Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2020, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread -- Active thread is United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service -- 3+ years after Intro

United website - Explore: http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris-business-class/p/1
from UA's Facebook stream
Only customers traveling in United Polaris business class or United Polaris Global First on international flights and customers in Star Alliance international first or business class cabins on flights longer than six hours will have access to the United Polaris Lounge.
Official Polaris Lounge Access Rules are here: Polaris Lounge Access Rules

United Polaris Business and Polaris First pax may access the Polaris lounge at connecting airports and their final destination within 24 hours of departure or arrival.

*A international J and F pax may only access the Polaris lounge at the departure airport. For purposes of Polaris lounge access, Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, and Guam are excluded from the definition of "international."

Seat Chart.

Press release: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300278706.html

NEW YORK, June 2, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- With the aspiration of making weary business travel a relic of the past, United Airlines today unveiled its all-new United Polaris business class, the airline's most significant product transformation in more than a decade, featuring a reimagined, sleep-enhancing, departure-to-landing experience for intercontinental travelers.

Named after the North Star, United Polaris is the shining new star of business class travel that flyers can turn to for a tranquil and restful journey.

"United Polaris will change the game in international business travel with an exceptional level of relaxation and comfort throughout our customers' journeys," said Oscar Munoz, president and CEO of United. "This completely reconceived experience exemplifies the new spirit of United and the innovation, excitement and operational momentum across our airline."

Path-Breaking Design

In setting out to create a transformative business class experience, United chose to outfit its widebody fleet with a custom-designed, exclusive-to-United seat, rather than select an option already in the marketplace. Designed in partnership with Acumen Design Associates and PriestmanGoode and manufactured by Zodiac Seats United Kingdom, each United Polaris seat will offer direct access to the aisle, 180-degree flat-bed recline and up to 6 foot 6 inches of bed space.

Crafted as individual, forward-facing, suite-like pods, each customer's personal suite will feature a "Do Not Disturb" sign, mood lighting, one-touch lumbar support, several storage areas, multiple surfaces for simultaneous working and dining, a 16-inch high-definition entertainment screen and, for seats in the center of the cabin, electronic privacy dividers. Complementing the new seats, United and PriestmanGoode have also conceived an all-new look for the United Polaris cabins.

In rethinking the international business class experience, United conducted more than 12,000 hours of research, and sleep emerged as the single most important priority for international business class travelers. United Polaris' path-breaking design and sleep-enhancing focus was inspired and informed by insights from hundreds of customers and employees, inflight product simulations and more than 100 product evaluations.

Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours**. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.

Elevated Dining Experience

Upon boarding their flight, each United Polaris customer will be welcomed with a pre-departure beverage of his or her choice and gourmet chocolate. While in the air, customers will enjoy regionally influenced in-flight menus updated seasonally, developed in partnership with The Trotter Project and its critically recognized chefs, including Bill Kim of acclaimed Chicago restaurants Urbanbelly, bellyQ and Belly Shack.

The airline will offer an upgraded wine experience, with the highest-quality options curated exclusively by United's Master Sommelier. Inflight service will also include made-to-order signature ice cream sundaes, a dessert cart with a variety of petit dessert options, chocolate truffles and wine flights. On daytime flights longer than eight hours and on all flights longer than 12 hours, hot mid-flight snacks such as lobster macaroni and cheese will be available.

Raising The Bar With United Polaris Business Class Lounges

United will also open an exclusive portfolio of United Polaris business class lounges in nine locations around the world – the only lounge of its kind offered by a U.S. airline to business class customers – that will feature custom-designed chairs, private daybeds, spa-like showers and chef-inspired hot meals served in a boutique restaurant setting so customers can refresh and dine before boarding their planes. Premium sparkling wines and spirits, refreshing snacks and bottled water will also be offered.

The first new United Polaris lounge will open at Chicago O'Hare International Airport on Dec. 1, 2016. Lounges in eight other locations – Los Angeles, San Francisco, Houston, New York/Newark, Washington Dulles, Tokyo Narita, Hong Kong and London Heathrow – will follow in 2017.

United Polaris Introduction

United will begin to introduce United Polaris on Dec. 1, 2016, with the new inflight food and beverage experience, new custom bedding from Saks Fifth Avenue, new amenity kits and the new United Polaris lounge in Chicago. The United Polaris business class seat will first take flight in December on Boeing 777-300ER aircraft and subsequently on Boeing 787-10 and Airbus A350-1000 aircraft, as well as on Boeing 767-300 and 777-200 retrofits.

United Polaris will serve business class customers flying the U.S. airline industry's most global route network, reaching more than 330 destinations in more than 50 countries.

