Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Revised UA livery revealed 24 April 2019 (sneak peek on FT on 23rd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 23, 2019, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The “leaked” first shot:

United’s announcement video:
https://twitter.com/united/status/11...525993984?s=20

PDF of the new livery:
https://mma.prnewswire.com/media/876...jpg?p=original

Out with the Gold, in with the Blue - United Airlines Unveils its Next Fleet Paint Design
Updated aircraft livery is the next step in United's ongoing efforts to modernize its visual brand

CHICAGO, April 24, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, United Airlines is introducing customers and employees to a modernized aircraft livery, which will bring a refreshed look to its fleet. The design is a visual representation of United's ongoing brand evolution while staying true to the history it has developed over the past 93 years of proudly serving customers around the world.

"As we improve and elevate our customer experience, we are changing the way people think and feel about United, and this branding captures that new spirit," said Oscar Munoz, CEO of United Airlines. "Each improvement we've added to our service advances our evolution as an airline, furthering our effort to elevate and redefine customer service in the sky. This modernized design, especially our iconic globe, enhances the very best of United's image and values while pointing in the direction of where we intend to go next in serving our customers."

The next iteration of United's livery prominently features the color most connected to the airline's core – blue. Three shades – Rhapsody Blue, United Blue and Sky Blue – are used throughout the design in a way that pays respect to United's heritage while bringing a more modern energy. The airline is keeping its iconic globe logo on the aircraft tail, which represents the carrier's expansive route network of reaching 355 destinations in nearly 60 countries. The tail will be updated with a gradient in the three shades of blue, while the logo will now appear predominantly in Sky Blue. The engines and wingtips are also being painted United Blue, and the swoop that customers and employees have expressed fondness for on United's Dreamliner fleet will be added to all aircraft in Rhapsody Blue. United's name will appear larger on the aircraft body and the lower half of the body will be painted Runway Gray. United's mission of "Connecting people. Uniting the world." will also be painted near the door of each aircraft.

The new design features core colors from United's updated brand palette, which was introduced last year as a step toward updating the brand's visual identity. Blue continues to be the airline's primary color, with various tones creating more depth and reflecting the colors customers and employees see when they look out the plane window at the sky. The airline's new color palette also includes shades of purple, which is most recognizable as the color of the new United Premium Plus seats are being added to the fleet. When combined, the purple and blue tones create a soothing environment and a more relaxed travel experience. In updating its colors, United is reducing the use of gold, which was added to the brand palette almost 30 years ago. United's new color palette can also be seen in the accent colors of the new uniforms that are being created for more than 70,000 front-line employees.

On average, United aircraft receive new paint jobs every seven years. The first aircraft painted with the new design is a Boeing 737-800, which will be joined by a mix of narrowbody, widebody and regional aircraft with the updated livery throughout the year. For more information visit united.com/brandevolution.
Print Wikipost

Revised UA livery revealed 24 April 2019 (sneak peek on FT on 23rd)

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2019, 4:21 pm

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by elitefreak
No live sightings yet?
I flew on it from PHX to SFO on Tuesday afternoon (5/7). Lots of people were taking pics of it in both cities. From inside the airport and on the ground

I tried to attach a pic, but doesnt seem to work.
narvik likes this.

Last edited by Chukiechz; May 9, 2019 at 4:31 pm
Old May 10, 2019, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I have to tell you that Continental was always my choice flying from Australia to the USA. I was very disappointed when they stopped flying and I started flying United. Running joke amongst my friends was that United would get you to the USA it would just be late.

I was thrilled when they merged and the familiar logo was back. The logo was always a sign to me I was going some where exciting. So it may not rate as technically as good artistically but the world logo resonates with me.

I think in marketing the brand recognition and sense of joy is what they seek. I love the logo - whatever the rendition but they do need to keep it to the CO blue hues. The blue color goes and so I think does my association.
You’re illustrating the problem. It isn’t supposed to be CO, it’s supposed to be United. Absolutely an utter failure of a “brand” because the name of the surviving & acquring airline is not what you think.

CO stopped flying to Australia decades ago. It is not more known than the Tulip or United down under. Most people outside of the US knew “Continental” as a tire. Even SMI/J admitted that in an interview once, and I bet it pained him to death too.
am1108 likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by UAL757222
Most people outside of the US knew “Continental” as a tire.
...which is exactly where continental.com goes to nowadays.

---

It would be nice to see an actual picture of the new livery. A shame that the [apparently] only member with a picture of it is unable to upload!
Old May 10, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member

From a FB group. Taken at DEN
kittiyut and narvik like this.
Old May 10, 2019, 4:35 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by qfrodo
Yup, still meh .....

Thanks for uploading the photo though ^

Should have extended the globe all the way down like in one of the mockups and like AS did with their tail (plus).
Old May 10, 2019, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer

Love the Tulip and rising blue livery (disliked battleship and the CO logo / livery)

But the decision was made with Glenn Tilton who remained chairman.

At the time UA brand was damaged goods from 30+ years of labor strife and financial turmoil while CO held the place Delta does today. Here is data from the UA flight attendants themselves:

https://unitedafa.org/news/2009/7/1/...faction-study/

I suppose a truly rational manager from a pax perspective would have named it all Continental.

Had Tilton worked out a deal with US or Northwest we’d probably still have the tulip.

Trying to imagine UA / DL - my guess is Delta name would have survived.

