Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at EWR {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2019, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
MCT for EWR (2012)

https://www.newarkairport.com/at-airport/connecting-flights

United Airlines operates a shuttle bus between Terminals A and C from 5:00am to 10:00pm. In addition, United also operates a shuttle bus connecting Terminal B to Terminals A and C from 10:00am to 10:00pm. The shuttle bus is available at gate A28, B67, and C70 as illustrated in the image above. This service is free and you will not have to go through TSA security again. Please note this shuttle is operated at the sole responsibility of United Airlines and is subject to modification at their discretion.

Archive: Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at EWR {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at EWR {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2014, 12:02 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Thanks. Have never flown into EWR. Maybe we'll give it a miss this time and go thru LHR
Old Jan 7, 2014, 12:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mmack
Thanks. Have never flown into EWR. Maybe we'll give it a miss this time and go thru LHR
If the choice is EDI-LHR-SFO or EDI-EWR-SFO you should chose the former in a heartbeat (unless it's like 2-3x as expensive).

The only reason to break in EWR is if you're in Y and you think you'll get a CPU from EWR-SFO (v. tough even as a 1k).
Old Jan 11, 2014, 5:24 am

Intl return connection from Terminal B (Jet Airways) to Terminal A (AA) in 80-120mins

Wife travelling solo on a AA award booking from DFW to EWR and then partner Jet Airways from EWR to BOM. She has Global Entry so that could help in this situation.

This post is related to her return flight on 01/23 when the Jet Airways flight is scheduled to get in at 12:50pm
* On the initial ticketed itinerary with AA, her domestic connection back to DFW from EWR was at 5:20pm (4hr 30min layover).
* On revised itinerary (currently showing "on request") with AA, we requested the EWR-DFW flight at 2:50pm (2hr layover).
* The MCT is supposedly 150mins that I learnt from previous calls with AA. But yesterday I got an AA agent who probably did not see the MCT and was ok in changing ticket to the 2:50pm flight.

Now my wife is concerned/fuming/aggravated that I made this change while she was busy (@:-)note for self: best intentions can lead to opposite outcomes ) ,
* the Jet Airways flight has been averaging 40mins delay arriving on average 1:30pm in the last week due to brutal weather in NY area. Weather forecast as of now looks ok around Jan 23rd.
* the EWR-DFW 5:20pm flight is no longer available to book as a AA saver award and therefore cannot be now added with partner airline itinerary
* since the itinerary/ticket shows "on request", she is concerned AA back office will find the MCT of 150 is greater than 120 requested connection. Then they may re-ticket her to last AA flight at 7:30pm meaning 6.5hr layover and worse if 7:30pm award seats get sold out in meantime, she will have to wait overnight or make alternative airline plans.

Questions:
1. Any thoughts on how airlines handle this situation and whose responsibility it is, if MCT were overlooked during ticketing?

2. Assuming AA finalizes the ticket for the 2:50pm flight, Jet Airways arrives in Terminal B, and lets assume a delay of 40mins, leaving her only 80 minutes to do immigration (GE will help), collect bags, customs, drop off bags (is there transfer desk for AA in terimnal B?), take Air Train to terminal A, go through security and get to gate in time for boarding. Is this doable? Any suggestions for her to make this smoother/faster to increase her chances of making a potential tight connection?

3. FYI, I have Avios points through which I can separately book her the 2:50pm or the 7:30pm AA flight that currently show AAsaver award seat available. Should I get one or both as backups since cancelling Avios tickets results in full refund of points, and I would be out only the $2.50 in fees.

4. We have United lounge passes. If she gets put on the 7:30pm flight, will she be able use United lounge in terminal A2? Do they check for a United flight on itinerary to grant access?