More information on the United Polaris business class can be found at united.com/Polaris.

[From [email][email protected] 11/15/2016]
Starting December 1, 2016, United Polaris Business Class service will replace United BusinessFirst service on international flights, and United Polaris Global First service will replace the current United Global First service.

Between 2017 to 2019 eight additional United Polaris lounges will open at EWR, HKG, IAD, IAH, LAX, LHR, NRT and SFO. We do not have the exact opening dates at this time. A scheduling announcement will be forthcoming.
** Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016 (wiki) (thread)
SFO Lounge changes? Which will become Polaris? Shower options?(wiki) (thread)
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Print Wikipost

United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2018, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by Hilmar Lehnert
In my experience the Polaris lounge at EWR is far inferior to the LH Senator lounges, ANA, Thai & SQ. It's sure better than the United Club, but that's an easy bar to meet :-)
More inferior than the standing-room only situation for LH and NH during the morning banks at FRA or afternoon/evening banks at NRT? And TG lounge which hasn't been refreshed since beginning of time and still serves the same food over and over again.

SQ has better buffet food option.

I think each lounge has their strengths and weaknesses, but the Polaris lounges are pretty well rounded, with a la carte dining, buffet, full service bar, and showers. Only comparable business lounge would be AC Signature Suite.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by hirohito888
Only comparable business lounge would be AC Signature Suite.
I don't know... TK Istanbul is just ridiculously good.

Originally Posted by Kacee
That was my takeaway at SFO as well. I'm hoping for a better experience next time.

Okay, I'm calling this one. While I was disappointed with various aspects of the Polaris lounge, there's no TG J lounge in the world in the same class as Polaris. Nor have I ever been in an SQ or NH J lounge that I feel compares. I have been in a number of SEN lounges that I felt had a better buffet.
RIght... a better buffet, but when you add the full service dining, I don't see that being an issue and Polaris is in a completely different (better) class than LH.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 8, 2018 at 9:44 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member; please use multi-quote
Old Jul 8, 2018, 9:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by TomA
RIght... a better buffet, but when you add the full service dining, I don't see that being an issue and Polaris is in a completely different (better) class than LH.
Depends on the quality. I was super disappointed by the pasta at SFO my only visit when dining was offered. Bad food personally served is still bad food.

Some of the SEN lounges are pretty nice, though I don't know of any that are physically as impressive as Polaris. LX Terminal E lounge maybe comes close. Several of the CX J lounges at HKG are also very nice. If they moved the Bridge to SFO I'd have a hard time choosing between the two (I'd pick UA if I needed a shower),
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:13 am

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Depends on the quality. I was super disappointed by the pasta at SFO my only visit when dining was offered. Bad food personally served is still bad food.

Some of the SEN lounges are pretty nice, though I don't know of any that are physically as impressive as Polaris. LX Terminal E lounge maybe comes close. Several of the CX J lounges at HKG are also very nice. If they moved the Bridge to SFO I'd have a hard time choosing between the two (I'd pick UA if I needed a shower),
True, and I've not been to the SFO location yet, last time I was there it was still the International-Flight-Only repurposed United Club and that was easily the best UC I've been in. Also, pasta is generally the thing I am most likely to avoid. I've tried the entire menu in ORD and half of it in EWR and haven't had anything disappointing yet. I'll visit the SFO club at the end of August.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by TomA
I don't know... TK Istanbul is just ridiculously good.
Yes you're right, I was just in IST 2 weeks ago too. Great selection of food in the TK IST lounge.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by Hilmar Lehnert
I've flown Polaris three times to China this year after a bit of a hiatus and have to agree with "regression" comment. The planes have not gotten any better from the east coast. ORD->HKG is still 2-4-2 seating, Polaris or not. There used to be a real mid flight food service which was quite nice and welcome on the 16 hours from EWR->HKG.. The current mid flight snacks are pathetic: left over from the dinner desert, a bag of chips or pretzels or a 0.50c Styrofoam cup of instant Ramen. In April they still had a few finger sandwiches but apparently these have also disappeared.

The new 777 planes from SFO->HKG sure are nice in J, but the economy experience with 3-4-3 seating is absolutely horrible. Sitting at an angle for 14 hours is terrible. So unless it's paid J or a guaranteed upgrade, this route is out.

What's baffling is the really low quality of the food. It's not just "only chips and ramen" but really cheap chips and cheap ramen. In the Polaris buffet at EWR the only meat dish I've seen is a chicken parm which is bone dry and chewy as a piece of cardboard. The rest of the selection is extremely pedestrian: potato salad, chips with hummus, a few leaves of lettuce. Very nice presentation but it felt like extremely low quality and cheap.

