Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2020, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread -- Active thread is United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service -- 3+ years after Intro

United website - Explore: http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris-business-class/p/1
from UA's Facebook stream
Only customers traveling in United Polaris business class or United Polaris Global First on international flights and customers in Star Alliance international first or business class cabins on flights longer than six hours will have access to the United Polaris Lounge.
Official Polaris Lounge Access Rules are here: Polaris Lounge Access Rules

United Polaris Business and Polaris First pax may access the Polaris lounge at connecting airports and their final destination within 24 hours of departure or arrival.

*A international J and F pax may only access the Polaris lounge at the departure airport. For purposes of Polaris lounge access, Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, and Guam are excluded from the definition of "international."

Seat Chart.

Press release: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300278706.html

NEW YORK, June 2, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- With the aspiration of making weary business travel a relic of the past, United Airlines today unveiled its all-new United Polaris business class, the airline's most significant product transformation in more than a decade, featuring a reimagined, sleep-enhancing, departure-to-landing experience for intercontinental travelers.

Named after the North Star, United Polaris is the shining new star of business class travel that flyers can turn to for a tranquil and restful journey.

"United Polaris will change the game in international business travel with an exceptional level of relaxation and comfort throughout our customers' journeys," said Oscar Munoz, president and CEO of United. "This completely reconceived experience exemplifies the new spirit of United and the innovation, excitement and operational momentum across our airline."

Path-Breaking Design

In setting out to create a transformative business class experience, United chose to outfit its widebody fleet with a custom-designed, exclusive-to-United seat, rather than select an option already in the marketplace. Designed in partnership with Acumen Design Associates and PriestmanGoode and manufactured by Zodiac Seats United Kingdom, each United Polaris seat will offer direct access to the aisle, 180-degree flat-bed recline and up to 6 foot 6 inches of bed space.

Crafted as individual, forward-facing, suite-like pods, each customer's personal suite will feature a "Do Not Disturb" sign, mood lighting, one-touch lumbar support, several storage areas, multiple surfaces for simultaneous working and dining, a 16-inch high-definition entertainment screen and, for seats in the center of the cabin, electronic privacy dividers. Complementing the new seats, United and PriestmanGoode have also conceived an all-new look for the United Polaris cabins.

In rethinking the international business class experience, United conducted more than 12,000 hours of research, and sleep emerged as the single most important priority for international business class travelers. United Polaris' path-breaking design and sleep-enhancing focus was inspired and informed by insights from hundreds of customers and employees, inflight product simulations and more than 100 product evaluations.

Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours**. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.

Elevated Dining Experience

Upon boarding their flight, each United Polaris customer will be welcomed with a pre-departure beverage of his or her choice and gourmet chocolate. While in the air, customers will enjoy regionally influenced in-flight menus updated seasonally, developed in partnership with The Trotter Project and its critically recognized chefs, including Bill Kim of acclaimed Chicago restaurants Urbanbelly, bellyQ and Belly Shack.

The airline will offer an upgraded wine experience, with the highest-quality options curated exclusively by United's Master Sommelier. Inflight service will also include made-to-order signature ice cream sundaes, a dessert cart with a variety of petit dessert options, chocolate truffles and wine flights. On daytime flights longer than eight hours and on all flights longer than 12 hours, hot mid-flight snacks such as lobster macaroni and cheese will be available.

Raising The Bar With United Polaris Business Class Lounges

United will also open an exclusive portfolio of United Polaris business class lounges in nine locations around the world – the only lounge of its kind offered by a U.S. airline to business class customers – that will feature custom-designed chairs, private daybeds, spa-like showers and chef-inspired hot meals served in a boutique restaurant setting so customers can refresh and dine before boarding their planes. Premium sparkling wines and spirits, refreshing snacks and bottled water will also be offered.

The first new United Polaris lounge will open at Chicago O'Hare International Airport on Dec. 1, 2016. Lounges in eight other locations – Los Angeles, San Francisco, Houston, New York/Newark, Washington Dulles, Tokyo Narita, Hong Kong and London Heathrow – will follow in 2017.

United Polaris Introduction

United will begin to introduce United Polaris on Dec. 1, 2016, with the new inflight food and beverage experience, new custom bedding from Saks Fifth Avenue, new amenity kits and the new United Polaris lounge in Chicago. The United Polaris business class seat will first take flight in December on Boeing 777-300ER aircraft and subsequently on Boeing 787-10 and Airbus A350-1000 aircraft, as well as on Boeing 767-300 and 777-200 retrofits.

United Polaris will serve business class customers flying the U.S. airline industry's most global route network, reaching more than 330 destinations in more than 50 countries.

More information on the United Polaris business class can be found at united.com/Polaris.

[From [email][email protected] 11/15/2016]
Starting December 1, 2016, United Polaris Business Class service will replace United BusinessFirst service on international flights, and United Polaris Global First service will replace the current United Global First service.