That's an interesting interpretation trying to link Tilton to this to soften the blow...the reality is Smisek advocated for the Continental name to stay, Tilton said Chicago WHQ and the United name had to stay and initially guided Smisek to keep the entire brand. The frankenstein brand was entirely a creation of Smisek and his lieutenants who knew that they had little leverage in getting Tilton to change those demands, as CO would have little chance at independent survival in a land of UA/US - so they blinked but wanted something out of it, so made a petty demand to keep their branding - it turned out to represent the utter incompetence that the integration would later become.

Lastly, the proposed DL/UA discussions Tilton made 2005-2009, the same demands to the DL side - UA name, Chicago WHQ...in 2006-2008 during the first CO talks, United was prepared to let both of go - The CO side's hubris mean't they didn't get that chance in 2009 when UAL Corp. had the upper hand (and ultimately end up acquiring Continental).
am1108 likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 5:04 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM - Jet Blue Mosaic - Hyatt LTG - Marriott Plat - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cricketer
I finally figured out the problem with going over the windows -- font size and centering. The others that do this by and large have a larger font, and the writing is better vertically centered over the window. I would tentatively venture to aver (with apologies to Sir Humphrey Appleby) that the way UA has done it requires just that fractional extra bit of cognitive engagement to process the letters. As a result, it doesn't quite work.
​​​​​​
I agree. I think that is my biggest problem with the livery - the UNITED logo just looks terrible over the windows.
Old May 10, 2019, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Awesome! Thanks for posting. ^

(Looks pretty nice, IMO. Nothing too different.)
Old May 11, 2019, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by tuolumne
That's an interesting interpretation trying to link Tilton to this to soften the blow...the reality is Smisek advocated for the Continental name to stay, Tilton said Chicago WHQ and the United name had to stay and initially guided Smisek to keep the entire brand. The frankenstein brand was entirely a creation of Smisek and his lieutenants who knew that they had little leverage in getting Tilton to change those demands, as CO would have little chance at independent survival in a land of UA/US - so they blinked but wanted something out of it, so made a petty demand to keep their branding - it turned out to represent the utter incompetence that the integration would later become.

Lastly, the proposed DL/UA discussions Tilton made 2005-2009, the same demands to the DL side - UA name, Chicago WHQ...in 2006-2008 during the first CO talks, United was prepared to let both of go - The CO side's hubris mean't they didn't get that chance in 2009 when UAL Corp. had the upper hand (and ultimately end up acquiring Continental).
From what I remember in 2008, the airline would’ve still been United in Chicago and CO being acquired. Whether we still had a Tulip or not, I don’t know, but I feel like this hideous mess was all Jeff. The CO execs can cry all they wanted, United Airlines and the United Airlines “U” logo were more well known around the world than CO and some generic clip art tumor. It’s why Oscar Munoz is not the person who should be CEO - he has ties to CO...and he’s basically Jeff with a better smile, IMO.

They did give up more leverage in the two years, since UA has way more power than the proposed 2008 merger. If they had waited until 2012, it would’ve been a complete takeover of CO. Smisek was already slashing things and CO had already been on a steady 6 year side, and coasting on their reputation. There was also long term debt that was due in 2011 and aircraft orders they didn’t have financing all sewn up for.

Maybe if Scott Kirby ever becomes CEO he’ll want to stamp his own look on this thing with his own logo and livery. It can’t get any worse, right? Right?
am1108 likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive

I think it looks very nice!
narvik likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 6:16 pm

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Chukiechz

I flew on it from PHX to SFO on Tuesday afternoon (5/7). Lots of people were taking pics of it in both cities. From inside the airport and on the ground

I tried to attach a pic, but doesnt seem to work.
uploaded my pic
Old May 12, 2019, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by tuolumne

What i stated was that if reputation were the primary factor, the rational choice was to go all Continental with the name - the quantitative brand metrics were all in the basement for UA for years.

The demand from Tilton is how we ended up combined, rather than a straight up Continental brand all around - by insisting on keeping United in name and having the leverage to do so.

Now was that demand because of a fear of how labor react? Don't know - my guess is both sides insisted on the brand moves not because of any brand metrics but because of fears of labor response from both sides. It was all about placating employee groups.

Would it have been all UA had it happened a few years later - can speculate all you want. Neither of these airlines had a domestic network to be proud of vs DL/NW.

Walking away in 2008 wasn't about hubris. It was about risk aversion - to labor, to spiking oil on a weakening economy. Sometimes risk aversion is the right move, sometimes it isn't.

Originally Posted by UAL757222

Maybe if Scott Kirby ever becomes CEO he’ll want to stamp his own look on this thing with his own logo and livery. It can’t get any worse, right? Right?
The new livery is very much a cousin of the America West and US Airways liveries.

There was no 'steady 6 year slide' at Continental. $15 PRASM in 2010 - only one year in the past 6 higher, right in line with...United.

http://web.mit.edu/airlinedata/www/2...eat%20Mile.htm

Last edited by cerealmarketer; May 12, 2019 at 6:51 pm
Old May 12, 2019, 6:53 pm

Currently stuck in POS due to maintenance. Maybe the negative opinions of the paint job got it temporarily grounded
narvik likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 6:58 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Doubt you can just pull up to a dumpster and get rid of the paint job
ExplorerWannabe and UAL757222 like this.
Old May 13, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by TheHolyCobra
Currently stuck in POS due to maintenance. Maybe the negative opinions of the paint job got it temporarily grounded
I really like the blue engines!
am1108 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.