Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA to launch Seasonal EWR-CPT - 3x Weekly year-round starting 5 June 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
]United Airlines Preparing New Nonstop Seasonal Service Between New York/Newark and Cape Town, South Africa
United's new nonstop service will save customers nearly eight hours of travel time roundtrip between New York and Cape Town
CHICAGO, April 15, 2019
United Airlines today applied with the U.S. Department of Transportation for authority to begin new service between New York/Newark Liberty International Airport and Cape Town International Airport. United plans to operate nonstop three-times weekly flights to Cape Town starting in December 2019.

"We are always looking at ways to expand our industry-leading international route network to offer our customers more convenient options. We're thrilled to announce the addition of Africa to our global route offering," said Patrick Quayle, United's vice president of International Network. "

This new flight will provide customers with the only nonstop service between the United States and Cape Town." United's nonstop service between New York/Newark and Cape Town will decrease the current travel time from New York to Cape Town by more than four hours and provide customers from more than 80 U.S. cities with easy one-stop access to Cape Town. If approved, United's service between New York/Newark and Cape Town will be operated with Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft featuring 48 seats in United Polaris business class, 88 seats in United Economy Plus and 116 seats in United Economy.

Cape Town is the oldest city in South Africa and the country's center of trade and commerce. Located at the shore of Table Bay, the city is home to some of the most popular attractions in South Africa including Table Mountain, Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens and the Victoria and Alfred Waterfront. Travelers to South Africa often begin their African journey in Cape Town before touring the Cape Winelands, viewing the African penguins at Boulder Beach or traveling beyond Cape Town to explore South Africa's natural beauty including its many national parks, game reserves and beautiful coastlines and beaches of the KwaZulu-Natal and Western Cape provinces.
Seasonal until end of March 2020
26 April 2019
Originally Posted by gokeeper
related thread
Best Routing for UA flyer (Paid/Miles) to South Africa (JNB, CPT, ...)[Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

UA to launch Seasonal EWR-CPT - 3x Weekly year-round starting 5 June 2022

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2020, 10:46 am

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by cfischer
How are we judging EWR-CPT was a big commercial success? I continue to see very very low fares to South Africa ... hard to believe UA is making a lot of dough here. Did anyone publish any profitability?
Please publish those fares and routes. My guess is they include stops in places like Frankfurt, Istanbul, Dubai and Shanghai. Most would pay the $100-$200 premium UA was charging for the non-stop.
cesco.g likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 4:38 pm
Suspended

How are we judging EWR-CPT was a big commercial success? I continue to see very very low fares to South Africa ... hard to believe UA is making a lot of dough here. Did anyone publish any profitability?

No one outside of UA Executives are going to have that information and they won’t be disclosing it.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 11:47 pm

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
Originally Posted by cslovacek
No one outside of UA Executives are going to have that information and they won’t be disclosing it.
given the state of airline for SA, South Africa can present the next big opportunity for UA expansion. IF SA is gone, UA should think about launching some of the former SA routes. South Africa can become another TLV for UA.

EWR-CPT is a serious success for UA and with serious travel time saving for pax. you don't see many markets having this kind of quality.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 12:51 am

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Does UA have a frame that can reach SA from the west coast?
Old Jun 4, 2020, 1:05 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
at 10,000+ miles ? Longer than SIN-JFK. That would take an A350-900ULR and that would be a stretch
Old Jun 4, 2020, 6:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by amtrakusa
given the state of airline for SA, South Africa can present the next big opportunity for UA expansion. IF SA is gone, UA should think about launching some of the former SA routes. South Africa can become another TLV for UA.

EWR-CPT is a serious success for UA and with serious travel time saving for pax. you don't see many markets having this kind of quality.

Exactly. There is little doubt that the easiest and quickest way for us to get home was CPT-EWR-DFW. It was very convenient and saved a lot of time. Going over, we flew DFW-DOH-CPT. We absolutely loved Qatar, but for convenience, landing at EWR, having breakfast in the lounge and then hopping on the next flight, being home by around 12-2 pm, can't beat it. Even my wife agreed and we'll be taking this flight when we travel there again.

On a side note, after had checked in for the flight, there was a 'System Meltdown' at CPT and we ended up waiting about 70 minutes for approximately 30 passengers to be checked-in manually. It was no skin off our back as we had about a 3 1/2 hour layover at EWR, but I thought it was a nice gesture that the Captain chose to wait a while for the passengers.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 6:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
Simply put, no. No one does. I do not believe the A359LR/UR (whatever it is, would be able to do it easily).

