Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

India/Pakistan 2019 conflict impacts UA to India,DEL suspended 5 Apr 19 until 5 Sept?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tarheelnj
*** Email 7/30/19 - EWR-DEL/BOM nonstops resume September 6th.***

Posted 16 Juky 2019

Posted 15 July 2019

Posted 21 June 2019

Older Updates -- DEL "Cancellations" extended thru end of July 2019 (although Travel Alerts still refers to July 2)

Was "announced" in the Q1 earnings conference call today this would be extended to 2 July 2019, the data in "Travel waivers" has not been updated.
DEL service suspended until July
Due to seasonal winds and the continued closure of Pakistani airspace, we’re currently unable to operate our flights between New York/Newark (EWR) and New Delhi (DEL) while meeting crew flying time requirements. Beginning April 5, in order to minimize the inconveniences for our customers, we will suspend the service until July 2 for eastbound flights and July 3 for westbound flights. We’ll continue to closely monitor this situation and remain in contact with U.S. government authorities and our international partners. We’re also reaching out directly to our customers booked on these flights to provide alternative travel options, including rebooking on other airlines or offering full refunds. We will continue to operate our nonstop flights from New York/Newark to Mumbai (BOM).

related thread -]UA 48/49 EWR BOM suspended due to "current events in Iran" 20 June 2019 until 1 Sept?
Print Wikipost

India/Pakistan 2019 conflict impacts UA to India,DEL suspended 5 Apr 19 until 5 Sept?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Plus the curfew rules in Germany mandate that the flights arrive after a certain time, that is why all BOM/DEL - FRA/MUC flights leave after 1:30am IST.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:53 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
switched to BA with stop in London or CX thru HKG, until the non-stop opens up again w/o a stop. About the same amount of time and the CX PE product is nice, BA's not so much!
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
I'm watching UA49 on FR24 right now, there hasn't been a regularly scheduled UA flight that travels over Iraq, Turkey, Bulgaria, Seriba, etc in quite a long time, has there ?
Old Mar 17, 2019, 1:52 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
UA is refusing to accept new cargo orders for these flights in an attempt to reduce weight. I wonder if an empty cargo hold (still carrying luggage) would omit the need to stop and refuel.

Suspension of New Bookings into BOM and DEL 03/05/19
Old Mar 17, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, Amex Plat, UA Club Card, National EE, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Is UA waiving change fees though? I have DEL-EWR, if a change fee waiver is issued, I'd still like to keep the flight, but add a EWR-DEL return segment
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: UA Gold (1 MM),AA Gold, DL Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat,
I'm due to fly 3/25 HYD-BOM-EWR and just spoke to UA agent who told me that flights have been arriving into EWR 5-6 hrs late because of the fuel stop in MUC or FRA. I understand that they have large operations in Germany but agree with other comments that it makes more sense to fuel stop in KEF or maybe SNN due to the restrictions on early morning arrivals into Germany. Not looking forward to this flight back. Flight EWR-DEL was 2 hours long than normal because of extended routing down the Persian Gulf.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
The problem is when they go mx, they'd really rather be at a large airport with a partner than small island in the Atlantic. Some of the flights could push to Canada, but they don't want to mx there either.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by IADFLYi
I'm due to fly 3/25 HYD-BOM-EWR and just spoke to UA agent who told me that flights have been arriving into EWR 5-6 hrs late because of the fuel stop in MUC or FRA. I understand that they have large operations in Germany but agree with other comments that it makes more sense to fuel stop in KEF or maybe SNN due to the restrictions on early morning arrivals into Germany. Not looking forward to this flight back. Flight EWR-DEL was 2 hours long than normal because of extended routing down the Persian Gulf.
So if they have a stop in FRA/MUC does that make them subject to EC261 compensation?
Old Mar 17, 2019, 12:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
So if they have a stop in FRA/MUC does that make them subject to EC261 compensation?
Only if UA sells a ticket from the EU. These are tech stops, no different than a diversion. Those flights are not servicing the EU.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Only if UA sells a ticket from the EU. These are tech stops, no different than a diversion. Those flights are not servicing the EU.
Could/would UA use that tech stop to accommodate passengers affected by IRROPs in FRA?
Old Mar 17, 2019, 1:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TomMM
Could/would UA use that tech stop to accommodate passengers affected by IRROPs in FRA?
Not without changing the nature of the stop. Likely that would create a whole can of worms UA probably would prefer not to get into.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:51 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by rolltribe
UA's India flights stopping in Europe due to Pakistani airspace closure. Because they can't fly through Pakistan and US flagged birds won't fly over Iran the routing is outside the aircrafts' range. AC can still make it into India nonstop as they are able to route over Iran, so swapping to AC via YYZ might be an option if you're concerned. See below for full discussion.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...s-del-bom.html
Go check out the AC forum. All kinds of passengers in DEL waiting for their luggage to arrive from YVR because it was offloaded to reduce the aircraft weight for the longer route over Iran. A fuel stop in Germany sounds terrific by comparison.
Dhamal likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mduell
The problem is when they go mx, they'd really rather be at a large airport with a partner than small island in the Atlantic. Some of the flights could push to Canada, but they don't want to mx there either.
Making the stop in Germany probably also makes more sense for UA if you consider the crew changeover aspect. Probably a lot easier to handle the details of changing crews in a place where there is already a base, with lots of UA flights in/out than a smaller station that doesn’t have all that. Getting them in, accommodations, etc. Ditto with other aspects such as catering, where they already have a larger operation setup which probably makes it easier to scale up for the extra flights there, then say, KEF. I’d guess they also get a better rate on airport fees, etc.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Making the stop in Germany probably also makes more sense for UA if you consider the crew changeover aspect. Probably a lot easier to handle the details of changing crews in a place where there is already a base, with lots of UA flights in/out than a smaller station that doesn’t have all that. Getting them in, accommodations, etc. Ditto with other aspects such as catering, where they already have a larger operation setup which probably makes it easier to scale up for the extra flights there, then say, KEF. I’d guess they also get a better rate on airport fees, etc.
Or it just adds a day to the trip for the crew going to India. Too bad the UK would've been best in terms of visa requirements for Indians, but LHR has no slots you can get on the snap. FRA has plenty of *A flights to get you back to the US.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:37 am

Our BOM/DEL 4 days have temporarily become 5 day trips until this issue is resolved etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.