Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2020, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread -- Active thread is United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service -- 3+ years after Intro

United website - Explore: http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris-business-class/p/1
from UA's Facebook stream
Only customers traveling in United Polaris business class or United Polaris Global First on international flights and customers in Star Alliance international first or business class cabins on flights longer than six hours will have access to the United Polaris Lounge.
Official Polaris Lounge Access Rules are here: Polaris Lounge Access Rules

United Polaris Business and Polaris First pax may access the Polaris lounge at connecting airports and their final destination within 24 hours of departure or arrival.

*A international J and F pax may only access the Polaris lounge at the departure airport. For purposes of Polaris lounge access, Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, and Guam are excluded from the definition of "international."

Seat Chart.

Press release: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300278706.html

NEW YORK, June 2, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- With the aspiration of making weary business travel a relic of the past, United Airlines today unveiled its all-new United Polaris business class, the airline's most significant product transformation in more than a decade, featuring a reimagined, sleep-enhancing, departure-to-landing experience for intercontinental travelers.

Named after the North Star, United Polaris is the shining new star of business class travel that flyers can turn to for a tranquil and restful journey.

"United Polaris will change the game in international business travel with an exceptional level of relaxation and comfort throughout our customers' journeys," said Oscar Munoz, president and CEO of United. "This completely reconceived experience exemplifies the new spirit of United and the innovation, excitement and operational momentum across our airline."

Path-Breaking Design

In setting out to create a transformative business class experience, United chose to outfit its widebody fleet with a custom-designed, exclusive-to-United seat, rather than select an option already in the marketplace. Designed in partnership with Acumen Design Associates and PriestmanGoode and manufactured by Zodiac Seats United Kingdom, each United Polaris seat will offer direct access to the aisle, 180-degree flat-bed recline and up to 6 foot 6 inches of bed space.

Crafted as individual, forward-facing, suite-like pods, each customer's personal suite will feature a "Do Not Disturb" sign, mood lighting, one-touch lumbar support, several storage areas, multiple surfaces for simultaneous working and dining, a 16-inch high-definition entertainment screen and, for seats in the center of the cabin, electronic privacy dividers. Complementing the new seats, United and PriestmanGoode have also conceived an all-new look for the United Polaris cabins.

In rethinking the international business class experience, United conducted more than 12,000 hours of research, and sleep emerged as the single most important priority for international business class travelers. United Polaris' path-breaking design and sleep-enhancing focus was inspired and informed by insights from hundreds of customers and employees, inflight product simulations and more than 100 product evaluations.

Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours**. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.

Elevated Dining Experience

Upon boarding their flight, each United Polaris customer will be welcomed with a pre-departure beverage of his or her choice and gourmet chocolate. While in the air, customers will enjoy regionally influenced in-flight menus updated seasonally, developed in partnership with The Trotter Project and its critically recognized chefs, including Bill Kim of acclaimed Chicago restaurants Urbanbelly, bellyQ and Belly Shack.

The airline will offer an upgraded wine experience, with the highest-quality options curated exclusively by United's Master Sommelier. Inflight service will also include made-to-order signature ice cream sundaes, a dessert cart with a variety of petit dessert options, chocolate truffles and wine flights. On daytime flights longer than eight hours and on all flights longer than 12 hours, hot mid-flight snacks such as lobster macaroni and cheese will be available.

Raising The Bar With United Polaris Business Class Lounges

United will also open an exclusive portfolio of United Polaris business class lounges in nine locations around the world – the only lounge of its kind offered by a U.S. airline to business class customers – that will feature custom-designed chairs, private daybeds, spa-like showers and chef-inspired hot meals served in a boutique restaurant setting so customers can refresh and dine before boarding their planes. Premium sparkling wines and spirits, refreshing snacks and bottled water will also be offered.

