Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

India/Pakistan 2019 conflict impacts UA to India,DEL suspended 5 Apr 19 until 5 Sept?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tarheelnj
*** Email 7/30/19 - EWR-DEL/BOM nonstops resume September 6th.***

Posted 16 Juky 2019

Posted 15 July 2019

Posted 21 June 2019

Older Updates -- DEL "Cancellations" extended thru end of July 2019 (although Travel Alerts still refers to July 2)

Was "announced" in the Q1 earnings conference call today this would be extended to 2 July 2019, the data in "Travel waivers" has not been updated.
DEL service suspended until July
Due to seasonal winds and the continued closure of Pakistani airspace, we’re currently unable to operate our flights between New York/Newark (EWR) and New Delhi (DEL) while meeting crew flying time requirements. Beginning April 5, in order to minimize the inconveniences for our customers, we will suspend the service until July 2 for eastbound flights and July 3 for westbound flights. We’ll continue to closely monitor this situation and remain in contact with U.S. government authorities and our international partners. We’re also reaching out directly to our customers booked on these flights to provide alternative travel options, including rebooking on other airlines or offering full refunds. We will continue to operate our nonstop flights from New York/Newark to Mumbai (BOM).

related thread -]UA 48/49 EWR BOM suspended due to "current events in Iran" 20 June 2019 until 1 Sept?
Print Wikipost

India/Pakistan 2019 conflict impacts UA to India,DEL suspended 5 Apr 19 until 5 Sept?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2019, 6:48 pm

DEL suspension has been extended thru July 2nd & 3rd:

https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea....-cancellation/
Old Apr 17, 2019, 7:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
DEL suspension has been extended thru July 2nd & 3rd:

https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea....-cancellation/
While it was "announced" in the Q1 call today, the data in "Travel waivers " has not yet been updated.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: MP Gold, Hertz President's Circle, PC Platinum Elite, Marriott Gold
UA49 flying over both PAK and IRAN today

Originally Posted by PreMerger
Iran is closed again for UAL operations as the white house and the Iran government are having a name calling spat with eachother again. We closed it for security concerns until the dust settles.
Not sure as to what specifically caused the added tech stop this time around as we were able to operate non-stop for about a week with Iran closed, however it could be do to current headwinds and the flight time exceeding the duty limits on the west bound flights.

ajGoes likes this.

Last edited by ekchidiya; Apr 18, 2019 at 2:40 pm Reason: Updated image
Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:10 pm

Suspension details updated on United site also.

www.united.com/CMS/en-US/travel/news/Pages/travelnotices.aspx
Old Apr 26, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott (Plat Premier, LT Plat)
Has anyone impacted by the EWR-DEL-EWR flight(s) successfully claimed ORC? I am getting rerouted on LH and was wondering if i can claim ORC for LT miles, PQD etc.,
Old Apr 26, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by ua_sp_102366
Has anyone impacted by the EWR-DEL-EWR flight(s) successfully claimed ORC? I am getting rerouted on LH and was wondering if i can claim ORC for LT miles, PQD etc.,
ORC?

FYI, we just flew direct BOM-EWR and on the way out to immigration I spoke to the Captain when I noted that we flew directly over Tehran - he said the Captain of the flight decided on whether there was a danger or not - as compared to our originally scheduled flight a few days earlier, which stopped for fuel at Bangor - and they diverted away from Iran...
Old Apr 26, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Original Routing Credit for the purposes of calculating UA lifetime miles. I think a call or message into the MileagePlus Servicing Center after your flight is warranted - we get ORC in most other IRROPS situations.

There should not be any issues with overflying Iran if UA provides advance notice / files the flight plan accordingly with the respective authorities. It's when there is a last-minute change or deviation when an issue may arise. And then of course the State Department advises against overflying Iran because of situations where a flight may have to make an unscheduled landing in Iran.

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
ORC?

