Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2021, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the archive thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1960195-b737max-cleared-faa-resume-passenger-flights-when-will-ua-max-flights-resume.html

Thread Topic
The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
READ BEFORE POSTING

Once again many posters in this thread have forgotten the FT rules and resorted to "Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming " and other non-collegial, non-civil discourse. This is not allowed.

Posters appear to be talking at others, talking about others, not discussing the core issues. Repeating the same statements, saying the same thing LOUDER is not civil discourse. These problems are not with one poster, they are not just one point of view, ...

As useful as some discussion here has been, continuing rules violations will lead to suspensions and thread closure. Please think about that before posting.

The purpose of FT is to be an informative forum that, in this case, enables the UA flyer to enhance their travel experience. There are other forums for different types of discussions. This thread was had wide latitude but that latitude is being abused.

Bottom line, if you can not stay within the FT rules and the forum's topic areas, please do not post.
And before posting, ask if you are bringing new contributing information to the discussion -- not just repeating previous points, then please do not post.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This thread has engendered some strongly felt opinions and a great tendency to wander into many peripherally related topics. By all normal FT moderation standards, this thread would have been permanently closed long ago ( and numerous members receiving disciplinary actions).

However, given the importance of the subject, the UA Moderators have tried to host this discussion but odd here as UA is not the top 1 or 2 or 3 for MAX among North America carriers. However, some have allowed their passion and non-UA related opinions to repeatedly disrupt this discussion.

The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Discussion of Boeing's culture or the impact on Boeing's future is not in scope. Nor is comments on restructuring the regulatory process. Neither is the impacts on COVID on the general air industry -- those are not UA specific and are better discussed elsewhere. And for discussion of UA's future, there is a separate thread.

Additionally repeated postings of essentially the same content should not happen nor unnecessarily inflammatory posts. And of course, the rest of FT posting rules apply including discuss the issue and not the posters.

The Moderator team feels there is a reason / need for this thread but it has been exhausting to have to repeated re-focus the discussion -- don't be the reason this thread is permanently closed ( and get yourself in disciplinary problems).

Stick to the relevant topic which is (repeating myself)

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

United does not fly the 737 MAX 8 that has been involved in two recent crashes, but it does operate the 737 MAX 9.

How to tell if your flight is scheduled to be operated by the MAX 9:

View your reservation or flight status page, either on the web or on the app. United lists the entire aircraft type. Every flight that is scheduled to be on the 737 MAX will say "Boeing 737 MAX 9." If you see anything else -- for example, "Boeing 737-900," it is not scheduled to be a MAX at this time.

The same is true in search results and anywhere else on the United site.

For advanced users: UA uses the three letter IATA identifier 7M9 for the 737 MAX 9.

All 737 MAX aircraft worldwide (MAX 8, MAX 9, and MAX 10) are currently grounded.

Print Wikipost

B737MAX Recertification - Archive

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2019, 12:01 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by jsloan
"the 737 MAX is based upon an old design, which is therefore flawed"
On the surface, I would agree here. A design being old - by whatever/whoever's definition - does not automatically invalidate it or evidence that it is flawed.

Focusing in on the 737 & MAX - based on your posts these are the arguments I see (please correct me if I missed any or misinterpreted any of them)

1. Technology has progressed a lot in the 50 years since the original 737 was certified;
2. the basic laws of aerodynamics are unchanged;
3. a design that flew perfectly well 50 years ago will still fly perfectly well;
4. the horizontal stabilizer is one such system [critical for flight control] but the electronic system controlling it [MCAS] is not as [the horizontal stabilizer] can be adjusted manually

Point 1 and 2 strike me as self-evident and I do not think (?) posters in the thread disagree with them. Therefore point 3 and 4 are where the issues lie.

Drilling down into point 3: a properly maintained 737-100 (entering into commercial service in 1968 ~ 51 years ago) or 737-200 (entering into commercial service in 1968 ~51 years ago) will fly just as good today as it did fifty-one years ago. However, this is largely irrelevant to this thread as no one is expressing concerns on the safety or airworthiness of a properly maintained 737-100/200. The concern expressed here is with regards to the MAX and I'd argue the MAX represents a material differentiation from the original 737's of the late 1960s.

This is NOT to say any evolution/differentiation is bad. The 737 classic (733/734/735) as well as the next-gen 737s (73G/738/739) strike me as a logical extension of the 737 family and affirm your first two arguments (technology progressed, basic laws of aerodynamics remain unchanged).