The first new United Polaris lounge will open at Chicago O'Hare International Airport on Dec. 1, 2016. Lounges in eight other locations – Los Angeles, San Francisco, Houston, New York/Newark, Washington Dulles, Tokyo Narita, Hong Kong and London Heathrow – will follow in 2017.

United Polaris Introduction

United will begin to introduce United Polaris on Dec. 1, 2016, with the new inflight food and beverage experience, new custom bedding from Saks Fifth Avenue, new amenity kits and the new United Polaris lounge in Chicago. The United Polaris business class seat will first take flight in December on Boeing 777-300ER aircraft and subsequently on Boeing 787-10 and Airbus A350-1000 aircraft, as well as on Boeing 767-300 and 777-200 retrofits.

United Polaris will serve business class customers flying the U.S. airline industry's most global route network, reaching more than 330 destinations in more than 50 countries.

More information on the United Polaris business class can be found at united.com/Polaris.

[From [email][email protected] 11/15/2016]
Starting December 1, 2016, United Polaris Business Class service will replace United BusinessFirst service on international flights, and United Polaris Global First service will replace the current United Global First service.

Between 2017 to 2019 eight additional United Polaris lounges will open at EWR, HKG, IAD, IAH, LAX, LHR, NRT and SFO. We do not have the exact opening dates at this time. A scheduling announcement will be forthcoming.
** Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016 (wiki) (thread)
SFO Lounge changes? Which will become Polaris? Shower options?(wiki) (thread)
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Print Wikipost

United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2018, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I also found that the seat was harder on the Polaris reconfigured 772 than on the 2-4-2 772. Even the mattress pad was not enough to make it comfortable.
I notice the newer the seat, the more firm the cushion. A recent flight on N2133U felt notably softer than a flight on a freshly-reconfigured N644UA earlier in the year. Subjective, I know, but as a general rule seats tend to soften over time.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
My wife and I took UA 32 and UA 33, LAX-NRT-LAX, in Polaris last week and this week, and I must say that I am pleasantly surprised at the experience:
  1. The J seats on the 787-9 are very comfortable, and the gel pillows were very effective (my wife made it a point to comment to me on that)
  2. I asked for the mattress pads and they were quickly provided without any issue, and there were slippers on every seat which is so nice
  3. The service on both flights were professional, perhaps the best on United Biz Class that I have had in the last 4 years. The purser on the return flight who also happened to be our FA (we were in 2A/B and then 3A/B) came to thank us and said that it was a pleasure to serve us
  4. Both meals were surprisingly good! We both had low expectations but the Japanese meal on the outbound LAX-NRT was excellent while the fish that I had on the return was good (not memorable but edible). Desserts were fine
  5. The mid-flight snack of Korean beef with fried rice on the outbound was excellent, and it made the breakfast redundant
  6. The breakfast of fish and rice on the return was very good
  7. So that leaves the wine list: the Lanson Champagne was good but everything else was so so, and there is certainly room for improvements (Doug Frost, are you listening? )
The flights left and arrived on time (more or less) and the new boarding process which separated 1K like us from the rest of Group 1 was great!

Looking forward to possibly doing this again in November - we'll see if we will do this routing again for our trip to Southeast Asia

Originally Posted by LAXOGG
Any update /inside scoop on the anticipated opening date for the LAX Polaris Lounge?
No Polaris lounge at LAX on UA 32 last week.
The UC at NRT was good for our UA 33 this week!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 27, 2018 at 5:44 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sapguy
  1. So that leaves the wine list: the Lanson Champagne was good but everything else was so so, and there is certainly room for improvements (Doug Frost, are you listening? )
Doug Frost does the best he can with the budget he is given. Which must be pitifully small.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 8:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sapguy
The service on both flights were professional, perhaps the best on United Biz Class that I have had in the last 4 years.
The LAX based crews are generally excellent.

