Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA to launch Seasonal EWR-CPT - 3x Weekly year-round starting 5 June 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
]United Airlines Preparing New Nonstop Seasonal Service Between New York/Newark and Cape Town, South Africa
United's new nonstop service will save customers nearly eight hours of travel time roundtrip between New York and Cape Town
CHICAGO, April 15, 2019
United Airlines today applied with the U.S. Department of Transportation for authority to begin new service between New York/Newark Liberty International Airport and Cape Town International Airport. United plans to operate nonstop three-times weekly flights to Cape Town starting in December 2019.

"We are always looking at ways to expand our industry-leading international route network to offer our customers more convenient options. We're thrilled to announce the addition of Africa to our global route offering," said Patrick Quayle, United's vice president of International Network. "

This new flight will provide customers with the only nonstop service between the United States and Cape Town." United's nonstop service between New York/Newark and Cape Town will decrease the current travel time from New York to Cape Town by more than four hours and provide customers from more than 80 U.S. cities with easy one-stop access to Cape Town. If approved, United's service between New York/Newark and Cape Town will be operated with Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft featuring 48 seats in United Polaris business class, 88 seats in United Economy Plus and 116 seats in United Economy.

Cape Town is the oldest city in South Africa and the country's center of trade and commerce. Located at the shore of Table Bay, the city is home to some of the most popular attractions in South Africa including Table Mountain, Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens and the Victoria and Alfred Waterfront. Travelers to South Africa often begin their African journey in Cape Town before touring the Cape Winelands, viewing the African penguins at Boulder Beach or traveling beyond Cape Town to explore South Africa's natural beauty including its many national parks, game reserves and beautiful coastlines and beaches of the KwaZulu-Natal and Western Cape provinces.
Seasonal until end of March 2020
26 April 2019
Originally Posted by gokeeper
related thread
Best Routing for UA flyer (Paid/Miles) to South Africa (JNB, CPT, ...)[Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

UA to launch Seasonal EWR-CPT - 3x Weekly year-round starting 5 June 2022

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2021, 6:41 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
I'm noticing the I space on this flight is really pretty good from middle of Jan on...
JetAway and Xyzzy like this.
Old May 3, 2021, 7:06 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
It appears like the latest schedule has this flight ending March 25, 2022. Any idea of when it was set to terminate or when it ended in 2020? I am hoping to take it in April 2022 so was bummed it appears to stop March 25, 2022.
Old May 3, 2021, 9:33 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by beofotch
It appears like the latest schedule has this flight ending March 25, 2022. Any idea of when it was set to terminate or when it ended in 2020? I am hoping to take it in April 2022 so was bummed it appears to stop March 25, 2022.
That sounds about right, as it was winter-seasonal in 2019/2020. The JNB nonstop will be year-round, though.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 4:33 pm

https://www.tourismupdate.co.za/arti...t-flights-soon

Umm. Wait. Am I missing something? SInce March 2021, I've had confirmed seats on EWR-CPT. Never heard anything about it not happening much less it "restarting"
Old Oct 18, 2021, 4:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jsnydcsa
.... Am I missing something? SInce March 2021, I've had confirmed seats on EWR-CPT. Never heard anything about it not happening much less it "restarting"
EWR-CPT is not presently operating and "tentative" may restart in Dec or ??? and is not scheduled past 25 March 2022.

When is your flight?
Old Oct 18, 2021, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Not sure what a detailed announcement will accomplish beside stirring up interest... but the flight is absolutely in the schedule, for sale, planned to operate with a Polaris/PP-equipped 789.

Thinking about booking a flight myself...
Old Oct 19, 2021, 1:33 am

Programs: United Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond

Umm. Wait. Am I missing something? SInce March 2021, I've had confirmed seats on EWR-CPT. Never heard anything about it not happening much less it "restarting"
My flights for November were canceled a few months ago; I was reassigned a LH flight through FRA instead.