In my experience the Polaris lounge at EWR is far inferior to the LH Senator lounges, ANA, Thai & SQ. It's sure better than the United Club, but that's an easy bar to meet :-)
Compare this to the amazing mid-flight fresh ramen served by OZ. I get it every time. Fresh, delicious, real ramen.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Yes you're right, I was just in IST 2 weeks ago too. Great selection of food in the TK IST lounge.
I've been in the IST J lounge when it's an absolute mob scene. Some of the finishes aren't wearing well, either. Still a fantastic lounge, but I prefer the Polaris product.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by EWR764
I've been in the IST J lounge when it's an absolute mob scene. Some of the finishes aren't wearing well, either. Still a fantastic lounge, but I prefer the Polaris product.
I don't think TK has invested anything in the IST lounge for the last 18 months given that the new IST airport is about to open in around 3 months! It would be interesting to compare the new TK IST lounge with the Polaris lounges.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I don't think TK has invested anything in the IST lounge for the last 18 months given that the new IST airport is about to open in around 3 months! It would be interesting to compare the new TK IST lounge with the Polaris lounges.
I am very much looking forward to what TK does with their new IST lounge, as well as their rumored new J product. I think TK has the best business class catering in the world (between TK and QR, IMO), so between an all-new airport, flagship lounge, new hard product, competitive pricing and great connecting hub geography, TK becomes a really compelling option in a number of markets.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by wco81
The LH lounge at LHR is better than the ones at FRA, though the last time I was there, it seemed like they were showing videos on the monitors about a renovation? Or maybe I misinterpreted it.

But weird that the one at LHR is better than the ones in FRA.
I would put the Polaris lounge ahead of ANA's standard lounge at NRT or HND, certainly for food options alone and more available seating, but I would still rank Polaris somewhat behind the LH IAD and FRA lounges for food, and way, way behind the SQ lounges for food as well.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
What is the champagne or sparkling wine that United typically serves in Polaris? Also, does United serve a champagne or sparkling wine in domestic first-class?
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
What is the champagne or sparkling wine that United typically serves in Polaris? Also, does United serve a champagne or sparkling wine in domestic first-class?
In Polaris I believe it is often Nicolas Feuillatte. But the menu says that selection varies.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 6:03 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP

The pasta I had 2.5 weeks ago was really good. On that same trip I was able to visit the Pier J in HKG. For me, the Polaris lounge is preferable, due to the dining room.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 6:21 pm

Thumbs up Full Polaris Experience Review

Booked 10 months out for recent TPA-TLV RT, choosing to go through EWR on flights #90/91 with new equipment and Polaris seats...happily the EWR Polaris Lounge opened the day before departing so I was able to get the full Polaris experience in both directions.
Lounge: fantastic! Excellent well-stocked shower facilities with no waiting time both in evening and early morning before connecting flights, lovely relaxation suite for short nap, great variety of food and drink and plenty of seating choices. By my return flight on July 4th, lounge staff had overcome small opening week glitches and were helpful, friendly and professional. Designated Polaris electric-cart service to gate easily available.
Seat: I was in 1A for both legs and was very happy with location and larger footwell! The seats are so well-enclosed that I was not bothered by proximity to lavatory or galley although there may be a little more light in that area. Immediately asked for, and received, mattress pad which makes seat so much more comfortable. Gel pillow was at seat on return segment and is a definite plus! I'm 5'10" and was able to sleep beautifully but not on my side due to tray table.
Food & Service: a major disappointment!!! On both flights the front sections were completely full and attendants were too rushed to offer any of the expected Polaris touches: no wine flights, or even wine offered (had to request it) or refilled, no bread basket, no cheese course, etc. The Express Service was really pushed by the attendants and there was no conversational interaction with passengers. As I don't eat beef, entrée choices were limited...I truthfully found the dinners unappetizing and barely edible and even the sundaes were a far cry from the old United dessert cart: small portion and hurried service. (Hard to believe that not that many years ago Continental's Business First included hot appetizer carts!)
Bottom line: The improved seats and privacy coupled with the Polaris Lounge offerings make for a great travel experience but am less sure of just the flight without the Lounge mostly due to rushed, mediocre meal & beverage service.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 8:46 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by freestay
Bottom line: The improved seats and privacy coupled with the Polaris Lounge offerings make for a great travel experience but am less sure of just the flight without the Lounge mostly due to rushed, mediocre meal & beverage service.
Sums up Polaris perfectly - great from the time you enter the Polaris Lounge to the time you sit down onboard - and it's pretty much all downhill from there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.