who earn the occasional miles on paid tickets, but mostly fly on my miles.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by LimeyFlyer
Who cares? We should delete this thread as it gives more importance to the announcement than it deserves.
+1
This is like Nero offering flasks of water to the citizens of Rome while the city burns around them.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
I saw this on Bloomberg TV this morning. For a minor change to a loyalty program rule like this to be released there, someone has to think it affects a stock: I like the idea this is motivated by Chase. I'm certainly seeing more and more of my spend move away from the MP Platinum, as it doesn't offer much value once I get the PQM (and I can't see much value at all in MP cards that don't have this legacy feature).

As the value of MP Miles falls, then other points, or even cash back, cards start to look more appealing. That said, my MP miles this year again got the family to Europe for a summer holiday (at saver economy rates), so I'm not making any chances yet!

This'll help me worry less about my kids' miles expiring, but doesn't provide much reassurance about the value of my miles.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
One point I want to make is that Delta could delete one’s account for lack of activities (anecdotally 2 years). So lifetime miles are never lifetime miles.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
It's not a big deal for UA to do this if they just drastically devalue the miles
username likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
While I mainly agree with your post, I do question why the last paragraph doesn't seem to apply to Basic Economy fares and the lack of a carry on bag. You would think this has to be hurting their bookings like it was AA.
I argued before AA backed off on Y- that their and UA's policy would cost them business in light of what DL was doing. AA admitted it was, and fixed the problem. UA seems to be more stubborn, or less inclined to look at its data on passenger buying patterns. There is no reason why AA's flyers would respond differently than do UAs.

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
This is a benefit for families with younger kids that can’t have CCs and fly “once in a while”

Yes dynamic pricing is bad but let’s not be so cynical, this on its own is a good move for customers.
It is likely a "win-win" for both customers and UA, which will avoid the risk of POing those whose accounts lose their miles.

I'm surprised they're that obtuse.
Never, never, never underestimate UA's inability to judge what consumers buy on, or what it takes to keep them loyal. 5 years of "changes you will like" + loss of PRASM/yeild and underperformance should have disabused anyone of the idea that United is a well run consumer brand.

Originally Posted by eng3
It's not a big deal for UA to do this if they just drastically devalue the miles
+1
Old Aug 28, 2019, 4:44 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
For once, it’s a good thing with UA copying DL
Old Aug 28, 2019, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM / Hilton Diamond / Bonvoy Gold / Hertz PC
Let's face it: this is United's BIG RESPONSE to the fact that every other rewards card (Amex Blue, Gold, Plat; Chase Freedom, Sapphire, Ink) is eating their lunch. I used to run up around $100K/year on the UA Club Card. Now it's about $2K. UA did their survey and everybody told them they don't want worthless miles at a low earn-rate. So instead of maintaining the miles' value or increasing the earnings rate, they did this pathetic measure. It's not going to work. I'm surprised they're that obtuse.
While you’re not fully incorrect, I’m yet to see one positive comment about UA from you on these boards, so why even bother?
SFOdelayed likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
"Lifetime" and "never expire" will last exactly as long as United wants it to.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 5:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
... she realized that she lost 300,000 United lifetime miles. .......
Lifetime miles from a previous account can be merged into an existing account. At least for now LT miles are good for your lifetime, never expire. Might be able to do it online Merge MileagePlus Accounts
getagb likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Kacee
Wow. When was the last time there was a good MP surprise?

Had to do a double-take on my e-mail, that's for sure!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.