Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Revised UA livery revealed 24 April 2019 (sneak peek on FT on 23rd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 23, 2019, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The “leaked” first shot:

United’s announcement video:
https://twitter.com/united/status/11...525993984?s=20

PDF of the new livery:
https://mma.prnewswire.com/media/876...jpg?p=original

Out with the Gold, in with the Blue - United Airlines Unveils its Next Fleet Paint Design
Updated aircraft livery is the next step in United's ongoing efforts to modernize its visual brand

CHICAGO, April 24, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, United Airlines is introducing customers and employees to a modernized aircraft livery, which will bring a refreshed look to its fleet. The design is a visual representation of United's ongoing brand evolution while staying true to the history it has developed over the past 93 years of proudly serving customers around the world.

"As we improve and elevate our customer experience, we are changing the way people think and feel about United, and this branding captures that new spirit," said Oscar Munoz, CEO of United Airlines. "Each improvement we've added to our service advances our evolution as an airline, furthering our effort to elevate and redefine customer service in the sky. This modernized design, especially our iconic globe, enhances the very best of United's image and values while pointing in the direction of where we intend to go next in serving our customers."

The next iteration of United's livery prominently features the color most connected to the airline's core – blue. Three shades – Rhapsody Blue, United Blue and Sky Blue – are used throughout the design in a way that pays respect to United's heritage while bringing a more modern energy. The airline is keeping its iconic globe logo on the aircraft tail, which represents the carrier's expansive route network of reaching 355 destinations in nearly 60 countries. The tail will be updated with a gradient in the three shades of blue, while the logo will now appear predominantly in Sky Blue. The engines and wingtips are also being painted United Blue, and the swoop that customers and employees have expressed fondness for on United's Dreamliner fleet will be added to all aircraft in Rhapsody Blue. United's name will appear larger on the aircraft body and the lower half of the body will be painted Runway Gray. United's mission of "Connecting people. Uniting the world." will also be painted near the door of each aircraft.

The new design features core colors from United's updated brand palette, which was introduced last year as a step toward updating the brand's visual identity. Blue continues to be the airline's primary color, with various tones creating more depth and reflecting the colors customers and employees see when they look out the plane window at the sky. The airline's new color palette also includes shades of purple, which is most recognizable as the color of the new United Premium Plus seats are being added to the fleet. When combined, the purple and blue tones create a soothing environment and a more relaxed travel experience. In updating its colors, United is reducing the use of gold, which was added to the brand palette almost 30 years ago. United's new color palette can also be seen in the accent colors of the new uniforms that are being created for more than 70,000 front-line employees.

On average, United aircraft receive new paint jobs every seven years. The first aircraft painted with the new design is a Boeing 737-800, which will be joined by a mix of narrowbody, widebody and regional aircraft with the updated livery throughout the year. For more information visit united.com/brandevolution.
Print Wikipost

Revised UA livery revealed 24 April 2019 (sneak peek on FT on 23rd)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kittiyut
Not a disaster, but not a WoW either. And where's the purple element?

I would much prefer any of the leaked (fake) design:

I, on the other hand, hated all of the above and most especially the purple. I like the blue engines, think they provide a nice contrast to both the white upper fuselage and gray lower fuselage.
coolbeans202 likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL, UA
Originally Posted by TravellingMan
I can never quite understand the fascination of how an aircraft looks on the outside. I would prefer if they strip off all the paint and reduce the weight of the aircraft by leaving it with the aluminum finish.

You never get to see the aircraft while boarding, flying or when getting off the aircraft. How is this going to influence your future ticket purchase? Instead I wish they would just make the insides comfortable. Like getting some more padding to the slimline seats and bit more wiggle room in the new toilets. That would go long ways in building the brand IMO than these stupid paint jobs on the outside.
With the increasing use of composites there is less aluminum to leave exposed...at best youd’d have a patchwork.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold

Tulip makes a brief appearance in the rollout vid.
nnn likes this.

Last edited by n198ua; Apr 24, 2019 at 12:16 pm Reason: edit.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
My biggest regret (well, regarding the United livery) is that the airline passed up the opportunity to incorporate orange in the redesign. Orange was prominent in United’s color scheme, at least before the Battleship Gray motif, and it would be a nice, subtle homage to that side of the company.

