Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on 763 High J (46/22/43/56) Polaris+PP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2019, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

For couples who want to sit “together” in Polaris, even-numbered L seats combined with the odd-numbered F seat one lower in number (e.g. 10L/9F) gives some ability to see/talk across aisle because the openings line up almost exactly.

Standard size rollaboards can only be accommodated in overhead compartments along the window and not in the center bins.

Overhead compartment above 1A is limited to a small bag, and the slightly larger bin is shared with 2A and 2D, which may result in someone in the area putting the bag in row 3 or 4. Often, there is flight supplies stored in the bin above 2A and 3A as well - you can ask the FA to move them.

Misaligned window in the coveted window seats at 7A/L and 17A/L.

Only one window (close to monitor) at 11A/L.

No "front" window on 15A/L, but one next to head and a second useable when reclined.

Oxygen equipment is stored above 12A, which results in unusable bin space. (Note that bin space is pretty generous given spread of seats, so not likely to be a major issue).

No window at 18A/L
related thread
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on 763 / 76Q (30/24/32/117) Polaris+PP
obsolete
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 767-300 (30/46/138)- Polaris seat ("normal J", no PremPlus)
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on 763 High J (46/22/43/56) Polaris+PP

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2019, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I was not aware it was possible to upgrade for "free" to PE unless you are using a GPU but you have to apply those before T-24. I think $179 would be worth the PE seat and is a good deal in my view.
The only reason I can upgrade for free is that they are still being sold as E+, so that's how they are marked on the seatmap. Once they are officially PE, I won't be able to.

findark, thanks for the confirmation. I think I might! I don't know if it's worth chancing it and waiting for 24 hours out (when I can get it for free).

Originally Posted by findark
It's borderline because you could get swapped out of PE and have no recourse for your fee, but the frame assignments an EWR-LHR are pretty steady now so it's probably worth it.
Do you think it's risky to book one that's three weeks out on this route? Or, I guess I should ask, how risky do you think it is that they will take this plane off this route? I've got a redeye on the way back and I'd love to get into PE for that.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 16, 2019 at 6:29 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 16, 2019, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by giblet
Do you think it's risky to book one that's three weeks out on this route? Or, I guess I should ask, how risky do you think it is that they will take this plane off this route? I've got a redeye on the way back and I'd love to get into PE for that.
LHR-EWR was the first 76L route and they're being assigned to ORD as well, so I think the odds are strong in favor of flying the frame. As long as you are prepared for swap-related shenanigans and willing to try to argue for a refund if it doesn't work out (no guarantees since you "paid for E+"), I say go for it!
Old Jul 16, 2019, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by findark
LHR-EWR was the first 76L route and they're being assigned to ORD as well, so I think the odds are strong in favor of flying the frame. As long as you are prepared for swap-related shenanigans and willing to try to argue for a refund if it doesn't work out (no guarantees since you "paid for E+"), I say go for it!
Thank you, I needed the encouragement! And in the time that I was spending ulcerating about the decision, the price dropped to $129! So I'm very happy and it will be an even better bonus if it ends up using my Amex Premier Rewards credit, which I think it should because it's technically an E+ seat.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: United
Hello. I am booking a trip Newark-London using miles and I am able to pay a fee to sit in premium economy and this includes rows 20-23. As we are traveling as a couple, are there better seats in these rows since this seems to be premium plus? And.... does row 20 recline, despite the fact that it's an exit row? Any recommendations would be appreciated. I made the mistake of booking a bit further back using forelock to hold the reservation and now want to move to this smaller cabin rows 20-23, because it seems nicer.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by zagat4
Hello. I am booking a trip Newark-London using miles and I am able to pay a fee to sit in premium economy and this includes rows 20-23. As we are traveling as a couple, are there better seats in these rows since this seems to be premium plus? And.... does row 20 recline, despite the fact that it's an exit row? Any recommendations would be appreciated. I made the mistake of booking a bit further back using forelock to hold the reservation and now want to move to this smaller cabin rows 20-23, because it seems nicer.
One person's definition of "better seats" is always going to be different than someone else's, so it's hard to explain if they are "better" or not. However, the seats in rows 20-23 are wider, with more recline, foot rests, bigger monitors, etc. They are, however, separated by (wide) arm rests that do NOT lift up, so if you like to snuggle while traveling with your significant other, than this will make it pretty much impossible (so you can decide if that's "better" or not).

As far as row 20 not reclining because it's an exit row, I believe that the only time you'd have to worry about a seat reclining or not is if you're in the row immediately in front of the exit row. I've never come across an exit row that doesn't recline (again, unless there's another exit row directly behind it).

