Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

India/Pakistan 2019 conflict impacts UA to India,DEL suspended 5 Apr 19 until 5 Sept?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tarheelnj
*** Email 7/30/19 - EWR-DEL/BOM nonstops resume September 6th.***

Posted 16 Juky 2019

Posted 15 July 2019

Posted 21 June 2019

Older Updates -- DEL "Cancellations" extended thru end of July 2019 (although Travel Alerts still refers to July 2)

Was "announced" in the Q1 earnings conference call today this would be extended to 2 July 2019, the data in "Travel waivers" has not been updated.
DEL service suspended until July
Due to seasonal winds and the continued closure of Pakistani airspace, we’re currently unable to operate our flights between New York/Newark (EWR) and New Delhi (DEL) while meeting crew flying time requirements. Beginning April 5, in order to minimize the inconveniences for our customers, we will suspend the service until July 2 for eastbound flights and July 3 for westbound flights. We’ll continue to closely monitor this situation and remain in contact with U.S. government authorities and our international partners. We’re also reaching out directly to our customers booked on these flights to provide alternative travel options, including rebooking on other airlines or offering full refunds. We will continue to operate our nonstop flights from New York/Newark to Mumbai (BOM).

related thread -]UA 48/49 EWR BOM suspended due to "current events in Iran" 20 June 2019 until 1 Sept?
Print Wikipost

India/Pakistan 2019 conflict impacts UA to India,DEL suspended 5 Apr 19 until 5 Sept?

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
United has extended suspension of UA82/83 EWR-DEL to cover July. Previously the suspension was until 2nd July.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...-in-july-2019/

Likewise Air Canada has extended suspension of its YYZ-DEL service (on which UA code shares) to end August - https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...e-august-2019/
Old May 29, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller
United has extended suspension of UA82/83 EWR-DEL to cover July. Previously the suspension was until 2nd July.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...-in-july-2019/

Likewise Air Canada has extended suspension of its YYZ-DEL service (on which UA code shares) to end August - https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...e-august-2019/
I think it's probably headed there, but as of right now they have just *pulled inventory* for July. Current reservations are still intact and representatives simply say they are not taking new bookings but that UA82/83 as of this writing are still loaded in FLIFO. And the notification on .bomb still states the suspension is until July 2. So maybe they're hedging, so they don't have to accommodate any new bookings if they do decided to extend the suspension. Pakistan has extended the closure through mid-June (or more accurately the NOTAM, and could reopen before then), and it's possible UA will wait until then to decide whether to extend the suspension...Pakistan is losing a lot of revenue and now with the Indian general election over, the next two weeks could see some movement to reopen. It could also just be that they pulled inventory as a first step and the extended suspension is imminent too. The problem though, obviously, for those of us with existing July bookings is that the flights don't yet show canceled so agents won't rebook yet. Anyone with any further details feel free to correct me!
Dhamal likes this.

Last edited by PanAmOneTwo; May 29, 2019 at 2:43 pm
Old Jun 1, 2019, 3:11 pm

July 16th reservation from ewr-del is no longer visible under my trips on United site. Getting below message instead:
"This reservation has been canceled. To use any remaining value toward a future flight, please select the button below."

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 1, 2019 at 3:52 pm Reason: formatting
Old Jun 1, 2019, 11:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by PanAmOneTwo
I think it's probably headed there, but as of right now they have just *pulled inventory* for July. Current reservations are still intact and representatives simply say they are not taking new bookings but that UA82/83 as of this writing are still loaded in FLIFO. And the notification on .bomb still states the suspension is until July 2. So maybe they're hedging, so they don't have to accommodate any new bookings if they do decided to extend the suspension. Pakistan has extended the closure through mid-June (or more accurately the NOTAM, and could reopen before then), and it's possible UA will wait until then to decide whether to extend the suspension...Pakistan is losing a lot of revenue and now with the Indian general election over, the next two weeks could see some movement to reopen. It could also just be that they pulled inventory as a first step and the extended suspension is imminent too. The problem though, obviously, for those of us with existing July bookings is that the flights don't yet show canceled so agents won't rebook yet. Anyone with any further details feel free to correct me!
The suspension runs through July 31 eastbound and Aug 1 westbound - per my agency communication from UA, all affected reservations will be set for a "canceled" status and customers can either receive a refund or look for rebooking options for another date or possible alternate routing.

So, if you have a booking that involves travel to BOM during this period, look at your booking as it should be set to "canceled" - if you booked through a travel agent, everyone has been sent the appropriate instructions to handle your booking, otherwise for direct bookings with UA, you will need to call reservations.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by bocastephen

So, if you have a booking that involves travel to BOM during this period, look at your booking as it should be set to "canceled" - if you booked through a travel agent, everyone has been sent the appropriate instructions to handle your booking, otherwise for direct bookings with UA, you will need to call reservations.
I think you mean DEL. Non-stop flights to BOM are still operating as scheduled.
Dhamal likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PanAmOneTwo
Update: Although still not officially updated on .bomb, UA82/83 (DEL service) suspension extended until August 1 according to agents, and my formerly intact reservations in July show canceled as of yesterday. Agents will refund or try to reroute on Star partners.

Last edited by PanAmOneTwo; Jun 2, 2019 at 7:18 pm
Old Jun 2, 2019, 6:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
I think you mean DEL. Non-stop flights to BOM are still operating as scheduled.
Yes, DEL not BOM, sorry
Old Jun 3, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
Looks like things are finally opening up now:

https://www.thehindu.com/news/intern...le27406974.ece
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
Looks like things are finally opening up now:

https://www.thehindu.com/news/intern...le27406974.ece
Did EWR-DEL actually resume, or is it still offline?

As for SFO-DEL - I imagine the westward flight path means that they avoid Pakistan entirely, so it's not an issue?
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:47 pm

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Did EWR-DEL actually resume, or is it still offline?

As for SFO-DEL - I imagine the westward flight path means that they avoid Pakistan entirely, so it's not an issue?
Its still offline till Aug 1 for now but who knows if that will get pushed out further. With Iran and Pakistan both closed, its gonna get very interesting.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 4:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...il-1-sept.html for a different reason, it now has its own thread.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 22, 2019 at 1:16 pm Reason: title update
Old Jun 21, 2019, 5:38 pm

Both BOM & DEL flights are suspended until Sept 1st.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Is there anything official for the Sept date, I have searched and can't find anything

I am starting to get worried for my trip to DEL

Thanks
Old Jun 22, 2019, 1:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by whitethunder
Is there anything official for the Sept date, I have searched and can't find anything

I am starting to get worried for my trip to DEL ...
Yes
UA has posted it in Travel Notices

As a Travel Waiver 3
Customer option
Day of travel flexibility

What is waived

Change fee for dates specified
— same O & D

Difference in fare for dates specified
— same O & D

Change fee for all other users (difference in fare applies)

Option to refund if unused
Old Jun 22, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes
UA has posted it in Travel Notices

Ahh gotcha thanks

I did some dummy booking and yeah no EWR-DEL until Sept 1 (which has open PZ space FYI)

I just want to clarify there are 2 different issues right

1) pakistan airspace closure means no DEL flights,
2) iran closure means no BOM flights

So if Pakistan re-opened, would that mean at least the DEL flights could resume?? (I don't think their flight paths go over Iran right)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.