More importantly, orange is warm. In United’s rebranding materials, they emphasize the incorporation of “cool“ colors — their word. But United’s problem is not that it’s seen as insufficiently cool; it’s that it’s seen as too cold. A little human warmth would be a good look for the carrier, and orange would have helped with that.

It could have been incorporated nicely into the globe, perhaps as an outline, like the hues of a sunrise as seen from high altitude.
cerealmarketer, nnn and UAL757222 like this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Originally Posted by ATLintheair
With the increasing use of composites there is less aluminum to leave exposed...at best youd’d have a patchwork.
Whats wrong with a patchwork? It will have the rugged look that most SUVs try to achieve with plastic.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 1:21 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Agree with those calling this a marked improvement. Also agree with the comment that a heritage tulip livery in the fleet would be very cool.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by ezefllying
My biggest regret (well, regarding the United livery) is that the airline passed up the opportunity to incorporate orange in the redesign. Orange was prominent in United’s color scheme, at least before the Battleship Gray motif, and it would be a nice, subtle homage to that side of the company.

More importantly, orange is warm. In United’s rebranding materials, they emphasize the incorporation of “cool“ colors — their word. But United’s problem is not that it’s seen as insufficiently cool; it’s that it’s seen as too cold. A little human warmth would be a good look for the carrier, and orange would have helped with that.

It could have been incorporated nicely into the globe, perhaps as an outline, like the hues of a sunrise as seen from high altitude.
That would look awful.
EmailKid and seanp7 like this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 1:34 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Kmxu
So, for the recently painted aircraft, will United just use "touch paint" to update those aircraft? For example, using the Blue to cover the Gold.
Methinks they will adopt AA and AS model, and just repaint the frames when the next scheduled paint job is due @:-) IIRC someone (maybe Bunky) already alluded to this.

And like AS the livery is similar enough that it blends right in.

Originally Posted by ATLintheair
Use of composite is exactly what AA quoted when they stopped leaving aluminium unpainted. Apparently it saved money not just on painting, but a little bit on fuel - though I wonder if that is true. But hey, it was on the internet
Old Apr 24, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Not a bad new design but I’m not wow’d by it. Definitely a lot more blue than I thought and doesn’t incorporate some of the silver/metallic and purple schemes. Certainly more tropical feeling than I anticipated.

Anyhow, they need the rebranding so we’ll see how long this lasts.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 2:07 pm

My gawd is that one ugly looking plane! Perhaps it'll take some time for it to grow on me but I've got a few problems with the new design:
  1. Never put letter or parts of a logo over window shades it looks tacky
  2. Where's the Golden stripe that signifies UA's qwality?
  3. The new globe looks too simplistic
If I were to rate the UA liveries in order of preference I'd put them in the following order:

DenverBrian and nnn like this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 2:55 pm

Out with the Gold, in with the Blue - United Airlines Unveils its Next Fleet Paint Design

PDF of the new livery

Last edited by atword; Apr 24, 2019 at 3:00 pm Reason: Adding a link I missed
Old Apr 24, 2019, 3:05 pm

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
Minor detail, I know, but I like that they put the tail number up high - where pmua always put the tail number.

I like to check the tail number of the aircraft I fly. While I know that the app now shows the ship number, it will be good to be able to easily see the tail number. The current livery based on the pmco system has the tail number printed low which made it hard to see from the terminal.
halls120, am1108 and YadiMolina like this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28

That would look awful.
A little too Denver Broncos-ish for my taste but I don't know about awful. Orange accents would definitely be better than that horrible purple.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 3:32 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
A little too Denver Broncos-ish for my taste but I don't know about awful. Orange accents would definitely be better than that horrible purple.
You mean like the Ted livery?

Originally Posted by j2simpso
My gawd is that one ugly looking plane! Perhaps it'll take some time for it to grow on me but I've got a few problems with the new design:
  1. Never put letter or parts of a logo over window shades it looks tacky
  2. Where's the Golden stripe that signifies UA's qwality?
  3. The new globe looks too simplistic
If I were to rate the UA liveries in order of preference I'd put them in the following order:
You forgot the Star Alliance Frankenstein livery.

Old Apr 24, 2019, 3:39 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by PTahCha

You forgot the Star Alliance Frankenstein livery.
If it's not THE worst livery ever, it's certainly in top three @:-)

How do some people keep their jobs
ACVBear and lixiaojuventus like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.