FYI, we just flew direct BOM-EWR and on the way out to immigration I spoke to the Captain when I noted that we flew directly over Tehran - he said the Captain of the flight decided on whether there was a danger or not - as compared to our originally scheduled flight a few days earlier, which stopped for fuel at Bangor - and they diverted away from Iran...
Originally Posted by ua_sp_102366
Old May 9, 2019, 7:58 pm

I am affected by this as my original flight was ORD-EWR-DEL on June 5. United called today and rerouted via BOM but what that means is I have to spend a night in the hotel on my own dime and I arrive in DEL 12 hours late as the last AI flight from BOM to DEL everyday leaves just as UA 48 is arriving.

i asked to be put on ORD-NRT-DEL which gets me in at the same time as original UA 82, and avoids the hotel and overnight. It also gets me lifetime flight miles on the longer UA segment which are still less than what I would have got on UA 82. The lady initially agreed but she had to check on something else with her supervisor and then came back with that ANA is not an option, only Lufthansa or Air India. On United.com the waiver says customers are routed on “alternate airlines” and does not specifically mention which ones. United is selling ticket for the ORD-DEL-NRT segment on its website so it is very much a valid routing.

Has anyone been able to get some better customer service help on this issue? I am booked in Business and even though the agents says they greatly value my loyalty and business, I did not get that feeling in trying to resolve this issue.
Old May 9, 2019, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Montreal
...On United.com the waiver says customers are routed on “alternate airlines” and does not specifically mention which ones. ...
But it is at United's discretion per the CoC -- the other alternative is refunding the ticket. Is the NRT routing the same "price?" -- if not it is understandable UA would prefer a rerouting mostly on their metal. It is not likely this DEL situation is on United's choosing or control.
Old May 9, 2019, 8:51 pm

Refund is allowed under waiver but if I book a new ticket from scratch three weeks out, prices have jumped. I specifically remember when I booked the original ticket early March, picking Lufthansa or Air Canada in the UA ‘mix’ was $550 cheaper than picking UA 82. But I still picked UA 82 as it gets me more LTM.

The NRT option is majority on UA metal except for the second shorter leg on ANA. They were even offering me AI all the way through, so “UA preferring a routing on UA Metal” is not true. The airspace situation is not under their control but crew flying time and cost/economics is under their control and UA made the decision on economics as well and not pursuing crew time waiver, as they state on their website. The agent also read the script stating the various reasons. She said something about seasonal winds as a factor which I did not understand. I am not sure why the Bombay flight is not impacted which is in the same vicinity
Old May 9, 2019, 9:09 pm

Refund is allowed under waiver but if I book a new ticket from scratch three weeks out, prices have jumped. I specifically remember when I booked the original ticket early March, picking Lufthansa or Air Canada in the UA ‘mix’ was $550 cheaper than picking UA 82. But I still picked UA 82 as it gets me more LTM. ...
and UA has to look at today's pricing because that will be what it will cost them

The NRT option is majority on UA metal except for the second shorter leg on ANA. ....
well, 2/3s UA, the ANA segment is still nearly 4,000 miles and close to 8 hours,

Overall the TPAC routing is 20+% longer than the TATL

They were even offering me AI all the way through, so “UA preferring a routing on UA Metal” is not true. The airspace situation is not under their control but crew flying time and cost/economics is under their control and UA made the decision on economics as well and not pursuing crew time waiver, as they state on their website. The agent also read the script stating the various reasons. She said something about seasonal winds as a factor which I did not understand. I am not sure why the Bombay flight is not impacted which is in the same vicinity
If UA does not budge, it is well within the CoC. Again it is their discretion and the supervisor probably looked at the numbers, did not like them and say no.

You can call and try again but all you can do is ask, it's UA's discretion on the options. Generally if they are not too different, UA will go with a customer proposed routing but in this case, for some reason, this supervisor said no.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 9, 2019 at 9:15 pm
Old May 10, 2019, 7:07 am

Programs: Co-Onepass, Delta-Useless Skymiles
Long as UA does not reroute to PEK, I can live with NRT
Old May 10, 2019, 7:19 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I think NH's NRT-DEL flight is not covered by the UA/NH TPAC JV, hence the reluctance to book the flight. Why not re-book ORD-FRA/MUC-DEL (which is covered by the LH/UA TATL JV) ask for ORC anyways since this is IRROPS?
Old May 10, 2019, 7:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
It also gets me lifetime flight miles on the longer UA segment which are still less than what I would have got on UA 82.
I'm just curious. In these instances does UA still give ORC?
Old May 10, 2019, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
I'm just curious. In these instances does UA still give ORC?
For advance schedule changes, generally no, but worth asking in this case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.