CPT-EWR is 7,817 miles and took us 16:10 to fly.
CPT-SFO is 10,253 miles. At approximately 2,500 miles longer, you'd be talking an extra 5 hours of flight time (~21 hours) westbound. It would not be feasible on any plane at the moment.

As a side note, it's only 1.3% further to fly CPT-EWR-SFO.

Long story short, no there isn't a plane that can fly from the west coast of the USA to Cape Town (or at least profitably on the way back - westbound). It makes much more sense to just route the passengers through EWR (or ATL for example, if talking about Delta).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Originally Posted by cslovacek
Simply put, no. No one does. I do not believe the A359LR/UR (whatever it is, would be able to do it easily).

CPT-EWR is 7,817 miles and took us 16:10 to fly.
CPT-SFO is 10,253 miles. At approximately 2,500 miles longer, you'd be talking an extra 5 hours of flight time (~21 hours) westbound. It would not be feasible on any plane at the moment.

As a side note, it's only 1.3% further to fly CPT-EWR-SFO.

Long story short, no there isn't a plane that can fly from the west coast of the USA to Cape Town (or at least profitably on the way back - westbound). It makes much more sense to just route the passengers through EWR (or ATL for example, if talking about Delta).
What about ORD? or alternatively IAH?
Old Jun 5, 2020, 7:22 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
Just some anecdotal experience, but I had a really hard time booking my EWR-CPT flight last year. Many of the flights for December 2019 were completely sold out 4-6 months in advance in business and the few flights that had seats were full J.

We were finally able to get something by setting an alert, but it wasn’t cheap, especially for a “leisure” route.

Finally, this flight tied SFO-SIN, for the most GS I’ve ever seen on a plane. There must have been at least 50 people who boarded when they called GS.
narvik likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 7:53 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by tcdtcd
What about ORD? or alternatively IAH?
ORD seems to be within range for the 789 for, at least for the way to CPT with tailwinds. IAH - CPT is a similar distance to the Quantas PER-LHR route flown in a 789 so its theoretically possible. It wouldn't make sense to serve CPT from multiple hubs though and EWR is a better location for the flight. JNB ends up being a few hundred miles more because its further east then CPT
Old Jun 5, 2020, 8:11 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
ORD seems to be within range for the 789 for, at least for the way to CPT with tailwinds. IAH - CPT is a similar distance to the Quantas PER-LHR route flown in a 789 so its theoretically possible. It wouldn't make sense to serve CPT from multiple hubs though and EWR is a better location for the flight. JNB ends up being a few hundred miles more because its further east then CPT
ORD-CPT is about 330 miles longer than what I think is the longest route out of ORD (AKL at 8184 miles). JNB is nearly 200 miles more than CPT from ORD. Both of those seem like a stretch for reliable operation.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 12:36 pm

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
ORD-CPT is about 330 miles longer than what I think is the longest route out of ORD (AKL at 8184 miles). JNB is nearly 200 miles more than CPT from ORD. Both of those seem like a stretch for reliable operation.
Maybe UA can get some of those sext fifth freedom routes back, you know like the dreaded Kuwait City to Bahrain flight where you had to deplane and hang out in that crappy waiting room with no toilets.

Something like ORD-Windhoek-Capetown (the Steveo express), IAH- Lauda - Capetown (oil paradise), and SFO-Mendoza-Capetown in a malbec colored 787, the wine industry express. .
Old Jun 5, 2020, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
IAH - CPT is a similar distance to the Quantas PER-LHR route flown in a 789 so its theoretically possible.
QF has a slightly less dense configuration than UA (236 vs 252-257 seats), which can be a meaningful difference in these edge performance cases.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA *G, Accor/Sofitel Gold, InterContinental Platinum
Why no UA metal flights CPT-EWR?

I was searching for flights on UA metal DEN-CPT. I was hoping to use some of my ETCs to visit family in SA in April (depending on the COVID situation - I am aware of the lockdown levels in SA). I can find plenty of outbound flights on UA metal, but only returns on LH or SA. If they are flying to CPT, I suspect they must be flying back?

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 12, 2020 at 7:10 pm Reason: moved to existing CPT thread
Old Jun 12, 2020, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
It's a seasonal route from October-March.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.