Although UA apparently still has one or two bad apples who work the SYD route
Old Sep 29, 2018, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I got to experience the new Polaris Lounge at IAH last week and was quite impressed. It's spacious and peaceful. The food from the restaurant and hot bar was quite good and the shower before boarding my flight to SYD was welcome. I think the shower facilities at NRT were a bit better but just being able to take one before embarking on the 17 hour flight was a welcome relief.
Service in Polaris on both IAH-SYD and SYD-SFO was friendly AND professional. They let me sleep when I wanted, were attentive when I was awake. I got the pajamas on both legs and one FA on the SYD-SFO leg was so tickled, she asked me to show them off to some friends of hers that were too embarrassed to wear them. The PJs were quite comfortable but I'd advise changing in the lavatory on the left side of the 787 as it's a bit roomier than the one on the right side.
The Chief FA on the SYD-SFO leg was very good about advising customers to try the Arrivals Lounge at SFO. I would have liked to have tried the Polaris Lounge at SFO as well but it just wasn't convenient to get there before my continuing flight.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
I am quite loyal to OneWorld thus when travelling to the US I try to fly AA or BA as second choice, but this time I had to go with UA. It was a LHR-ORD trip, both ways on a 767, outbound on a retrofitted one with new Polaris product and inbound with the old seat.

The old one is frankly appalling. No direct aisle access for window seats, quite narrow bed and overall just a very old seat with not enough storage space nor privacy. I was disappointed but in all honesty I knew the product was old and I just slept for the entire duration of the flight, so no big drama.

As per the new Polaris product:

Plane
Probably the worst aspect of this experience. The 767 is incredibly noisy (even with QC35 on) and the zero humidity ambient really killed me. I deplaned after 8.30 hours feeling like I was flying for 15. Really tiring.

Seat
The seat overall is nice, I found it to be comfortable and indeed better than the super-old Club World product on BA. The problem I had with the seat and in general the cabin is that those sarcophagus are too big for the 767 cabin and the density is so high that getting in and out of them without hitting items on the table is almost impossible. And I am quite slim...In other words, once you are in the seat it's fine, but getting in and out is quite an experience.

Food & Drink
A la carte wines are all quite undrinkable, but I was lucky to spot a Lungarotti Rubesco 2014 in the trolley which is indeed a decent red and it pleased me. The main course (beef) was good, starters and dessert were so so. I guess it's a hit and miss situation here.

Coffee and tea was consistently bad. The tea was especially bad to the point I just asked for hot water and infused mine.

Lounges
This is where the Polaris product shines IMO. Both the ORD and LHR lounges are great, especially ORD with its restaurant area. Way better than BA, even better than BA F lounges. Champagne was not offered at LHR, swapped for a cheap Italian sparkling wine. That's a pity. Not that I crave Champagne at all costs (some are horrible), but if you swap it for a less expensive champenoise, at least choose a decent one. Ferrari, for instance, produces fantastic bubbles for around £10 a bottle (HORECA prices), so it's not that hard.

All in all, AA and BA products are overall better suited to my taste and I will try to avoid Polaris mostly due to the old plane and the useless (for me) *A miles, but I can see a huge improvement compared to UA old biz.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by frandrake
...but I can see a huge improvement compared to UA old biz.
Interesting description from a OneWorld loyalist. Thanks.
What I noticed immediately was a bit oxymoronic though: the old version of this plane is "appalling", the new version a "huge improvement", yet, you slept throughout the flight with the old seats.
Reading this makes one believe the old version is BETTER: frankly, to me, any flight that goes by fast, and with much sleep is preferable to any fancy champagne or food offerings or improved, modern fixtures.
I.e. I'd rather sleep on a crappy plane than stay awake on an awesome one.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
True, but it depends very much on the kind of flight. If red eye I totally agree with you that the seat is what matters most. If day flight, then being able to move in and out the seat easily, having space and privacy plus the service are indeed more important.

