Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2021, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the archive thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1960195-b737max-cleared-faa-resume-passenger-flights-when-will-ua-max-flights-resume.html

Thread Topic
The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
READ BEFORE POSTING

Once again many posters in this thread have forgotten the FT rules and resorted to "Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming " and other non-collegial, non-civil discourse. This is not allowed.

Posters appear to be talking at others, talking about others, not discussing the core issues. Repeating the same statements, saying the same thing LOUDER is not civil discourse. These problems are not with one poster, they are not just one point of view, ...

As useful as some discussion here has been, continuing rules violations will lead to suspensions and thread closure. Please think about that before posting.

The purpose of FT is to be an informative forum that, in this case, enables the UA flyer to enhance their travel experience. There are other forums for different types of discussions. This thread was had wide latitude but that latitude is being abused.

Bottom line, if you can not stay within the FT rules and the forum's topic areas, please do not post.
And before posting, ask if you are bringing new contributing information to the discussion -- not just repeating previous points, then please do not post.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This thread has engendered some strongly felt opinions and a great tendency to wander into many peripherally related topics. By all normal FT moderation standards, this thread would have been permanently closed long ago ( and numerous members receiving disciplinary actions).

However, given the importance of the subject, the UA Moderators have tried to host this discussion but odd here as UA is not the top 1 or 2 or 3 for MAX among North America carriers. However, some have allowed their passion and non-UA related opinions to repeatedly disrupt this discussion.

The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Discussion of Boeing's culture or the impact on Boeing's future is not in scope. Nor is comments on restructuring the regulatory process. Neither is the impacts on COVID on the general air industry -- those are not UA specific and are better discussed elsewhere. And for discussion of UA's future, there is a separate thread.

Additionally repeated postings of essentially the same content should not happen nor unnecessarily inflammatory posts. And of course, the rest of FT posting rules apply including discuss the issue and not the posters.

The Moderator team feels there is a reason / need for this thread but it has been exhausting to have to repeated re-focus the discussion -- don't be the reason this thread is permanently closed ( and get yourself in disciplinary problems).

Stick to the relevant topic which is (repeating myself)

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

United does not fly the 737 MAX 8 that has been involved in two recent crashes, but it does operate the 737 MAX 9.

How to tell if your flight is scheduled to be operated by the MAX 9:

View your reservation or flight status page, either on the web or on the app. United lists the entire aircraft type. Every flight that is scheduled to be on the 737 MAX will say "Boeing 737 MAX 9." If you see anything else -- for example, "Boeing 737-900," it is not scheduled to be a MAX at this time.

The same is true in search results and anywhere else on the United site.

For advanced users: UA uses the three letter IATA identifier 7M9 for the 737 MAX 9.

All 737 MAX aircraft worldwide (MAX 8, MAX 9, and MAX 10) are currently grounded.

Print Wikipost

B737MAX Recertification - Archive

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2019, 3:13 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
...not a a problem with the design of the airframe or the physical/mechanical engineering behind it.
exploerWannabe - I find myself in partial agreement with your post. To state the obvious - I do not think there is anything inherently wrong with the 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9s.

What I find myself in disagreement is the degree argument the 737MAX = 737 classic or any of the subsequent designs and therefore carries forward in safety record of those prior designs.

Consider MCAS: the reason Boeing added it was to make the MAX "feel" like the NG. What was one of the reasons the MAX did not "feel" like the NG? The change in relative placement of the engines to accommodate the space required for a higher bypass ratio allowing for greater fuel efficiency. Why even attempt to make the adjustment to the way the MAX felt? To make the MAX more attractive to buyers by reducing certification costs and complexities.

Please do not read the above as judgement one way or the other on MCAS, rather I put it forth as evidence the MAX ≠ 737NG.

Originally Posted by fly18725
...do you have the credentials to make such an assessment about the 737 MAX?
Sooner or later the individual must decide what's in his or her best interest based on whatever data s/he has.

Can you or I make an authoritative statement as an aerospace engineer, pilot, government regulator, etc. - probably not as I assume neither of us are.

BUT we both can make an individual decision based on our own beliefs, values, interpretations, prejudices, etc. as to whether or not we will trust a MAX with our individual lives. My take is "no, I do not trust the MAX nor the systems designed to ensure my safety to accurately assess the MAX with my life" but I certainly also understand how a reasonable person can reach a different conclusion. I suspect in time my views could evolve but for now it is not worth the risk I perceive to continue to be a beta tester for Boeing when the price of failure is so high. I'd also point out in this context we can both be _r_ight even if we arrive at different conclusions - and that's okay.

