Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA to launch Seasonal EWR-CPT - 3x Weekly year-round starting 5 June 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
]United Airlines Preparing New Nonstop Seasonal Service Between New York/Newark and Cape Town, South Africa
United's new nonstop service will save customers nearly eight hours of travel time roundtrip between New York and Cape Town
CHICAGO, April 15, 2019
United Airlines today applied with the U.S. Department of Transportation for authority to begin new service between New York/Newark Liberty International Airport and Cape Town International Airport. United plans to operate nonstop three-times weekly flights to Cape Town starting in December 2019.

"We are always looking at ways to expand our industry-leading international route network to offer our customers more convenient options. We're thrilled to announce the addition of Africa to our global route offering," said Patrick Quayle, United's vice president of International Network. "

This new flight will provide customers with the only nonstop service between the United States and Cape Town." United's nonstop service between New York/Newark and Cape Town will decrease the current travel time from New York to Cape Town by more than four hours and provide customers from more than 80 U.S. cities with easy one-stop access to Cape Town. If approved, United's service between New York/Newark and Cape Town will be operated with Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft featuring 48 seats in United Polaris business class, 88 seats in United Economy Plus and 116 seats in United Economy.

Cape Town is the oldest city in South Africa and the country's center of trade and commerce. Located at the shore of Table Bay, the city is home to some of the most popular attractions in South Africa including Table Mountain, Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens and the Victoria and Alfred Waterfront. Travelers to South Africa often begin their African journey in Cape Town before touring the Cape Winelands, viewing the African penguins at Boulder Beach or traveling beyond Cape Town to explore South Africa's natural beauty including its many national parks, game reserves and beautiful coastlines and beaches of the KwaZulu-Natal and Western Cape provinces.
Seasonal until end of March 2020
26 April 2019
Originally Posted by gokeeper
related thread
Best Routing for UA flyer (Paid/Miles) to South Africa (JNB, CPT, ...)[Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

UA to launch Seasonal EWR-CPT - 3x Weekly year-round starting 5 June 2022

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2019, 8:21 am

Just got back into flyer talk to see if anyone had a clue if the Newark capetown flights would be old Polaris or new. Either way, flying non stop in a straight line happens to be worth an awful lot to me, as I travelled to cpt through Paris a couple years ago and it’s a really long long day.
Interesting reading here on fares, as I am also on that Feb cruise, so figured J class would book early, so I paid more than I wanted to, but got into a silly airline discussion as Montreal Newark was booked in economy.
While this took two weeks to straighten out, it ended up I paid a change fee and got $1000 refund for a price drop at the time.
Capetown is a great, beautiful city, and anyone who has a chance to go to Africa should do so.
United was also very easy to book the Singapore return flight through San Fran.
Happy travels to all
Old Dec 1, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by hampstead
Just got back into flyer talk to see if anyone had a clue if the Newark capetown flights would be old Polaris or new.
The seats will be old seats - can’t imagine UA is going to fly one of the newly-delivered birds on this route.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 11:46 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hampstead
... if anyone had a clue if the Newark capetown flights would be old Polaris or new. ...
UA is scheduling the 787-9 for this route and it is the old, 2-2-2 lie-flat upfront.
UA has stated they will be starting to retrofit 787-9 soon and 1 787-8 has been completed. UA is about 1/2 way thru the fleet retrofits and the 787-8 & 787-9s are going to be at the end of the process.
It will probably be some time (a year?) before the CPT route has a chance of having the all direct aisle access seats.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 10:42 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA has stated they will be starting to retrofit 787-9 soon and 1 787-8 has been completed.
I thought the 1st 787-8 was still being reconfigured?
Old Dec 3, 2019, 11:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 1984SW
I thought the 1st 787-8 was still being reconfigured?
Correct, it went in 2 months ago and I thought it was out for STC but it is still in XMN. But it should be out soon. The first 789 arrived in XMN about 10 days ago.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:58 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold, SW A-List
EWR to CPT being extended past March??

Has UAL made any announcement yet if they are planning to extend their service between EWR and JNB past March? I'm flying there in May and it would make my flight home much easier.

Thank you.

Last edited by Del Mar 1K; Feb 5, 2020 at 11:14 am Reason: Had wrong airport code in title originally.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 11:09 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
It's EWR-CPT, not EWR-JNB.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 11:12 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold, SW A-List
Yes...thank you!
Old Feb 5, 2020, 11:30 am

Can't see anything bookable past March.

Last flight seems to be March 27 EWR-CPT, and then March 28 CPT-EWR.

Not ideal, but maybe JNB-JFK with SA might work? (United has some good saver availability sometimes in J! )
Del Mar 1K likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by narvik

Not ideal, but maybe JNB-JFK with SA might work? (United has some good saver availability sometimes in J! )
Returns in October.
narvik likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Returns in October.
And hopefully Polarized!
Old Feb 5, 2020, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by narvik

Let me tell you there’s a TON of frustrating phantom inventory JFK-JNB so brace yourself! Then of course taxi LGA/EWR-JFK if ur positioning flight is UA. Which routes is SA cutting once many of their A340 get sold off? Having just gone to ZA for the first time (leisure) I must say that I have a strong preference for visiting CPT over JNB, and next to none of SA’s few JNB-CPT flights are bookable through MP. We flew Safair and Airlink, which are fine airlines, for extra $.
narvik likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
Let me tell you there’s a TON of frustrating phantom inventory JFK-JNB so brace yourself! Then of course taxi LGA/EWR-JFK if ur positioning flight is UA. Which routes is SA cutting once many of their A340 get sold off? Having just gone to ZA for the first time (leisure) I must say that I have a strong preference for visiting CPT over JNB, and next to none of SA’s few JNB-CPT flights are bookable through MP. We flew Safair and Airlink, which are fine airlines, for extra $.
I had a JNB-JFK United award ticket booked last week in J with SA (it wasn't phantom, but regrettably still on one of the two ex-Hainan A350 as opposed to the MUCH nicer, never-delivered-to-AirMauritius layout).
Ended up refunding and flying CX to HKG after all, which was a shame: I'd have liked to fly that route, despite the [somewhat] crappy seats.

Re: taxi LGA/EWR-JFK: I terminate flights in NYC, and it's a rental car from there either way, so no skin-off-my-back!
AirbusFan2B likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA GS
I just tried to checkin for my flight from EWR-CPT tomorrow and to my surprise I got the document verification required message instead of a boarding pass. Anyone know why? It’s visa free for US citizens; I’ve only ever gotten that for countries which require a visa.

btw, pretty cute text message from United at checkin time:

“Ready to hang with penguins? It's almost time - check in for your flight to Cape Town.”
Old Feb 6, 2020, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by villox
I just tried to checkin for my flight from EWR-CPT tomorrow and to my surprise I got the document verification required message instead of a boarding pass. Anyone know why? It’s visa free for US citizens; I’ve only ever gotten that for countries which require a visa.
Not required <90 days. EWR and CPT your O&D?

PASSPORT VALIDITY:30 days
BLANK PASSPORT PAGES:2 consecutive empty visa pages per entry
TOURIST VISA REQUIRED:No, if visiting 90 days or less
VACCINATIONS:Yellow fever at least 10 days before arrival is required for travelers originating from or transiting through WHO-designated yellow fever countries
CURRENCY RESTRICTIONS FOR ENTRY:ZAR 25,000; Foreign currency unlimited if declared; No Kruger coins.
CURRENCY RESTRICTIONS FOR EXIT:ZAR 25,000; Foreign currency unlimited if amount was declared on entry; Up to 15 Kruger coins if proof purchased with foreign currency
https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...uthAfrica.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.