My point on the plane has more to do with humidity in the cabin. Perhaps it’s just me but I do indeed feel the difference!
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by frandrake

My point on the plane has more to do with humidity in the cabin. Perhaps it’s just me but I do indeed feel the difference!
Understood. They've made great strides in that area. I used to suffer on the older planes due to the lack of humidity.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 4:14 pm

Programs: United 1K, 2MM, Marriott LT Platinum
I am currently in the Polaris lounge at EWR and color me impressed! What an unbelievable respite from the madness that is EWR! Don't get me wrong, EWR is my home airport, I know it like the proverbial back of my hand, and it's incredibly convenient to get pretty much anywhere, but even I'll admit that it is an insanely crowded and relatively unfriendly airport. The Polaris lounge here is the antithesis of all of that! Terrific service, excellent food options, awesome layout, just an all-around "cultured" experience. I fly international often enough but have never used this lounge. In the future, I will have to change my arrival times into EWR to "take advantage" of this level of service.

Separately, I'm also on my first flight on a true Polaris seating aircraft and am looking forward to my highly rated Seat 9A; seat chosen thanks of course to the good folks on FlyerTalk. Cheers, all
Old Oct 28, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by princetonflyer
I am currently in the Polaris lounge at EWR and color me impressed! What an unbelievable respite from the madness that is EWR! Don't get me wrong, EWR is my home airport, I know it like the proverbial back of my hand, and it's incredibly convenient to get pretty much anywhere, but even I'll admit that it is an insanely crowded and relatively unfriendly airport. The Polaris lounge here is the antithesis of all of that! Terrific service, excellent food options, awesome layout, just an all-around "cultured" experience. I fly international often enough but have never used this lounge. In the future, I will have to change my arrival times into EWR to "take advantage" of this level of service.

Separately, I'm also on my first flight on a true Polaris seating aircraft and am looking forward to my highly rated Seat 9A; seat chosen thanks of course to the good folks on FlyerTalk. Cheers, all
Happy flight! 9A is the best and right behind the large restroom where u can put your jammies on if your flight is long enough. Hope you had a Cloud Cover in the lounge mmm.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Marriott Gold
Spent several hours in EWR Polaris lounge last week due to a long layover on my outbound LAX-EWR-MXP flight. Everything was great but the roomy seats with the lamp/desk were in very high demand and I was lucky to get one although it was right by the restrooms. My outbound EWR-MXP flight was fine, on the return there were no slippers out and I had to ask twice to get a pair. Weirder, there was no warm towel service after take off/before the meal. The Loire valley sauvignon blanc is not bad. The food is just sad.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 2:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I was thinking about these words in the wiki, from the June 2016 UA press release:

QUOTE:

"Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours**. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa......"

-------

UA 917 SFO-AKL October 2018 seat 7A

Great "cocoon" for sleeping

Just the display of the bedding and amenities at the seat was great.

As you know, the cabin colors are not this intense blue as appears on the photo, but I actually liked it. Rather soothing.

Took these photos in the morning.

Extremely comfortable seat.

Mattress pad was great, comforter was great. But the absolute best part was the gel pillow. I placed it on top of the regular pillow and slept almost 11 hours of the 13+ hour flight.

In bed mode. I had a fantastic sleep.

I think the table design is great. If you are a side-sleeper, it does not get in your way.

Not only does it open nicely, you can slide it down on an angle so it's closer to you. That also gives you access to the feature panel on the side of the seat.

A few other photos....

UA 916 AKL-SFO November 2018 seat 6L

Last edited by 24left; Nov 6, 2018 at 2:58 pm
Old Nov 6, 2018, 3:18 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by 24left
Just the display of the bedding and amenities at the seat was great.
Oh please! They were just piled up along the seat, with a menu angled on the countertop. This is not exactly great art.

<Jaded cynicism off>
Old Nov 6, 2018, 3:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by 1P
Oh please! They were just piled up along the seat, with a menu angled on the countertop. This is not exactly great art.

<Jaded cynicism off>

LOL and I didn't even notice the menu.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.