Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

India/Pakistan 2019 conflict impacts UA to India,DEL suspended 5 Apr 19 until 5 Sept?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tarheelnj
*** Email 7/30/19 - EWR-DEL/BOM nonstops resume September 6th.***

Posted 16 Juky 2019

Posted 15 July 2019

Posted 21 June 2019

Older Updates -- DEL "Cancellations" extended thru end of July 2019 (although Travel Alerts still refers to July 2)

Was "announced" in the Q1 earnings conference call today this would be extended to 2 July 2019, the data in "Travel waivers" has not been updated.
DEL service suspended until July
Due to seasonal winds and the continued closure of Pakistani airspace, we’re currently unable to operate our flights between New York/Newark (EWR) and New Delhi (DEL) while meeting crew flying time requirements. Beginning April 5, in order to minimize the inconveniences for our customers, we will suspend the service until July 2 for eastbound flights and July 3 for westbound flights. We’ll continue to closely monitor this situation and remain in contact with U.S. government authorities and our international partners. We’re also reaching out directly to our customers booked on these flights to provide alternative travel options, including rebooking on other airlines or offering full refunds. We will continue to operate our nonstop flights from New York/Newark to Mumbai (BOM).

related thread -]UA 48/49 EWR BOM suspended due to "current events in Iran" 20 June 2019 until 1 Sept?
Print Wikipost

India/Pakistan 2019 conflict impacts UA to India,DEL suspended 5 Apr 19 until 5 Sept?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1k 3mm, HH-LifeDiamond, Mar-LifePlatElite

I'm on UA, and internet is spotty - so sorry in advance

we were en route EWR-BOM and just about over Moscow, when the pilot comes on and says "We're diverting to Frankfurt -Airspace closed no information available. Landing there in 1 hr41mins."

I'll try and send an update when I land, but if anyone knows why in advance, that would be fun to know the reason.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I suspect because of closed Pakistani airspace. Will be a mess.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:45 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Pakistani airspace closed due to conflict with India
Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:48 am

Programs: United 1K, Frontier 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond/ Ambassador/ Milestoner
Maybe related to very recent India Air Force attack within Pakistan. Maybe anti-aircraft defenses are on alert.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:54 am
Original Poster

thanks for the quick responses... yes, looking to be a mess for sure!
Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
For Mumbai, you'll have to approach west of Pakistan, which would clearly be a major diversion if you are already over Moscow. My guess is that the plane did not have sufficient fuel to skirt Pakistan altogether. With two Indian jets shot down over Pakistan, it would be unwise to fly anywhere near that area currently.
Dhamal likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 5:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As OP Is traveling, he cannot see it, but there are significant cancellations and then diversions of airborne flights as Pakistan has closed its airspace. As this is not an inflight emergency requiring an immediate diversion, best to return to FRA where UA has a base and can deal with the issue.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Much better than AC42 - turning around to go back to YYZ half way enroute to DEL. Gonna be a long day for those pax in knee-crushing AC Y.

EWR-DEL diverted to LHR
MSPeconomist and AceReport like this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:06 am
Original Poster

I feel for anyone on the diversion. FRA did as good of a job as possible all things considered. The agents were certainly overwhelmed at first. There are flights going around Pakistan, and as per the ground agent here in FRA, Non US carriers can route over Iran (I can't independently verify this - so I am only reporting what I heard) , so there are options from FRA - and likely LHR as well. Hopefully things trend towards calming vs escalation in the region.
narvik and wrp96 like this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Not a great option, lots of pax that may need EU visas.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Tonight's (Wednesday) EWR-BOM/DEL departures both show 'on schedule'.

AI's SFO-DEL is probably the longest flight into DEL that is affected, but the 77L should be able to handle the deviation.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by UAgeek71
Non US carriers can route over Iran.
So US carriers (e.g., UA) cannot overfly Iran? Makes life rather difficult if both Iranian AND Pakistani airspace is closed to them (either/or looks manageable).

I've only flown European or ME carriers into India and we frequently overflew Iran, so was unaware of this.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:10 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I think US carriers can overfly Iran if they choose, but it is highly discouraged by the US gov't due to security risks in the air and on the ground in the event of an emergency.

If you review the historical flight routing for UA48, it looks like on most days the aircraft overflies the northeastern tip of Iran.

Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
So US carriers (e.g., UA) cannot overfly Iran?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:17 am
Original Poster

I’d say at least 1/3 of the passengers did not have eu Visa upon landing in Fra, just based on how they made everyone cue up.

For those w/o it seems UA booked anyone who they couldn’t get out today in a hotel room in the transit area. Definitely none of those unlucky passengers were allowed to leave the secured terminal they brought us to (b side) Shengen
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
For Mumbai, you'll have to approach west of Pakistan, which would clearly be a major diversion if you are already over Moscow. My guess is that the plane did not have sufficient fuel to skirt Pakistan altogether. With two Indian jets shot down over Pakistan, it would be unwise to fly anywhere near that area currently.
Can you share the source of "two Indian jets shot down "...presumably IAF ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.