FWIW it is not my intent to convince you my interpretation of the situation is _R_ight (and truth be told, it's probably wrong on some aspects) and I certainly understand how others, drawing on the same data, can reach other conclusions.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by J.Edward
What I find myself in disagreement is the degree argument the 737MAX = 737 classic or any of the subsequent designs and therefore carries forward in safety record of those prior designs.
The MAX is a 737. It is certified under the 737's operating certificate. You can disable the electric flight control systems and operate it manually.

Originally Posted by J.Edward
Consider MCAS: the reason Boeing added it was to make the MAX "feel" like the NG. What was one of the reasons the MAX did not "feel" like the NG? The change in relative placement of the engines to accommodate the space required for a higher bypass ratio allowing for greater fuel efficiency. Why even attempt to make the adjustment to the way the MAX felt? To make the MAX more attractive to buyers by reducing certification costs and complexities.

Please do not read the above as judgement one way or the other on MCAS, rather I put it forth as evidence the MAX ≠ 737NG.
But it isn't evidence of that. If you drive a Nissan Maxima, and you activate "Sport" mode instead of standard driving mode, you're still driving a Nissan Maxima.

A runaway horizontal stabilizer is a possible mode of failure on the 737NG. It appears to be more likely on the MAX -- hence the forthcoming MCAS changes -- but it's not a new problem.

Ultimately, every passenger is trusting the pilot to be able to react to a runaway stabilizer -- not just on the MAX, but also on the NG, and on the A320 series. In fact, I believe the procedure for runaway trim is exactly the same on all of them: disengage the automatic stabilizer and turn the wheel to trim by hand. (The A320 trim wheel is hydraulic-assisted, but other than that they appear to be the same). If pilots fail to follow the correct emergency procedure, on any of these aircraft, the results are likely to be catastrophic.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by jsloan
.... Ultimately, every passenger is trusting the pilot to be able to react to a runaway stabilizer -- not just on the MAX, but also on the NG, and on the A320 series. In fact, I believe the procedure for runaway trim is exactly the same on all of them: disengage the automatic stabilizer and turn the wheel to trim by hand. (The A320 trim wheel is hydraulic-assisted, but other than that they appear to be the same). If pilots fail to follow the correct emergency procedure, on any of these aircraft, the results are likely to be catastrophic.
But the FAA notice post Lion put a different procedure in place for the MAX than the other 737s.

For the non MAX's, the pilot disengages the auto-pilot and tries to correct via the tabs that activate electric control. Only if that fails does the pilot disengage the entire electric control system and use the hand crank.

For the MAX, if the pilot determines the reason is likely based on the MCAS going haywire, they can use the tabs to bring it in trim, but then they immediately shut off the electric system and use the crank.

The reason for difference is that on the MAX the pilot might think they have it under control, and would not know that the MCAS is going to come back with a vengence shortly. And by then they will have lost key time.

Different recovery based on the MCAS, and pilots were being kept in the dark about it.

Maybe somebody can nit-pick me that I did not write this exactly correct. But that a decently long section in the manual specific to the MAX was added should make it clear there is a difference.

Arguably post Lion they should have known.

Last edited by exwannabe; Jun 13, 2019 at 4:17 pm
Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
But it isn't evidence of that. If you drive a Nissan Maxima, and you activate "Sport" mode instead of standard driving mode, you're still driving a Nissan Maxima.
Poor analogy. "Sport" mode on a Nissan Maxima isn't there to prevent a failure mode in the car. "Sport" mode isn't there because the government would require Nissan to create an entirely new model name without it.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Poor analogy. "Sport" mode on a Nissan Maxima isn't there to prevent a failure mode in the car. "Sport" mode isn't there because the government would require Nissan to create an entirely new model name without it.
Your comment confirms there’s a false assumption that MCAS is intended to prevent a failure such as a stall.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your comment confirms there’s a false assumption that MCAS is intended to prevent a failure such as a stall.
MCAS specifically noses plane down in certain conditions. For what other reason do you have a system (other than the pilots themselves) nosing the plane down?

Last edited by DenverBrian; Jun 13, 2019 at 6:23 pm
Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:55 pm

MCAS specifically noses plane down in certain conditions. For what other reason do you have a system other than the pilots nosing the plane down?
It has been explained to you repeatedly within the 1715 posts on this thread.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by exwannabe
But the FAA notice post Lion put a different procedure in place for the MAX than the other 737s.
The service bulletin, which became an airworthiness directive, explained what would happen with an unscheduled MCAS activation and emphasised that the existing runaway stabilizer procedure should be used. None of the steps in the procedure were changed.