But when it came to the MAX, the impression I get (as a concerned spectator who has no training, experience, etc. in aeronautical engineering) is Boeing pushed the MAX too far. At the risk of making an analogy to software (where I also have no training, experience, etc.) this strikes me as being akin to an enterprise customer who refuses to let go of their legacy software they've since outgrown...they're using excel to manage their inventory when they really need a purpose-built database. Or maybe they refuse to let go of QuickBooks when the accounting complexities of the business have grown to demand a more complex solution. This is NOT to say there's anything wrong with Excel or Quickbooks BUT it is to say there's a natural limit to what these two programs can offer and a customer demanding more than what they can offer is just setting themselves up for failure.

People want to throw away "legacy" software -- meaning, something that's worked well for a long time, but isn't currently fashionable because it's no longer new. It's a bad bias in software, and it's a bad bias in aviation as well.
...and I think this is where the main point of contention is. A growing company migrating from excel to custom built relational database is not throwing away excel as it more so realizing their business demands have outgrown the capabilities of excel.

Thus the 737 as it was 51 years ago, and its subsequent evolutions, can only go so far. The classics and NG 737s strike me as being winners for all involved. But in designing the MAX, I fear Boeing demanded too much of the 737 leaving us the traveling public to pay the price.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Newman55
Ugh... There's still a lot of uncertain things about why these planes crashed, but one thing is for certain; they did not crash because of the engine placement.
Of course they did. MCAS would be unnecessary without the engine size and placement changes. A feature can't fail if it's not there...
Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Ugh... There's still a lot of uncertain things about why these planes crashed, but one thing is for certain; they did not crash because of the engine placement.
Not certain at all. While perhaps not the proximate cause, one thing is for certain: It'll be noted in the long chain of events that lead to the two crashes.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Of course they did. MCAS would be unnecessary without the engine size and placement changes. A feature can't fail if it's not there...
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Not certain at all. While perhaps not the proximate cause, one thing is for certain: It'll be noted in the long chain of events that lead to the two crashes.
I think that you (DB and VG) point out the problem with Newman55's reasoning. We do not look at things as just direct cause, but as a chain of events more generally.

Had Boeing done an updated design (back in the late 2000s when the Board decided not to) neither of these crashes would have occurred. Instead, Boeing moved late, compromised the plane's aerodynamics out of need due to the limits of the low stance of the 737 and then (either to make it certifiable, or just needing them fixed) MCAS was the "fix". Lots of design issues with the "fix" (single sensor, taking the disagree system off-line absent a special add on instrument package). At a whole host of decision points, had Boeing gone a different way, these accidents would not have happened.

So a chain of errors, which lead to earlier decisions, but (a) not doing a new clean sheet design, and (b) then having to move the engine's forward and up so they could fit under the wing, are good places to look as the initiation of a series of events leading to these crashes.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
When will UA update their schedules again to remove more weeks/months of MAX service? The WSJ quotes the FAA this week saying it won't return to service earlier than October, but UA still has the equipment in their summer (and beyond) schedules.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by Weatherboy
When will UA update their schedules again to remove more weeks/months of MAX service? The WSJ quotes the FAA this week saying it won't return to service earlier than October, but UA still has the equipment in their summer (and beyond) schedules.
Wow! If so, it suggests the FAA has given up on trying to ram Boeing's "plan" - a few extra hours on an iPad - as additional training through.. Unless some other issues we don't know of was uncovered, hard for me to see what the additional delay would be for, other than requiring more intense, and possibly simulator, training.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spin88
Unless some other issues we don't know of was uncovered, hard for me to see what the additional delay would be for, other than requiring more intense, and possibly simulator, training.
Because changing anything vaguely safety related on an aircraft or spacecraft takes a long time, and it takes even longer when there's a lot of visibility. I would expect it to be more real world testing and comparison of pilots flying real aircraft in edge cases against models than simulator training.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by chrisl137
Because changing anything vaguely safety related on an aircraft or spacecraft takes a long time, and it takes even longer when there's a lot of visibility. I would expect it to be more real world testing and comparison of pilots flying real aircraft in edge cases against models than simulator training.
Well that was not the original Boeing/FAA pitch. They were just going to flash on some new software and roll-out a few hours of iPad training. Guess that is not gonna work....