Appreciate your time and feedback.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 6:26 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
I've gone thru the thread and just want to confirm that LH flights arrive at Terminal B so my folks will clear customs, then hop the Air train over to C and do the TSA dance for their UA flight EWR-FLL and that 2 hours 40 minutes should be sufficient as neither goalie-dad or goalie-mom has GE (and sorry to sound like such a rookie but I haven't had the pleasure of clearing customs at EWR
Old Jan 20, 2014, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by goalie
I've gone thru the thread and just want to confirm that LH flights arrive at Terminal B so my folks will clear customs, then hop the Air train over to C and do the TSA dance for their UA flight EWR-FLL and that 2 hours 40 minutes should be sufficient as neither goalie-dad or goalie-mom has GE (and sorry to sound like such a rookie but I haven't had the pleasure of clearing customs at EWR
That is the correct procedure. They will have to pick up any checked bags and deposit them on the belt in B before heading over to C. 2:40 should be plenty of time for the connectin.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 3:44 pm

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
That is the correct procedure. They will have to pick up any checked bags and deposit them on the belt in B before heading over to C. 2:40 should be plenty of time for the connectin.
Thank you ^ and they'll be doing carry-on as I don't want them to have any issues with delayed baggage unloading or if the flight is late* and hopefully, goalie-parents will have pre-check on their UA segment ex-EWR as they did SFO-FLL this past week

*and now hoping that saver C award space opens up last minute CDG-EWR so I can change them to that flight and eliminate the double conx CDG-FRA-EWR-FLL to CDG-EWR-FLL
Old Jan 20, 2014, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
*and now hoping that saver C award space opens up last minute CDG-EWR so I can change them to that flight and eliminate the double conx CDG-FRA-EWR-FLL to CDG-EWR-FLL
Don't forget options via IAD/ORD too
Old Jan 21, 2014, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Don't forget options via IAD/ORD too
I already looked at those and the IAD option requires a flight up to EWR so still a double conx and the ORD option requires an overnight as it arrives after the FLL departs
Old Jan 22, 2014, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
My parents and I are coming back MAD-EWR (arriving 2:10PM) in Feb. and they have 2:20 to make it to their connecting domestic flight. We will not be checking luggage. From what I gather, anything less than 2 hours is pushing it at EWR for international to domestic. Is this enough time?
Old Jan 22, 2014, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CApreppie
My parents and I are coming back MAD-EWR (arriving 2:10PM) in Feb. and they have 2:20 to make it to their connecting domestic flight. We will not be checking luggage. From what I gather, anything less than 2 hours is pushing it at EWR for international to domestic. Is this enough time?
IMO this should be plenty of time, esp. with hand baggage only. Feel like I've rarely seen long lines at EWR immigration (relative to the ongoing JFK issues).
Old Jan 22, 2014, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by CApreppie
2:20 should be plenty of time especially with hand luggage.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
IMO this should be plenty of time, esp. with hand baggage only. Feel like I've rarely seen long lines at EWR immigration (relative to the ongoing JFK issues).
That's good to know. I read some horror stories on FT about EWR but they all date from earlier in 2013 so hopefully it is improved. Too bad about the mess at JFK. I usually do international arrival into SFO which can be super fast to reasonable.

Originally Posted by alex_b
2:20 should be plenty of time especially with hand luggage.
Thank you
Old Jan 22, 2014, 9:21 pm

I am coming in on an international flight on TAP Business class (terminal B) and leaving on a domestic United flight first class (terminal c). if I'm lucky i'll have an hour to transit, will that be enough time? I won't have any checked baggage. Thanks!
Old Jan 23, 2014, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by jasonz9238
I am coming in on an international flight on TAP Business class (terminal B) and leaving on a domestic United flight first class (terminal c). if I'm lucky i'll have an hour to transit, will that be enough time? I won't have any checked baggage. Thanks!
Not a chance. An hour really means 40 mins (as UA close the door 20mins before departure). In that time you'll need to get from your plane through immigration and customs (10-15 mins with GE, perhaps 30 without, as a non-citizen even longer), onto an airtrain between terminals (at least 10 minutes), through security (10 mins with Pre, up to 30 in the main line) and then to your gate (up to 15 minutes if you're at a far gate and don't run).
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by alex_b
Not a chance. An hour really means 40 mins (as UA close the door 20mins before departure). In that time you'll need to get from your plane through immigration and customs (10-15 mins with GE, perhaps 30 without, as a non-citizen even longer), onto an airtrain between terminals (at least 10 minutes), through security (10 mins with Pre, up to 30 in the main line) and then to your gate (up to 15 minutes if you're at a far gate and don't run).
Thank you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.