Between 2017 to 2019 eight additional United Polaris lounges will open at EWR, HKG, IAD, IAH, LAX, LHR, NRT and SFO. We do not have the exact opening dates at this time. A scheduling announcement will be forthcoming.
** Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016 (wiki) (thread)
SFO Lounge changes? Which will become Polaris? Shower options?(wiki) (thread)
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Print Wikipost

United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz P.C., GE/NEXUS
On another note, does anyone find the 'enhancement' on the amenity kits really annoying? I loved the initial Saks kit and have been using them for my shaver & toiletries, also gave away a bunch to friends & family. Then came the 747 farewell tins, which were cool enough as a novelty, but now we get these cheap regular tins and they're a) hard to open and b) completely useless. Also, the sleep spray has been enhanced away, not that I ever used it., and the pouch the hand cream & chapstick came in is now a flimsy plastic wrapper.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by alf0906
Can you request one of the hot bite options during meal service? I’m taking my three year old on a trip with me. Thinking realistically, a grilled cheese and soup (if available) would be a better option than the traditional picks. I want her to eat enough to stay asleep. I assume the request would mess with the galley organization during meal service and is best requested after the meal, but I am curious if anyone had made the request.
You can ask for the hot bite. It will be YYMV on how the FAs respond. Be aware that the Tomato soup is pretty chunky, and can have a bit of kick to it...at least for a typical child.

I think you can also order a "kids" meal under the special meal selections...that needs to be done in advance.

Thread on special meals: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...lidated-6.html
Recent post with pic of kids meal (though Hawaii, not Polaris): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29849299-post208.html
Old Jul 20, 2018, 8:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by goodeats21
You can ask for the hot bite. It will be YYMV on how the FAs respond. Be aware that the Tomato soup is pretty chunky, and can have a bit of kick to it...at least for a typical child.

I think you can also order a "kids" meal under the special meal selections...that needs to be done in advance.

Thread on special meals: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...lidated-6.html
Recent post with pic of kids meal (though Hawaii, not Polaris): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29849299-post208.html
Also I would add the soup can be very hot, so check it carefully before Jr digs in to avoid any burns. I've had to use the air vent on mine a couple of times to bring it back to an edible temperature, and this is from someone who likes their soup near the boiling point.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 6:48 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by YYCowboy
On another note, does anyone find the 'enhancement' on the amenity kits really annoying? I loved the initial Saks kit and have been using them for my shaver & toiletries, also gave away a bunch to friends & family. Then came the 747 farewell tins, which were cool enough as a novelty, but now we get these cheap regular tins and they're a) hard to open and b) completely useless. Also, the sleep spray has been enhanced away, not that I ever used it., and the pouch the hand cream & chapstick came in is now a flimsy plastic wrapper.
Tins are cheap
Old Jul 21, 2018, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by YYCowboy
Are tins used only on the 747 and is it Polaris service? I thought the Polaris kit was a small bag?

I'm on two Polaris flights. Not sure what I will do with the second kit.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by zitsky
Are tins used only on the 747 and is it Polaris service? I thought the Polaris kit was a small bag?

I'm on two Polaris flights. Not sure what I will do with the second kit.
Given that UA doesn't fly 747s anymore, I highly doubt you'll find any tins on it That said, my most recent Polaris flights (and even on the p.s. routes every now and then) are Polaris-branded tins. On the plus side, they are sturdier than the cheap ones they have used for the 747 retirement and (perhaps more notoriously) the Olympic-themed tins. That said, tins are clunky to take on the road because they are a fixed shape, making it unwieldy to pack. It's not the worse thing to have for use at home, but I would much rather go with some kind of pouch that is easily reusable for travel amenities, such as the black/white Saks pouch or the BR Rimowa kits (as an example).

The most irritating 'enhancement', IMO, is the shrinking of the toothpaste provided. The tiny one they give out now is not good for more than a few uses. The longer ones (same circumference) could last for several days.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 8:39 am

Thoughts on the Gel pillow: I don't like it much for comfort, and so I view it as yet another item I have to stash somewhere. In Polaris hard product, at least you have a bit more personal space, but man on the 787s or heaven forbid 772s with 2-4-2, you have a hard time stashing stuff away. I've found that the window seat works quite well on 787s because you get a small area to stash stuff (usually I stuff my pillow there and my laptop when I'm awake).
Old Jul 21, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
My 4 ‘newer’ Polaris tins are holding various stuff in my kitchen.

Some older less sturdy (e.g. Olympic or other special events) tins have been trashed. I still use my various UA C. Class pouches and bags for cables and stuff.

I dream of the day when United will offer a Rimowa mini as its amenities holder, like LH or NH. It will never happen but hope springs eternal!

