Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 16, 19, 2:24 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
United website - Explore: http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris-business-class/p/1
from UA's Facebook stream
Only customers traveling in United Polaris business class or United Polaris Global First on international flights and customers in Star Alliance international first or business class cabins on flights longer than six hours will have access to the United Polaris Lounge.
Official Polaris Lounge Access Rules are here: Polaris Lounge Access Rules

United Polaris Business and Polaris First pax may access the Polaris lounge at connecting airports and their final destination within 24 hours of departure or arrival.

*A international J and F pax may only access the Polaris lounge at the departure airport. For purposes of Polaris lounge access, Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, and Guam are excluded from the definition of "international."

Seat Chart.

Press release: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300278706.html

NEW YORK, June 2, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- With the aspiration of making weary business travel a relic of the past, United Airlines today unveiled its all-new United Polaris business class, the airline's most significant product transformation in more than a decade, featuring a reimagined, sleep-enhancing, departure-to-landing experience for intercontinental travelers.

Named after the North Star, United Polaris is the shining new star of business class travel that flyers can turn to for a tranquil and restful journey.

"United Polaris will change the game in international business travel with an exceptional level of relaxation and comfort throughout our customers' journeys," said Oscar Munoz, president and CEO of United. "This completely reconceived experience exemplifies the new spirit of United and the innovation, excitement and operational momentum across our airline."

Path-Breaking Design

In setting out to create a transformative business class experience, United chose to outfit its widebody fleet with a custom-designed, exclusive-to-United seat, rather than select an option already in the marketplace. Designed in partnership with Acumen Design Associates and PriestmanGoode and manufactured by Zodiac Seats United Kingdom, each United Polaris seat will offer direct access to the aisle, 180-degree flat-bed recline and up to 6 foot 6 inches of bed space.

Crafted as individual, forward-facing, suite-like pods, each customer's personal suite will feature a "Do Not Disturb" sign, mood lighting, one-touch lumbar support, several storage areas, multiple surfaces for simultaneous working and dining, a 16-inch high-definition entertainment screen and, for seats in the center of the cabin, electronic privacy dividers. Complementing the new seats, United and PriestmanGoode have also conceived an all-new look for the United Polaris cabins.

In rethinking the international business class experience, United conducted more than 12,000 hours of research, and sleep emerged as the single most important priority for international business class travelers. United Polaris' path-breaking design and sleep-enhancing focus was inspired and informed by insights from hundreds of customers and employees, inflight product simulations and more than 100 product evaluations.

Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours**. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.

Elevated Dining Experience

Upon boarding their flight, each United Polaris customer will be welcomed with a pre-departure beverage of his or her choice and gourmet chocolate. While in the air, customers will enjoy regionally influenced in-flight menus updated seasonally, developed in partnership with The Trotter Project and its critically recognized chefs, including Bill Kim of acclaimed Chicago restaurants Urbanbelly, bellyQ and Belly Shack.

The airline will offer an upgraded wine experience, with the highest-quality options curated exclusively by United's Master Sommelier. Inflight service will also include made-to-order signature ice cream sundaes, a dessert cart with a variety of petit dessert options, chocolate truffles and wine flights. On daytime flights longer than eight hours and on all flights longer than 12 hours, hot mid-flight snacks such as lobster macaroni and cheese will be available.

Raising The Bar With United Polaris Business Class Lounges

United will also open an exclusive portfolio of United Polaris business class lounges in nine locations around the world the only lounge of its kind offered by a U.S. airline to business class customers that will feature custom-designed chairs, private daybeds, spa-like showers and chef-inspired hot meals served in a boutique restaurant setting so customers can refresh and dine before boarding their planes. Premium sparkling wines and spirits, refreshing snacks and bottled water will also be offered.

The first new United Polaris lounge will open at Chicago O'Hare International Airport on Dec. 1, 2016. Lounges in eight other locations Los Angeles, San Francisco, Houston, New York/Newark, Washington Dulles, Tokyo Narita, Hong Kong and London Heathrow will follow in 2017.

United Polaris Introduction

United will begin to introduce United Polaris on Dec. 1, 2016, with the new inflight food and beverage experience, new custom bedding from Saks Fifth Avenue, new amenity kits and the new United Polaris lounge in Chicago. The United Polaris business class seat will first take flight in December on Boeing 777-300ER aircraft and subsequently on Boeing 787-10 and Airbus A350-1000 aircraft, as well as on Boeing 767-300 and 777-200 retrofits.

United Polaris will serve business class customers flying the U.S. airline industry's most global route network, reaching more than 330 destinations in more than 50 countries.

More information on the United Polaris business class can be found at united.com/Polaris.

[From [email][email protected] 11/15/2016]
Starting December 1, 2016, United Polaris Business Class service will replace United BusinessFirst service on international flights, and United Polaris Global First service will replace the current United Global First service.

Between 2017 to 2019 eight additional United Polaris lounges will open at EWR, HKG, IAD, IAH, LAX, LHR, NRT and SFO. We do not have the exact opening dates at this time. A scheduling announcement will be forthcoming.
** Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016 (wiki) (thread)
SFO Lounge changes? Which will become Polaris? Shower options?(wiki) (thread)
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Archive - United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 2, 16, 8:14 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold 1.8MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold

With Polaris becoming live, it seems time to create a few separate threads

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 20, 16 at 10:57 am Reason: information post
Old Jan 1, 18, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
The INTL pre-departure IFE slides include “celebrating one year of Polaris. “Sorry, not much to celebrate!
Old Jan 1, 18, 4:30 pm

From what I have been told the following are being cut....Crown Royal, Courvoisier, and Jim Beam's Devil's Cut.
Old Jan 1, 18, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Originally Posted by kluau88 View Post
From what I have been told the following are being cut....Crown Royal, Courvoisier, and Jim Beam's Devil's Cut.
CR was my go to and only served on intl is there a replacement or new additions?

