Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United announces "MileagePlus Miles Never Expire" (effective immediately 28 Aug 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United Airlines Announces MileagePlus Miles Never Expire
Airline continues to make improvements to its award-winning MileagePlus loyalty program

CHICAGO, Aug. 28, 2019

-- United Airlines announced that effective immediately, MileagePlus award miles never expire, giving members a lifetime to use miles on flights, experiences, hotels and more.

"We want to demonstrate to our members that we are committing to them for the long-haul and giving customers a lifetime to use miles is an exceptionally meaningful benefit," said Luc Bondar, vice president of loyalty and president of MileagePlus at United. "Our MileagePlus program provides customers more ways to earn and use miles than any other U.S. airline. More customers used miles to book award trips in 2018 than in any year before, and we expect with today's announcement that even more will use miles to travel the world in the years to come."
Print Wikipost

United announces "MileagePlus Miles Never Expire" (effective immediately 28 Aug 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2019, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I presume some other negative change will be implemented on a Friday afternoon with no announcement down the road.
I don't agree. This is a giveback. The dynamic pricing devaluation is quite large enough already, thank you very much.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They really have no choice but to not have mileage expiration. Otherwise, too many people will give up as they can never reach the goalpost of redeeming for tickets with dynamic pricing.

Seems to be the typical tactic in the fall. Good news followed by bad news. What can it be this year? They would not do bad news first then good news. So, dynamic pricing was not the bad news.

MileagePlus, you will eventually get a free ticket because miles don't expire!
Old Aug 28, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I'm not sure how much more bad news is necessary since they can devalue at any rate they want, at any time they choose. So I wouldn't expect many more negative announcements about current benefits, other than the expected dynamic pricing for partner awards at some point.

Oh, maybe that's it.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ual744777sta
UA Insider is back?!
Like their miles, UA Insider never expires!
Starman and narvik like this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
When the Delta-like award pricing truly kicks into gear (maybe next year?), this "good news" of no expiration date will not matter as everyone's account will be depleted by booking one or two award tickets. 300,000 miles for a one-way EWR-LAX anyone?

My account shows they never expire but this is not a change I like. It's an ominous sign of the things to come IMO. Plus, like a poster above said, if you don't have any activity in 18 months then something else is wrong.

-RM
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum 1.4MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum
Thank you!

This is a great change in policy.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Happy to no longer having to keep track of the small balance in my MP account expiring.

Now to wait for AA to implement this.
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
This is a benefit to free agents and users of the other alliances. Frequent *A flyers, not really.

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
I guess you might transfer if you were closing your card and needed somewhere to park the miles rather than lose them.
Probably better to transfer to cash or Hyatt, or to downgrade your CC to one with no annual fee and keep the points in there.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
When the Delta-like award pricing truly kicks into gear (maybe next year?), this "good news" of no expiration date will not matter as everyone's account will be depleted by booking one or two award tickets. 300,000 miles for a one-way EWR-LAX anyone?

My account shows they never expire but this is not a change I like. It's an ominous sign of the things to come IMO. Plus, like a poster above said, if you don't have any activity in 18 months then something else is wrong.

-RM
I just spent 330K miles on four PP transpacific tickets. Now my mile balance is down to close to 100K. I am not earning more UA miles these days. I shifted all spending to CSR and CFU. Flying on whichever airlines that offer me a good deal in J.
RobOnLI likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by downinit
Because not all customers are road warriors. Many people in the real world beyond FT may only fly a few times a year, and they could easily go over 18 months without flying UA. There are also many people who primarily fly other airlines, but may occasionally fly UA. They are definitely not going to earn enough miles to be redeemed every year.
Yup, surprised it took UA this long to figure this out. Probably did not fit nicely onto a spreadsheet, so no way to look at it in the Smisik era. The vast, vast bulk of fliers fly once or twice a year. They pay little attention to changes in Mileage programs, but may know that Delta miles don't expire. In the search for the elusive "free trip" they are going to be more inclined to fly Delta - take several trips over several years get a "free trip" vs UA - take several trips, have your miles expire, get no free trips.

And for those whose miles expire, they feel cheated.

In a world in which you can usually find a competitors fares that are the same, offering less in some way is going to hurt you over time. My guess is the loss of traffic due to mileage experation was costing United more than the very limited redemption costs for those miles when/if they were ever used.
downinit likes this.

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Happy to no longer having to keep track of the small balance in my MP account expiring.

Now to wait for AA to implement this.
At least it was easy to buy from the shopping portal every 17 months (in case there was a delay in posting). It will be much harder to earn useful miles for premium cabins now, if you guys end up in the same boat as Delta Skypesos. Start coming up with a nickname; I propose InchesPlus.

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by getagb
Probably better to transfer to cash or Hyatt, or to downgrade your CC to one with no annual fee and keep the points in there.
I probably wouldn't transfer to UA, but it is a reasonable alternative. Probably better than cash or to a no AF card as I imagine UA miles will maintain value above $.01/pt.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Gig103
I propose InchesPlus.
Love it!
Gig103 likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by spin88
Yup, surprised it took UA this long to figure this out. Probably did not fit nicely onto a spreadsheet, so no way to look at it in the Smisik era. The vast, vast bulk of fliers fly once or twice a year. They pay little attention to changes in Mileage programs, but may know that Delta miles don't expire. In the search for the elusive "free trip" they are going to be more inclined to fly Delta - take several trips over several years get a "free trip" vs UA - take several trips, have your miles expire, get no free trips.

And for those whose miles expire, they feel cheated.

In a world in which you can usually find a competitors fares that are the same, offering less in some way is going to hurt you over time. My guess is the loss of traffic due to mileage experation was costing United more than the very limited redemption costs for those miles when/if they were ever used.
While I mainly agree with your post, I do question why the last paragraph doesn't seem to apply to Basic Economy fares and the lack of a carry on bag. You would think this has to be hurting their bookings like it was AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.