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Given that UA doesn't fly 747s anymore, I highly doubt you'll find any tins on it That said, my most recent Polaris flights (and even on the p.s. routes every now and then) are Polaris-branded tins. On the plus side, they are sturdier than the cheap ones they have used for the 747 retirement and (perhaps more notoriously) the Olympic-themed tins. That said, tins are clunky to take on the road because they are a fixed shape, making it unwieldy to pack. It's not the worse thing to have for use at home, but I would much rather go with some kind of pouch that is easily reusable for travel amenities, such as the black/white Saks pouch or the BR Rimowa kits (as an example).

The most irritating 'enhancement', IMO, is the shrinking of the toothpaste provided. The tiny one they give out now is not good for more than a few uses. The longer ones (same circumference) could last for several days.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 9:20 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Recently had my first TATL on a reconfigured new Polaris 767. Was assigned a window seat (7A) after the equipment change two days before the flight, so had to keep monitoring the flight in case they changed the equipment back (Grrrr!) since the last thing I want is to be trapped in a window seat in the old configuration.

Those odd-numbered window seats are much harder to squeeze into than the even-numbered ones, even though you have a better view out of the window. Cabin staff also find it difficult to set items down on the tray through the gap and rely on you taking things from them. Or did I just get lazy FAs? Next time I'll try an angled even-numbered seat with only an arm rest between you and the aisle.

I found the seat harder than the former biz class seats, and the seat controls are definitely inferior. The separate footrest control on mine would only operate up and not down. Could only lower the footrest by raising the seatback using the wheel. Appreciated the small cubby for storage, but the slot below the screen and above the table seems like a waste of space. Also annoying was the shoulder strap, which came out upside down and thus had to be twisted in order to slot into the seat belt. Not comfortable and badly designed.

I too find the gel pillow a mixed blessing.

I have now used the ORD Polaris lounge about 20 times, and every time I wonder what genius designed the atmospherically darkened corridor so that you cannot easily see if the restrooms are vacant or occupied!

Last edited by 1P; Jul 21, 2018 at 3:58 pm Reason: monitor changed to table - my mistake
Old Jul 21, 2018, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by 1P

I have now used the ORD Polaris lounge about 20 times, and every time I wonder what genius designed the atmospherically darkened corridor so that you cannot easily see if the restrooms are vacant or occupied!
Agree. Happy that they fixed that with later lounges. They have little LED lights by the doors now red/green
Old Jul 21, 2018, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by sapguy
My 4 ‘newer’ Polaris tins are holding various stuff in my kitchen.

Some older less sturdy (e.g. Olympic or other special events) tins have been trashed. I still use my various UA C. Class pouches and bags for cables and stuff.

I dream of the day when United will offer a Rimowa mini as its amenities holder, like LH or NH. It will never happen but hope springs eternal!
What do people do if they collect a lot of those tins? Donate to a homeless shelter, maybe?
Old Jul 21, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by zitsky
What do people do if they collect a lot of those tins? Donate to a homeless shelter, maybe?

eBay
Old Jul 21, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by 1P

I found the seat harder than the former biz class seats, and the seat controls are definitely inferior. The separate footrest control on mine would only operate up and not down. Could only lower the footrest by raising the seatback using the wheel.

I too find the gel pillow a mixed blessing.

I also found that the seat was harder on the Polaris reconfigured 772 than on the 2-4-2 772. Even the mattress pad was not enough to make it comfortable. My first and only flight on the reconfigured 772 I had a hard time figuring out the seat controls. Even the FAs could not help because it was also their first flight on that plane. I was lucky that my wife who was seated in 3L came to my 3A seat to help me once she figured it out.

It's better not to complain about the gel pillow as it was a pain having to ask for it. I'm happier not to have to ask for it as it's still a pain to ask for the mattress pad and the pajamas.

At least the attendant always points out which restrooms are vacant in the ORD Polaris Lounge or do I look more clueless than the rest of the passengers?
Old Jul 21, 2018, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
...At least the attendant always points out which restrooms are vacant in the ORD Polaris Lounge or do I look more clueless than the rest of the passengers?
At EWR, each door has a little light on the lockset indicating "occupied" if illuminated. ORD doesn't have the same? Can't believe ORD attendant manages to keep track by memory - if he/she does, he/she should be snatched up for a better (and better paying) job.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
At EWR, each door has a little light on the lockset indicating "occupied" if illuminated. ORD doesn't have the same? Can't believe ORD attendant manages to keep track by memory - if he/she does, he/she should be snatched up for a better (and better paying) job.
No, at ORD it's a dark corridor with a dark sign vacant/occupied at the level of the lock which means that as I'm half blind that I have to bend to the level of the lock to read what it says. But the attendant is always cleaning the restrooms so he's always there monitoring the situation. I have never been to the restroom corridor and not seen the attendant. He's extremely nice and I also wish that he could get a better job even inside the Polaris Lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.