Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on 763 High J (46/22/43/56) Polaris+PP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2019, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

For couples who want to sit “together” in Polaris, even-numbered L seats combined with the odd-numbered F seat one lower in number (e.g. 10L/9F) gives some ability to see/talk across aisle because the openings line up almost exactly.

Standard size rollaboards can only be accommodated in overhead compartments along the window and not in the center bins.

Overhead compartment above 1A is limited to a small bag, and the slightly larger bin is shared with 2A and 2D, which may result in someone in the area putting the bag in row 3 or 4. Often, there is flight supplies stored in the bin above 2A and 3A as well - you can ask the FA to move them.

Misaligned window in the coveted window seats at 7A/L and 17A/L.

Only one window (close to monitor) at 11A/L.

No "front" window on 15A/L, but one next to head and a second useable when reclined.

Oxygen equipment is stored above 12A, which results in unusable bin space. (Note that bin space is pretty generous given spread of seats, so not likely to be a major issue).

No window at 18A/L
related thread
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on 763 / 76Q (30/24/32/117) Polaris+PP
obsolete
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 767-300 (30/46/138)- Polaris seat ("normal J", no PremPlus)
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on 763 High J (46/22/43/56) Polaris+PP

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2019, 6:24 am

Are there no 'preferred seats' on the new retrofitted 767s that are on the LHR-EWR route? It looks like in Economy all window and aisle seats on the sides are Economy Plus and the middle rows are all standard Economy. It seems like this is a big loss for us Premier Silvers.

Last edited by giblet; Jun 5, 2019 at 7:17 am
Old Jun 5, 2019, 7:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by giblet
Are there no 'preferred seats' on the new retrofitted 767s that are on the LHR-EWR route? It looks like in Economy all window and aisle seats on the sides are Economy Plus and the middle rows are all standard Economy. It seems like this is a big loss for us Premier Silvers.
43% of the economy cabin is E+. That seems more than generous to me.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
E+ isn't the same as the previous "preferred seating" that silvers could reserve for free at time of reservation.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 8:28 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
A corallry is Economy and E- are so small, there is little that could be reserved for "preferred" seating

However, I see some "preferred" seating offerings in the first couple of rows of the middle section
Kacee likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
However, I see some "preferred" seating offerings in the first couple of rows of the middle section
I'm not seeing any, but maybe they are already reserved. I booked o/w of my flight in the new configuration and got a middle aisle in row 40. The other direction is in the old configuration and I'm in the window in the first row of economy. So the new seating is definitely a lost benefit for silvers, as I see it. I guess I should be grateful they didn't retrofit them with 10 seats across.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not seeing any, but maybe they are already reserved. I booked o/w of my flight in the new configuration and got a middle aisle in row 40. The other direction is in the old configuration and I'm in the window in the first row of economy. So the new seating is definitely a lost benefit for silvers, as I see it. I guess I should be grateful they didn't retrofit them with 10 seats across.
In case you weren't aware, the 'preferred' seats are simply regular E seats that are more forward in the cabin. They don't have more space or any other advantage.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by fumje
In case you weren't aware, the 'preferred' seats are simply regular E seats that are more forward in the cabin. They don't have more space or any other advantage.
I'm aware. They have one other major advantage, which is that they aren't free, so they are almost always less crowded than the ones farther back.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: CX Gold
I am really shocked at the number of premium seats in this configuration. 27.5% of the seats are Polaris, and the entire plane has only 167 seats! This feels like the old ps 757 aircraft!

What kind of markets will this aircraft serve? If they can sell 46 Polaris seats for each flight, why cannot they fill a 777-200 aircraft?
Old Jun 6, 2019, 9:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm aware. They have one other major advantage, which is that they aren't free, so they are almost always less crowded than the ones farther back.
Perhaps you would be happier choosing one of the flights operated by a 10-across 777. Those have plenty of "preferred" seating.
EWR764, N104UA and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
I am really shocked at the number of premium seats in this configuration. 27.5% of the seats are Polaris, and the entire plane has only 167 seats! This feels like the old ps 757 aircraft!

What kind of markets will this aircraft serve? If they can sell 46 Polaris seats for each flight, why cannot they fill a 777-200 aircraft?
These aircraft serve routes with heavy business traffic (i.e. EWR-LHR). No one is saying that they couldn't fill a 772 but UA might not have a 772 available for that route. But business seats make more money per square foot on the plane than economy seats do, so to maximize revenue you want to figure out how many business seats you can realistically sell on each plane, and for some routes UA has pegged that number at 46. From a revenue perspective it makes more sense to sell one Polaris seat at $3-4k or more instead of three Y seats at less than $1k each (in my very basic anecdotal experience one business seat takes about the same amount of room as 3 Y seats but I am sure someone here can provide the exact floor space each seat takes up).

I am sure from a maximizing revenue perspective if UA thought they could consistently sell an "All Polaris" 763 they would configure a plane as such (not suggesting they could, as I doubt they could for numerous reasons, and booking Y and upgrading is chief among them)
Old Jul 14, 2019, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
My 30J ORD-SFO 763 just got switched to high J 763 and just realized what a dilemma choosing a seat could be. Originally had single middle seat and was put in middle on new plane. Prefer window seat on new plane, but afraid of swap back to old 763 and being stuck in a window seat with potentially a passenger between me and aisle. It's a redeye, so stayed with the middle just in case. Wish I could count on high J plane sticking...
onthesam likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
My 30J ORD-SFO 763 just got switched to high J 763 and just realized what a dilemma choosing a seat could be. Originally had single middle seat and was put in middle on new plane. Prefer window seat on new plane, but afraid of swap back to old 763 and being stuck in a window seat with potentially a passenger between me and aisle. It's a redeye, so stayed with the middle just in case. Wish I could count on high J plane sticking...
Do you have the route right? Didn't think SFO saw 767s on the regular schedule (and ORD-SFO is never a redeye).
Old Jul 16, 2019, 8:39 am

So rows 20-23 on this bad boy are PE? Is it worth paying $179 for one of these seats LHR-EWR? I can upgrade for free 24 hours out, but we're a day away from that and there's only a seat or two left.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
So rows 20-23 on this bad boy are PE? Is it worth paying $179 for one of these seats LHR-EWR? I can upgrade for free 24 hours out, but we're a day away from that and there's only a seat or two left.
I was not aware it was possible to upgrade for "free" to PE unless you are using a GPU but you have to apply those before T-24. I think $179 would be worth the PE seat and is a good deal in my view.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I was not aware it was possible to upgrade for "free" to PE unless you are using a GPU but you have to apply those before T-24. I think $179 would be worth the PE seat and is a good deal in my view.
It's not being sold as PE yet, so you have the chance to pay E+ rates (which is free if you have status) and sit in PE but with the normal E+ soft product.

It's borderline because you could get swapped out of PE and have no recourse for your fee, but the frame assignments an EWR-LHR are pretty steady now so it's probably worth it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.