Additional information was added to the end of the MAX checklist which gives more detail on the correct techniques to use and the associated warnings that could accompany an invalid AoA input. This additional information is the only difference in the runaway stabilizer checklist on the NG and MAX.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, National Executive Elite, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle

Or perhaps you and others have been arguing under a false assumption that it's not. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/01/b...max-crash.html

At first, MCAS — Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System — wasn’t a very risky piece of software. The system would trigger only in rare conditions, nudging down the nose of the plane to make the Max handle more smoothly during high-speed moves. And it relied on data from multiple sensors measuring the plane’s acceleration and its angle to the wind, helping to ensure that the software didn’t activate erroneously.

Then Boeing engineers reconceived the system, expanding its role to avoid stalls in all types of situations. They allowed the software to operate throughout much more of the flight. They enabled it to aggressively push down the nose of the plane.

But a few weeks later, Mr. Wilson and his co-pilot began noticing that something was off, according to a person with direct knowledge of the flights. The Max wasn’t handling well when nearing stalls at low speeds.

In a meeting at Boeing Field in Seattle, Mr. Wilson told engineers that the issue would need to be fixed. He and his co-pilot proposed MCAS, the person said.

The original version of MCAS could move the stabilizer — the part of the tail that controls the vertical direction of the jet — a maximum of about 0.6 degrees in about 10 seconds. The new version could move the stabilizer up to 2.5 degrees in 10 seconds.
tl:dr Many have argued that MCAS existed as a way to correct a "light" pitch feel caused by certain AoA conditions, not related to an anti-stall measure. This is true - for the first, well publicized version of MCAS that Boeing made aware of to pilots and the FAA.

However, MCAS was revamped, by a much smaller group of engineers and decision makers, to be more aggressive and account for poor handling in low speed stall situations after a test pilot's concerns. This change also led to MCAS activation being triggered by a single AoA sensor. This was not a revamp that Boeing made aware to many - including the regulators who certified the plane under the assumption that the original version MCAS was still the final incarnation of it.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 14, 2019 at 1:14 pm Reason: Discuss the issues, not the poster(s)
Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:00 pm

The MAX is a 737. It is certified under the 737's operating certificate. You can disable the electric flight control systems and operate it manually.

A runaway horizontal stabilizer is a possible mode of failure on the 737NG. It appears to be more likely on the MAX -- hence the forthcoming MCAS changes -- but it's not a new problem.

Ultimately, every passenger is trusting the pilot to be able to react to a runaway stabilizer -- not just on the MAX, but also on the NG, and on the A320 series. In fact, I believe the procedure for runaway trim is exactly the same on all of them: disengage the automatic stabilizer and turn the wheel to trim by hand. (The A320 trim wheel is hydraulic-assisted, but other than that they appear to be the same). If pilots fail to follow the correct emergency procedure, on any of these aircraft, the results are likely to be catastrophic.
Isn't there an issue that human force at times cannot turn the manual wheel? Possibly an electric or hydraulic assist on the wheel may be needed?
Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Poor analogy. "Sport" mode on a Nissan Maxima isn't there to prevent a failure mode in the car.
Neither is the MCAS. Both "sport" mode and the MCAS merely adjust the vehicle's handling.

If the role of the MCAS were to prevent a failure, it stands to reason that it would be enabled when the autopilot is engaged. It's not.

Originally Posted by BF263533
Isn't there an issue that human force at times cannot turn the manual wheel? Possibly an electric or hydraulic assist on the wheel may be needed?
People who have attempted to simulate the ET flight did run into that problem, yes. However, preliminary reports indicate that the ET flight was going much, much faster than it should have been (that affects the force required to turn the wheel), and that the problem wasn't detected until the stabilizer was extremely far out of trim (that affects how far you need to turn the wheel). If you disengage the electric stabilizer when at the correct speed and at (or near) trim, you don't need superhuman strength to turn the wheel.

All aircraft can be maneuvered into unrecoverable situations if the right sequence of failures occurs. The goal of an aircraft designer is to make that sequence as improbable as possible.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
MCAS reminds me of my wife’s Subaru Outback with the eyesight system. If it thinks a collision is going to happen, you override by hitting the gas, which isn’t necessarily what I would do in the moment. Thankfully Subaru doesn’t hide this feature and I shut it off each and every time I drive her car.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Neither is the MCAS. Both "sport" mode and the MCAS merely adjust the vehicle's handling.
Would the FAA have certified the MAX without MCAS? If so, why would Boeing spend the extra money to include it?
Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Would the FAA have certified the MAX without MCAS?
No, because the handling characteristics are part of the certification. That doesn't mean it's intended to prevent a failure, except inasmuch as having a different feel could cause a pilot to oversteer.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, because the handling characteristics are part of the certification. That doesn't mean it's intended to prevent a failure, except inasmuch as having a different feel could cause a pilot to oversteer.
And yet 350 people are dead, it's linked to MCAS, and the planes are still grounded.

That doesn't sound like a "handling characteristics" feature that had a little hiccup.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.