If they have to pay delays through October, and assuming given that length of time that Boeing ends up having to pay $5M in compensation for each plane, then we are talking about $1.5+ Billion. That is more than the MAX program cost Boeing (not counting the engines) according to reports I have seen.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 1:31 am

“Boeing is in talks to settle with families suing them over 737 Max crash deaths and avoid a potentially excruciating trial”

“A lawyer representing multiple families told Business Insider it is in Boeing's "best interest" to settle, as it would stop lawyers going through evidence to see if there were any issues with how the company designed and made the plane.”

https://www.businessinsider.com/boei...d-trial-2019-6

This is why I may now wait up to 3 years to step on a MAX. . I was hoping that the discovery in the lawsuits would flush out the hidden issues.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow! If so, it suggests the FAA has given up on trying to ram Boeing's "plan" - a few extra hours on an iPad - as additional training through.. Unless some other issues we don't know of was uncovered, hard for me to see what the additional delay would be for, other than requiring more intense, and possibly simulator, training.
So, the FAA is inept, until they're suddenly all-powerful again, exactly at the right time to quash Boeing's wanton recklessness, despite the likelihood that it would bankrupt the company?

Maybe it will take longer because both Boeing and the FAA have been trying to get it right the whole time. That interpretation really seems to involve a lot fewer mental gymnastics.

If they have to pay delays through October, and assuming given that length of time that Boeing ends up having to pay $5M in compensation for each plane, then we are talking about $1.5+ Billion. That is more than the MAX program cost Boeing (not counting the engines) according to reports I have seen.
And if they have to pay $30 in compensation for each plane, we're talking about $100K. I don't have any basis for my number, either. And, honestly, what earthly difference does it make?

Originally Posted by BF263533
“A lawyer representing multiple families told Business Insider it is in Boeing's "best interest" to settle, as it would stop lawyers going through evidence to see if there were any issues with how the company designed and made the plane.”
A plaintiff's attorney is hardly an unbiased source.

Originally Posted by BF263533
This is why I may now wait up to 3 years to step on a MAX. . I was hoping that the discovery in the lawsuits would flush out the hidden issues.
It is, and has always been, in Boeing's best interest to settle, not because they want to avoid discovery (although they might -- I have no idea), but because a trial makes for great headlines and terrible PR. Even if they were to win at trial, they'd lose.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Maybe it will take longer because both Boeing and the FAA have been trying to get it right the whole time. That interpretation really seems to involve a lot fewer mental gymnastics.
If Boeing and the FAA had been trying to get it right the whole time, 350 people would be alive today who are now dead. @:-)

And if they have to pay $30 in compensation for each plane, we're talking about $100K. I don't have any basis for my number, either. And, honestly, what earthly difference does it make?
I'm certain Boeing shareholders understand the earthly difference between a $100K loss and a $1.5B loss. @:-)
Old Jun 8, 2019, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is, and has always been, in Boeing's best interest to settle, not because they want to avoid discovery (although they might -- I have no idea), but because a trial makes for great headlines and terrible PR. Even if they were to win at trial, they'd lose.
I'm not so sure about that. To the general public, a settlement looks like an admission of guilt.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well that was not the original Boeing/FAA pitch. They were just going to flash on some new software and roll-out a few hours of iPad training. Guess that is not gonna work....

They started working on the software mod after the first crash, and it was about 6 months before they were talking about thinking they're done - it never looked like "just flash some software and toss out some ipad training"

As much as it sounds like, $1.5B is tiny compared to what they're going to make (or lose) on the orders they have (or lose) if the program succeeds (or tanks). While they wait to get cleared to fly again, they should also be spending a few hundred $M reviewing all the docs behind every change they made from the NG to the MAX to make sure there aren't other high risk changes that got through.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If Boeing and the FAA had been trying to get it right the whole time, 350 people would be alive today who are now dead.
You're assuming willful neglect. I'm not. In the real world, accidents happen. It doesn't take negligence in order for mistakes to be made.

I'm certain Boeing shareholders understand the earthly difference between a $100K loss and a $1.5B loss.
So? I doubt any of us hold enough Boeing shares for it to make any real difference to any of us. (Personally, my only position in Boeing is through a couple of index funds).

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I'm not so sure about that. To the general public, a settlement looks like an admission of guilt.
It doesn't matter. If they settle, the story ends, which puts it in Boeing's best interest. The general public (a) has already convicted Boeing anyway and (b) won't remember this six months after the planes are back in service.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
If Boeing and the FAA had been trying to get it right the whole time, 350 people would be alive today who are now dead.
Or, more importantly, more qualified pilots at those airlines.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.