Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA to launch Seasonal EWR-CPT - 3x Weekly year-round starting 5 June 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
]United Airlines Preparing New Nonstop Seasonal Service Between New York/Newark and Cape Town, South Africa
United's new nonstop service will save customers nearly eight hours of travel time roundtrip between New York and Cape Town
CHICAGO, April 15, 2019
United Airlines today applied with the U.S. Department of Transportation for authority to begin new service between New York/Newark Liberty International Airport and Cape Town International Airport. United plans to operate nonstop three-times weekly flights to Cape Town starting in December 2019.

"We are always looking at ways to expand our industry-leading international route network to offer our customers more convenient options. We're thrilled to announce the addition of Africa to our global route offering," said Patrick Quayle, United's vice president of International Network. "

This new flight will provide customers with the only nonstop service between the United States and Cape Town." United's nonstop service between New York/Newark and Cape Town will decrease the current travel time from New York to Cape Town by more than four hours and provide customers from more than 80 U.S. cities with easy one-stop access to Cape Town. If approved, United's service between New York/Newark and Cape Town will be operated with Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft featuring 48 seats in United Polaris business class, 88 seats in United Economy Plus and 116 seats in United Economy.

Cape Town is the oldest city in South Africa and the country's center of trade and commerce. Located at the shore of Table Bay, the city is home to some of the most popular attractions in South Africa including Table Mountain, Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens and the Victoria and Alfred Waterfront. Travelers to South Africa often begin their African journey in Cape Town before touring the Cape Winelands, viewing the African penguins at Boulder Beach or traveling beyond Cape Town to explore South Africa's natural beauty including its many national parks, game reserves and beautiful coastlines and beaches of the KwaZulu-Natal and Western Cape provinces.
Seasonal until end of March 2020
26 April 2019
Originally Posted by gokeeper
related thread
Best Routing for UA flyer (Paid/Miles) to South Africa (JNB, CPT, ...)[Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

UA to launch Seasonal EWR-CPT - 3x Weekly year-round starting 5 June 2022

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2020, 8:39 am

Programs: UA *G, Accor/Sofitel Gold, InterContinental Platinum
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
It's a seasonal route from October-March.
Thanks so much. Not sure why it did not occur to me. Forgive me. Thanks!
Old Aug 22, 2020, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
EWR-CPT season launch was just pushed back from 10/25 to 12/11
Old Aug 23, 2020, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
2021 I assume at this point
Old Aug 24, 2020, 1:41 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by cfischer
2021 I assume at this point
I doubt this seasonal route will operate at all for the 20/21 southern hemisphere summer.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 7:21 am

Slight update and a question:

https://www.tourismupdate.co.za/arti...rs-meet-demand

"It’s time to put people back to work,” said CEO of the Tourism Business Council of South Africa, Tshifhiwa Tshivhengwa. He spoke to Tourism Update this morning (September 10) in reaction to news that US carrier, United Airlines, would resume its three-weekly seasonal flights to Cape Town and introduce a daily non-stop flight between Newark and Johannesburg.
The new routes – set for spring 2021 in the US (March to June) – are subject to government approval. Tickets will be available for purchase on united.com and the United app in the coming weeks."

Reading that again...
"United Airlines, would [...] introduce a DAILY non-stop flight between Newark and Johannesburg. The new routes – set for spring 2021 in the US (March to June)" (emphasis added).

OK. So the EWR-JNB flight will be daily (v. 3x per week for EWR-CPT). But, will the daily EWR-JNB flight be only during the "spring 2021 in the US (March to June)" season?
Old Sep 10, 2020, 7:32 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
My announcement says "daily nonstop flights between Newark/New York and Johannesburg ... in addition to our seasonal, three-times-weekly service between Newark/New York and Cape Town..."

As they specifically say "seasonal" for CPT, but not for JNB, I am assuming JNB will be year-round.

Delta has previously said ATL-JNB is (was) one of their most profitable routes. I believe it, too, considering the consistent & very high fares on the route. It makes sense to me that United (finally) will chase the same business.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
I wonder how they'll schedule the EWR-JNB flight - early morning NY departure for morning arrival, with a turn, arriving back in evening EWR (i.e., similar to SAA flight from JFK). Or if they'll have evening/night departure with evening arrival, and a turn to get back in morning (similar to SAA flight JNB-JFK). Doubting they'd leave plan on ground for 10-12 hours (SAA can rotate plane onto other flights).

I'm guessing it's the second option - allows easier incoming/onward connections at US end, though not great for any further connections in JNB without an overnight stay. I.e., fairly similar to CPT seasonal flight.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 1:48 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by drewguy
I wonder how they'll schedule the EWR-JNB flight - early morning NY departure for morning arrival, with a turn, arriving back in evening EWR (i.e., similar to SAA flight from JFK). Or if they'll have evening/night departure with evening arrival, and a turn to get back in morning (similar to SAA flight JNB-JFK). Doubting they'd leave plan on ground for 10-12 hours (SAA can rotate plane onto other flights).

I'm guessing it's the second option - allows easier incoming/onward connections at US end, though not great for any further connections in JNB without an overnight stay. I.e., fairly similar to CPT seasonal flight.
IMO, the timing of that isn't horrible for further connections at JNB, it just isn't ideal.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drewguy

Proposed EWR-JNB-EWR schedule is as follows:

EWR-JNB 845p 545p+1
JNB-EWR 800p 545a+1

Proposed to start on or around March 27, 2021.
SPN Lifer, drewguy, narvik and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 24, 2020, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
EWR-CPT seasonal launch was just pushed back from 12/11/20 to 1/6/21.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 8:49 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I don't see this getting off the ground this year, which is unfortunate.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 11:24 pm

where do you see this? I am booked on EWR-CPT on 12/11/20 and the reservation is still active and showing in my booking on United.

Last edited by BLONDIEandDAGWOOD; Oct 28, 2020 at 11:39 pm
Old Oct 28, 2020, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by BLONDIEandDAGWOOD
where do you see this? I am booked on EWR-CPT on 12/11/20 and the reservation is still active and showing in my booking on United.
Go try to book any EWR-CPT flight before 1/6...
Probably will be officially cancelled over the next week.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 8:15 am

Go try to book any EWR-CPT flight before 1/6...
Probably will be officially cancelled over the next week.
Thats so frustrating - luckily I have a back-up as was anticipating this. Will be connecting through London instead which just adds to the travel time.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 11:08 am

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Wow. South African Airways just got a $641,000,000 bailout. My guess is JFK will certainly be one of the routes restarted.

That's too bad. I was hoping UA would get the triple benefit of (1) serving a robust US-SA market, (2) finding a place to deploy many of the idled long-haul birds, and (3) facilitating UA getting back into JFK as SA would be releasing their JFK slots.

Wonder if this will impact UA's newly announced SA routes?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.