Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2017, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by sbm12
Last boarding group doesn't get to bring a bag on. Pretty easy setup for everyone....
Most of the folks in Group 5 MSP-DEN had a small personal item. Some had no carryon item at all. I didn't see any violators.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Originally Posted by idiosyncrasy
As someone already mentioned the only routes active right now are out of MSP, and anyone with a brain would probably be flying Delta anyway.
Not true anymore. I am seeing N fares for city pairs LAX/ORD, IAH/LAX, probably more on their way soon if not already there.

While it is true that most of us here will know to watch out for accidentally booking in N, it still bothers me to no end that I have to watch out. Just more PITA stuff that we don't need in life.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Basic economy was just made available for BWI-lax, it's $25 lower than a regular economy fare. Nothing from IAD yet.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 4:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fly18725
what more could United do to set expectations for BE fares - e.g. a second pop up, another check box, a bigger orange call out?
Don't offer them on anything above deep discount economy.

The idea that you could pay full walk up Y/B fare and wind up with BE is just insane.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Don't offer them on anything above deep discount economy.

The idea that you could pay full walk up Y/B fare and wind up with BE is just insane.
It is insane because it's not possible. There is a BE fare just below Y/B that would be for sale if all of the lower fare buckets were sold out. A passenger would have a clear choice at that point: save a few bucks for a non-refundable fare or pay the small differential to get greater flexibility (and mileage earnings).

It's not like United is tricking anyone into buying BE fares. It's about as clear as it could be.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 8:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is nothing to worry about unless you are semi-comatose, in which case you ought not to be booking your own travel.

Try a dummy booking MSP-DEN and you will see the BE option.

If you select that option, you receive a pop-up which shows what you do not get in BE and what the other economy fares do get. There is also a graphic with green check marks and red x's.

You must select a box which states "Basic Economy Works for Me". Only then are you passed through to the next screen.

For all the things which people screw up in booking travel, this is one where you can't complain if you book it.

If you choose to book through a third-party site or the folks you pay for your tickets such as your employer choose to do so and that third-party site is not so explicit, that is an issue between you and the site's owners or your employer and the site's owners.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
$600 for a basic eco one-way? They got to be joking. This is out of control. They should sell N when G is > 1 ... that's reasonable. What they are doing right now will backfire. So far my company is no showing N-fares ... once that starts it'll be fun.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
So far my company is not showing N-fares ... once that starts it'll be fun.
Why would it start? If they're not already appearing, it means that your company has made the (sensible, IMO) decision to filter them out. Keep in mind, for departures after 5/9, these fares are loaded into a large number of domestic non-stop markets. If you're not seeing them on searches now, I don't know why you'd expect to start seeing them in the future.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by cfischer
$600 for a basic eco one-way? They got to be joking. This is out of control. They should sell N when G is > 1 ... that's reasonable. What they are doing right now will backfire. So far my company is no showing N-fares ... once that starts it'll be fun.
The airlines have been charging ridiculous fares for all kinds of flights to/from various cities for years. Example: $700 one way for IAH-XNA a few years ago. Non-refundable. $10/minute to ride on an ERJ145. Same day IAH-FRA, $450. It has been a long time since fares made logical sense. Now, I don't like the basic economy concept either, but having insane fares is not new to the airline industry.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 11:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fly18725
There is a BE fare just below Y/B that would be for sale if all of the lower fare buckets were sold out. A passenger would have a clear choice at that point: save a few bucks for a non-refundable fare or pay the small differential to get greater flexibility (and mileage earnings).
Enough of this "customer choice" garbage. I understand that's the party line, but it's just nonsense. No one who's buying a full fare ticket wants a "choice" between BE and a regular fare to save $20. So why is UA offering it? (That's a rhetorical question, not really interested in your answer.)
Old Apr 29, 2017, 11:55 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by weezl
Not true anymore. I am seeing N fares for city pairs LAX/ORD, IAH/LAX, probably more on their way soon if not already there.
Just wanted to point out that I said active routes, those other routes are effective in May, but agree with your points.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Air Houston
The airlines have been charging ridiculous fares for all kinds of flights to/from various cities for years. Example: $700 one way for IAH-XNA a few years ago. Non-refundable. $10/minute to ride on an ERJ145. Same day IAH-FRA, $450. It has been a long time since fares made logical sense. Now, I don't like the basic economy concept either, but having insane fares is not new to the airline industry.
I am not complaining about the fare ... but I am complaining that there is no seat assignment, no luggage, no Elite benis no nothing ... when you pay that much. That is new ... and unacceptable IMO
Old Apr 30, 2017, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Enough of this "customer choice" garbage. I understand that's the party line, but it's just nonsense. No one who's buying a full fare ticket wants a "choice" between BE and a regular fare to save $20. So why is UA offering it? (That's a rhetorical question, not really interested in your answer.)
DL only offers BE fares for it's lowest three fare classes (T/X/V). AA seems to be similarly restrictive with their BE fares. So it looks like UA is an outlier here.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Air Houston
Same day FRA not much different than yesterday's cookies at 75% off. It's market price.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
Why would it start? If they're not already appearing, it means that your company has made the (sensible, IMO) decision to filter them out. Keep in mind, for departures after 5/9, these fares are loaded into a large number of domestic non-stop markets. If you're not seeing them on searches now, I don't know why you'd expect to start seeing them in the future.
Well some companies already do it, so even if you're not comatose, without the pop ups/warnings that .bomb might give you, it would be easy to miss before it's too late.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.