I believe the canceled flights may have been for only a couple of months in Q4 of 2021 (my outbound was 10/31, return 11/20), but others were left alone.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 5:34 am

I'm scheduled to fly CPT - EWR in early March and so far things look on track. The announced codesharing agreement with AirLink is also a good sign, I feel they wouldn't announce it if the flight was looking off track (or if jnb flight frequency was looking to be reduced)
Old Oct 19, 2021, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
When is your flight?
Outbound 10 December with Return 1 January

Trip on those dates is still bookable online via United.com
Full trip details shown when logged in - for myself and accompanying pax.
Shows booked in March 2021 (I don't know if that date would change on the front facing web site if it was "rebooked" or changed by United.
On small US-domestic leg flight number changed (but not flight time). Never received notice of that but whatever.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 2:52 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by LASNRT
My flights for November were canceled a few months ago; I was reassigned a LH flight through FRA instead.

I believe the canceled flights may have been for only a couple of months in Q4 of 2021 (my outbound was 10/31, return 11/20), but others were left alone.
If they cancel my Feb dates and put me on LH I might actually have to go . The MUC-CPT route is a 350 vs the 340 from FRA. Looks like they each run a few days of the week.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 7:27 am

It appears the EWR - CPT flight from December 1 has taken off and is in final arrival to CPT. Good sign that what I believe is the inaugural flight has made it out.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 8:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, BA
Yes, it's a good sign

And loads appear to be steady for the remainder of December. I hope so, since the spouse and I are going out 29 December and returning 10 January.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 9:10 am

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Now year-round, from June 5th

JNelson113 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 9:14 am

Award availability looks really strong post June 5, 2022. Example CPT - EWR Mondays and Thursday 4x+ business award seats per flight.
Sweetspot is ANA where you can book round-trip USA to Africa using this flight for 104,000 ANA points per person.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 10:28 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
United Plans to Expand Service to Cape Town With Year-Round, Non-Stop Flights From New York/Newark

Starting June 5, airline plans to resume three flights per week on a 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft to one of world's most iconic destinations

United is the only airline to fly nonstop from the U.S. to Cape Town and offers more flights to South Africa than any other North American carrier

NEW YORK, Feb. 10, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- United today announced it plans to expand service to one of the world's most popular vacation destinations by offering three nonstop flights per week, year-round, between New York/Newark and Cape Town International Airport, subject to government approval. The new schedule starts on June 5 and means that more than 85 U.S. cities – including places like Chicago, Houston, Washington, D.C. and Los Angeles – will be more conveniently connected to one of the 25 best cities in the world.

United will fly a 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft that includes 48 lie-flat, United PolarisŪ business class seats, 21 United Premium PlusŪ seats and 39 seats in Economy PlusŪ. All seats are equipped with seatback on-demand entertainment to help customers pass the time and relax during their travels.

United is the only airline to offer nonstop flights between the U.S. and Cape Town and offers more flights to South Africa than any other North American carrier.

"By offering flights to Cape Town year-round, we're making it even easier for our customers to visit one of the world's best destinations," said Patrick Quayle, United's senior vice president of international network planning and alliances. "United's direct flights from New York/Newark cut the usual travel time to Cape Town by more than five hours, giving visitors extra time to enjoy the beauty and majesty of South Africa."

According to Expedia's 2022 Travel Trends Report, more than two-thirds of Americans (68%) are planning to go big on their next trip, and nearly a third plan to visit a bucket-list destination this year. This resurgence in international travel is something those in the South African tourism industry are eagerly awaiting.

"This announcement provides much-needed relief to the tourism and hospitality sector in the Western Cape and will support economic recovery in the province," said Wrenelle Stander, CEO of Wesgro. "We welcome the news of this expansion and thank United Airlines for their commitment to serving this world-class tourism destination."

United first launched flights to Cape Town in December 2019, and it quickly became one of the airline's marquee international routes. The airline later built upon this success in Africa with the launch of flights between New York/Newark and Johannesburg in June 2021, new service between Washington D.C. and Accra, Ghana in May 2021 and between Washington D.C. and Lagos, Nigeria in November 2021.

This expanded service also strengthens United's leading network from New York/Newark. United offers service to 74 international destinations from New York/Newark, more than any U.S. carrier. In 2022, the airline will introduce new service to additional international destinations including Palma de Mallorca, Spain; Azores, Portugal; Bergen, Norway; Tenerife, Spain and Nice, France.

Cape Town is South Africa's second-largest city and a melting pot of creativity and cuisine, ranking among the most beautiful in the world. Four towns in the Western Cape Province - Knysna, Stellenbosch, Hermanus, and Cape Town - were recently among the Top 100 most Loved Places in the World in a global consumer sentiment analysis conducted by the destination marketing agency, Destination Think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.