Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA to launch Seasonal EWR-CPT - 3x Weekly year-round starting 5 June 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
]United Airlines Preparing New Nonstop Seasonal Service Between New York/Newark and Cape Town, South Africa
United's new nonstop service will save customers nearly eight hours of travel time roundtrip between New York and Cape Town
CHICAGO, April 15, 2019
United Airlines today applied with the U.S. Department of Transportation for authority to begin new service between New York/Newark Liberty International Airport and Cape Town International Airport. United plans to operate nonstop three-times weekly flights to Cape Town starting in December 2019.

"We are always looking at ways to expand our industry-leading international route network to offer our customers more convenient options. We're thrilled to announce the addition of Africa to our global route offering," said Patrick Quayle, United's vice president of International Network. "

This new flight will provide customers with the only nonstop service between the United States and Cape Town." United's nonstop service between New York/Newark and Cape Town will decrease the current travel time from New York to Cape Town by more than four hours and provide customers from more than 80 U.S. cities with easy one-stop access to Cape Town. If approved, United's service between New York/Newark and Cape Town will be operated with Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft featuring 48 seats in United Polaris business class, 88 seats in United Economy Plus and 116 seats in United Economy.

Cape Town is the oldest city in South Africa and the country's center of trade and commerce. Located at the shore of Table Bay, the city is home to some of the most popular attractions in South Africa including Table Mountain, Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens and the Victoria and Alfred Waterfront. Travelers to South Africa often begin their African journey in Cape Town before touring the Cape Winelands, viewing the African penguins at Boulder Beach or traveling beyond Cape Town to explore South Africa's natural beauty including its many national parks, game reserves and beautiful coastlines and beaches of the KwaZulu-Natal and Western Cape provinces.
Seasonal until end of March 2020
26 April 2019
Originally Posted by gokeeper
related thread
Best Routing for UA flyer (Paid/Miles) to South Africa (JNB, CPT, ...)[Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

UA to launch Seasonal EWR-CPT - 3x Weekly year-round starting 5 June 2022

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2020, 4:31 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
W
Wonder if this will impact UA's newly announced SA routes?
I don't think too much, SAA is in shambles do they even have any aircraft that can fly this route, I thought they returned the majority of their widebody fleet?
Old Oct 30, 2020, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
I don't think too much, SAA is in shambles do they even have any aircraft that can fly this route, I thought they returned the majority of their widebody fleet?
they still have quite a few A340s
Old Oct 30, 2020, 8:05 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by BLONDIEandDAGWOOD
they still have quite a few A340s
At this point I would doubt they would use those as they had planned to retire them all by 2021. I suspect they would need to source new aircraft.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by BLONDIEandDAGWOOD
where do you see this? I am booked on EWR-CPT on 12/11/20 and the reservation is still active and showing in my booking on United.
yup, as expected, it is now showing as cancelled
Old Nov 15, 2020, 4:40 pm

Programs: United Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
CPT flights canceled in January?

South Africa just announced last week they're opening their borders to everybody who has a negative COVID test, so I was surprised to see an email from ExpertFlyer today showing zero availability on my EWR-CPT flight on January 10. (I thought they would have canceled the flights long ago or would have kept them after this announcement.)

My reservation isn't showing any changes at all, but I tried to recreate my reservation on the website and it's not showing any flights.

I just reached out to UA on Twitter, showed a couple of screenshots, and asked if my flights had been canceled, and was told that no, they're still operating, and the reason they show zero availability is because they're full.

I didn't want to argue, so I just said thank you, but this sounds completely impossible to me. Is it possible the agent is actually right?

I realize the seat map doesn't always correspond to amount of tickets sold, but this doesn't look like a sold out flight to me (UA1122, EWR-CPT, January 10)

Is there any reason at all I should believe what the agent is saying?

Thank you!

Last edited by LASNRT; Nov 15, 2020 at 4:49 pm
Old Nov 15, 2020, 4:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
If EF is showing the flight in the GDS, it has not been cancelled. So while the zeroing out of the flight might be due to sold out or might be UA is considering cancellation or UA is pausing booking to take assessment or a few other things. But until UA removes it from the schedule, it is not formally cancelled -- the agents have not more information than that. They don't have access to a "this flight will be cancelled" heads-up.
Note the generic January schedule update should occur in 2 or 3 weeks.
LASNRT likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
EWR-CPT is scrubbed for the season
Flight cancellations will go out within the next 2 weeks.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
So sad.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 5:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, BA
Yes, so sad. Third time was NOT a charm

Originally Posted by ual744777sta
So sad.
Yep, we were booked in November, then canceled, then booked December, then canceled, then booked January and now this.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 11:34 pm

Angry

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Well, it looks like I'll need to request to be rerouted on LH. As a plat premier on UA, I got free economy plus exit row seats for this flight. Now, I'm looking at $39x8 (2 pax round trip) for just regular seat fees on LH if I want to book my seat in advance. In addition, you know, to the extra 12-15 hours it adds to the trip each way... Ugh.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by LASNRT
Well, it looks like I'll need to request to be rerouted on LH. As a plat premier on UA, I got free economy plus exit row seats for this flight. Now, I'm looking at $39x8 (2 pax round trip) for just regular seat fees on LH if I want to book my seat in advance. In addition, you know, to the extra 12-15 hours it adds to the trip each way... Ugh.
And the lounges are closed ....can you see if you can get protected on TK? The lounges in IST are open.
LASNRT likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 7:49 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
yeah, def the downside of going via Europe. I usually go via FRA and book the Sheraton for the 9-10 hour layover.
LASNRT likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 5:28 pm

I was able to get UA to rebook on TK. As of now the TK lounges are open and the layover times are less than going through Europe. Only downside is TK has cold food on board.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 5:59 pm

Well, after being told on Sunday that the flights are completely full and that’s why there’s no availability, it appears today they’ve begun canceling the flights. My outbound to CPT on 10 January and the return on 30 Jan are both now canceled. This happened within the last couple of hours.

Old Nov 20, 2020, 8:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Well, after being told on Sunday that the flights are completely full and that’s why there’s no availability, it appears today they’ve begun canceling the flights. My outbound to CPT on 10 January and the return on 30 Jan are both now canceled. This happened within the last couple of hours.

can't always trust the information they are sharing!
SPN Lifer and LASNRT like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.