Hope that helps!
Old Jul 23, 2019, 11:29 am

The armrest is not an issue but as it's an overnight flight I wonder if there's a recommendation for two people who want to sit together in rows 20-23. It's only a bit more $ than regular E+ further back so I'm thinking we should try it ? Thank you
Old Jul 23, 2019, 11:35 am
Original Poster

If the difference in price isn't an issue, then I'd say go for it...to me the PE seats are MUCH more comfortable than E+ seats. As for which row/seats...21-23 are all pretty much the same, I believe. If you both want easy access to an aisle, choose the D/F seat pair If one of you wants a window, choose the A/B or K/L pair. I think 20 A/B and K/L have leg rests in addition to the foot rests. 20D/F is a bulkhead and could possibly have a bassinet. I have never sat anywhere in row 20, so I don't know if the extra leg room is worth not being able to have any underseat storage for take-off/landing.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by mpiotrow
If the difference in price isn't an issue, then I'd say go for it...to me the PE seats are MUCH more comfortable than E+ seats. As for which row/seats...21-23 are all pretty much the same, I believe. If you both want easy access to an aisle, choose the D/F seat pair If one of you wants a window, choose the A/B or K/L pair. I think 20 A/B and K/L have leg rests in addition to the foot rests. 20D/F is a bulkhead and could possibly have a bassinet. I have never sat anywhere in row 20, so I don't know if the extra leg room is worth not being able to have any underseat storage for take-off/landing.
Thank you. Can you confirm that row 20 has non-restricted recline since it's an Exit row ? Very much appreciated. And if you're in 21-23 does the recline of the seat in front of you make it difficult to get out to use the lavatory ?
Old Jul 23, 2019, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Thank you. Can you confirm that row 20 has non-restricted recline since it's an Exit row ? Very much appreciated. And if you're in 21-23 does the recline of the seat in front of you make it difficult to get out to use the lavatory ?
Row 20 definitely reclines...again, I'm pretty sure that ALL exit rows recline, unless the row right behind that exit row is also an exit row...it's only the row immediately in front of an exit row that does not recline.

As for the recline of the seat in front causing an issue, I'd say it's definitely not any worse than in E+. I would venture to guess there's even more room, in fact.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Hello. I am booking a trip Newark-London using miles and I am able to pay a fee to sit in premium economy and this includes rows 20-23. As we are traveling as a couple, are there better seats in these rows since this seems to be premium plus? ....
There are just two questions to consider
-- bulkhead vs non-bulkhead -- different kind of foot/leg rest, different video screens
-- window side or middle section
The reclines are all the same

Personally for a couple -- the 2x sections would be my first choice. There is a 2x middle section in the 763 which provide aisle access for both seats. So for the 763, do you want a window or aisle for both.
Then
Taller people might prefer the bulkhead and shorter people the non-bulkhead for the leg rests.

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience has a much more detailed discussion on the seats. The PP seats are pretty much the same where available. 3-4 rows. 4x in the middle section for 777s, 3x for the 787s and 2x 763
Old Jul 27, 2019, 8:57 am

I'm booked in Y on UA934 (EWR-LHR, daytime) in October and it has just been swapped to this aircraft. Does anyone know what seats 31A/B and K/L are like? The seat map shows a huge empty space in front of them.

They are now selling Premium Plus as a separate class, so I can no longer get one of those seats.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
I'm booked in Y on UA934 (EWR-LHR, daytime) in October and it has just been swapped to this aircraft. Does anyone know what seats 31A/B and K/L are like? The seat map shows a huge empty space in front of them.

They are now selling Premium Plus as a separate class, so I can no longer get one of those seats.
Don't trust the gap in the seat map. Those aren't rendered to scale.

They have been pretty consistent with bulkhead spacing in recent reconfigurations, so I would assume it is similar to the updated 772 / 773. Speaking approximately, that means enough space, but only barely, for a 32" inseam.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
Don't trust the gap in the seat map. Those aren't rendered to scale.

They have been pretty consistent with bulkhead spacing in recent reconfigurations, so I would assume it is similar to the updated 772 / 773. Speaking approximately, that means enough space, but only barely, for a 32" inseam.
That's exactly what I was worried about. I think I'll take a different seat and let someone else find out how good or bad row 31 is.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 4:31 am

Programs: *
Any consensus on best seating arrangement for a couple?
Old Jul 29, 2019, 4:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by ani90
Any consensus on best seating arrangement for a couple?
In which cabin?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.