Still don't understand the PDB liquor vs in air list...
Old Jan 1, 18, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by FoxFlyer View Post
...the nuts were served cold in a ramekin...
I've had this experience several times on the 77W. Something about the equipment?
Old Jan 1, 18, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, *G, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by kluau88 View Post
That is HORRIBLE NEWS (if true). I don't even do the wine flights, I usually just get crown..... I really hope they don't cut it.
Old Jan 1, 18, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by TennisNoob View Post
I flew UA7 last week and found it to be garbage that United only loaded 6 Japanese meals options for all 50 J Pax.

Looking at what was listed on the menu, the Japanese meal option was superior to the generic shrimp, beef, chicken, and salmon salad option.
Always always always call and pre order the Japanese meal....never leave it to chance as they will definitely not have enough. Not only this, but when the FA comes to take your order you may need to firmly remind them you have a special Japanese meal ordered...sometimes by the time they get to your seat enough GS have thrown tantrums over not getting the Japanese meal they will try and take away the pre ordered ones unless you stand firm. I've had this almost happen twice, but at the same time I've had a few sharp FAs who already knew of my order and just reconfirmed it after stopping by my seat....either way, call at least 24h before your flight and make sure it's added by an agent, don't do it online.
Old Jan 1, 18, 5:21 pm

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Is the Japanese meal only on flights originating from Tokyo?
Old Jan 1, 18, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Is the Japanese meal only on flights originating from Tokyo?
All flights from Japan or to Japan from the USA, ie EWR IAD ORD IAH DEN LAX SFO

Edited to add that sometimes the Japanese meals are great and sometimes not...but they are often very traditional and geared towards Japanese customers, so if you're not familiar with real washoku dishes, some of the options might be a turn off for newbies so caveat emptor if you're not familiar with washoku. You will not be served sushi or sashimi or things you may be familiar with from an American Japanese style restaurant.

Also some FAs will try and deny you some of the normal meal amenities like bread/butter and warm nuts so if you get one who does, you may need to escalate if you really want anything that's missing...but certain items like salad are never included as you get Japanese appetizers instead, however full dessert is included.

Last edited by bocastephen; Jan 1, 18 at 5:31 pm
Old Jan 1, 18, 5:32 pm

Ah well, I have a trip to SIN in June, with the return flight on NH connecting through NRT.

So I guess I'll have to sample Japanese food on airplanes that way.
Old Jan 1, 18, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA&Mariott Plat Prem.
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post

Always always always call and pre order the Japanese meal....never leave it to chance as they will definitely not have enough. Not only this, but when the FA comes to take your order you may need to firmly remind them you have a special Japanese meal ordered...sometimes by the time they get to your seat enough GS have thrown tantrums over not getting the Japanese meal they will try and take away the pre ordered ones unless you stand firm. I've had this almost happen twice, but at the same time I've had a few sharp FAs who already knew of my order and just reconfirmed it after stopping by my seat....either way, call at least 24h before your flight and make sure it's added by an agent, don't do it online.
Thanks I can't believe flying for 20+ Years I didn't know you can call in for UA meals. I thought UA didn't have that option while other airlines did.

Just curious if you've ever had your meal taken away and what happened if so?
Old Jan 1, 18, 7:27 pm

Can't you order special meals online as part of the management features they give you for a given flight?
Old Jan 1, 18, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Can't you order special meals online as part of the management features they give you for a given flight?
You can order a special meal online for eligible flights but in my experience the Japanese meal option never passes through to my reservation when I tried online so if you really want it I suggest calling in and having an agent handle it
Originally Posted by TennisNoob View Post
Thanks I can't believe flying for 20+ Years I didn't know you can call in for UA meals. I thought UA didn't have that option while other airlines did.

Just curious if you've ever had your meal taken away and what happened if so?
They never took it away...just claimed they were out of the Japanese meal and I kept insisting it was pre ordered for me and we went around and around ountil the purser intervened. It was on the 747 upper deck and apparently they didn't communicate between upstairs and downstairs on these occasions and gave the Japanese meals to GS downstairs and didn't want to go back and tell them they couldn't have it but it was taken care of in the end.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 1, 18 at 11:18 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 1, 18, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA&Mariott Plat Prem.
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post

They never took it away...just claimed they were out of the Japanese meal and I kept insisting it was pre ordered for me and we went around and around ountil the purser intervened. It was on the 747 upper deck and apparently they didn't communicate between upstairs and downstairs on these occasions and gave the Japanese meals to GS downstairs and didn't want to go back and tell them they couldn't have it but it was taken care of in the end.
Good to hear, thanks!

Yes the Japanese meals are superior to the crap I had to choke the other day. My first and second meal choice was denied. I rarely fly UA internationally because out of Houston I prefer NH/LH.
Old Jan 1, 18, 8:35 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svcs, AA ExecPlat, WN RR, AZ Freccia Alata+, Hilton gold, SPG/Marriot Gold, Hertz Prez
Pleasantly surprised by my beef shortrib I just finished here on 19 to MXP. It was all nice and edible, and the meat tender. More ice cream than my last few also albeit in paper cups (hashtag firstworldproblems) ;-)

Search this Thread