Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2017, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jsloan
Well, today is April 4, and the first BE flights are April 18...

Or are you saying that they've removed the BE fares from the table for non-AP base fares?
Nope, YAA0AFBN is still filed.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 2:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
Well, today is April 4, and the first BE flights are April 18...
Ah, I didn't realize that the 14 days correlated to the first date they are available.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 2:30 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by JBord
In my opinion, this is just a thinly veiled price increase, but no one can technically call it that, since airfare pricing is not very transparent, and on the surface it appears that it's a discount.
What we are seeing - a BE fare is available off all fare categories (only thing that is unclear is if it is only for 14 days out, we will know tomorrow ) - it is an across the board unbundling.

United's fares - what shows up in searches such as on Google - will not allow (a) seat selection (b) the ability to bring a carry on bag unless it fits under the seat (premier and CC members excepted), (c) no upgrades to F or E+ (d) no PQM/PQD or lifetime miles (e) "Ticket changes are not allowed. This includes advanced changes and same-day changes, even for Premier members. Fares are nonrefundable"

In BE markets United is now Spirit-light; trying to upsell a bundle of benefits for (in this market, in the above example) $30 RT. That United is doing this nickle and dime game on what are relatively expensive fares ($370 one way in an M in the example above) is just flabbergasting to me.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by minnyfly
There's a problem with your anecdotal experiences. You are not the typical Delta customer. Become a hub captive with them. Be a leisure passenger. You'll see E fares as commonplace, and they simply replaced the lowest fare levels, making every normal fare more expensive.

What UA is doing with their BE fares is very similar. The only difference I noticed at first was UA is trying for a larger price break, and in exchange you get even fewer perks.

The bottom line is this. Everything you're accusing UA of doing, DL did first. E fares on DL were nothing more than a way to increase revenue by creating more upsells. DL is the king of getting you to pay more for less. UA and AA have now copied it sadly.
I am the customer Delta (and so they say United) wants. I pay real money to fly.... But your claims are directly contrary to what is going on. As I showed, using the same 5/25 date another poster looked at, Delta is ONLY doing BE fares on flights with the lowest fare catigories, United is doing it on ALL flights in the market. Unless I get offered the $64 fare, I don't see BE on flights on DL, I just get regular Y. On UA I get BE on every fare, and then United tries to sell me a $15 upsell (or $5 on the $370 fare). Very, Very different both in what it represents (unbundling on all fares by UA) and how it looks and I think will feel to travelers.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by spin88
I am the customer Delta (and so they say United) wants. I pay real money to fly.... But your claims are directly contrary to what is going on. As I showed, using the same 5/25 date another poster looked at, Delta is ONLY doing BE fares on flights with the lowest fare catigories, United is doing it on ALL flights in the market. Unless I get offered the $64 fare, I don't see BE on flights on DL, I just get regular Y. On UA I get BE on every fare, and then United tries to sell me a $15 upsell (or $5 on the $370 fare). Very, Very different both in what it represents (unbundling on all fares by UA) and how it looks and I think will feel to travelers.
My claims are accurate. I've been shopping with DL's E fares commonly available for quite a while now. I think it's great that UA is allowing BE onto more fare classes. It creates more customer choices. It's frustrating to want to go as cheaply as possible on DL and having the E fare wiped out on all but the cheapest flights.

WN has lived for years with BS and Anytime fares almost identical. Finding two fares that UA clearly doesn't want to sell yet among dozens and dozens of flights isn't going to make a difference to anyone.

For another example of you complaining about something DL did first and is worse, you just mentioned that UA's BE fare will show up on Google searches. Uh, that was the case from day 1 with DL's E fares, except Google search doesn't let you know about it until you click the link to book it. Very annoying to think DL is the low or same price when it really isn't. One of my biggest gripes with BE is it ruins Google search.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
My claims are accurate. I've been shopping with DL's E fares commonly available for quite a while now. I think it's great that UA is allowing BE onto more fare classes. It creates more customer choices. It's frustrating to want to go as cheaply as possible on DL and having the E fare wiped out on all but the cheapest flights.

WN has lived for years with BS and Anytime fares almost identical. Finding two fares that UA clearly doesn't want to sell yet among dozens and dozens of flights isn't going to make a difference to anyone.

For another example of you complaining about something DL did first and is worse, you just mentioned that UA's BE fare will show up on Google searches. Uh, that was the case from day 1 with DL's E fares, except Google search doesn't let you know about it until you click the link to book it. Very annoying to think DL is the low or same price when it really isn't. One of my biggest gripes with BE is it ruins Google search.
I never see the point of using Google or Kayak to search flights, except to search all airlines at once. The fares 99% of the time are the same on the airlines' websites, and I would only purchase there. At least that way I would be able to avoid BE.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by jjmoore
I never see the point of using Google or Kayak to search flights, except to search all airlines at once. The fares 99% of the time are the same on the airlines' websites, and I would only purchase there. At least that way I would be able to avoid BE.
At some point google, etc will have to figure out how to address "BE fares", perhaps putting them into a separate fare category like some sites (Kayak for example) now do PE. In the above example, currently Google is displaying fares that are not BE for DL (the only BE is the $64 fare) vs. every single fare displayed for UA is BE, with an "upsell" required to Y. Any good site should make clear they are very different animals.

As to why? Well many (and I would say most) travelers are willing to look at multiple airlines, and one stop is always better. On a domestic leg (E.g. I have to go SFO-PHL-SFO in about three weeks) I will usually just look at the airline's web-sites, but that is because I know the networks well (so I look at DL, UA, and AA in this case). But most people don't know, so go to a third party site.

But as to fares on international flights, IMHE the airline web-sites are often more expensive. For example, we are going this week SFO-MUC-SFO. Had I just looked at UA.com I would have paid $500 more per ticket, and $400 more if I just looked at LH, but buying from a third party site (ticket as LH) I got the exact same routing, and saved $1600. The last place I would ever check first is UA.com
Old Apr 4, 2017, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/GS, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by findark
It's meaningless to choose a date at random, apply current inventory, and draw conclusions about market positioning. Carriers match fares much more closely than that, so you're almost certainly seeing tighter inventory on the UA flight.

Now, you might correctly say they're foolish to demand a higher fare, but I think you need to keep separate inventory management and fare filing. On a micro-scale they're handled by different algorithms and different people.

I picked another day at random.. and guess what? NK offers $40 one-ways and you know who the only carrier is to match them? UA (with an N fare). The rest of the day's flights are interspersed in a varying order.

The patently absurd thing UA is doing is selling N fares that are matched to high fares. They're simply not competing with NK or taking people home to visit grandma when they're selling an E or M basis. The market for those fares is simply not going to defect to a ULCC, and it's just an insult to the brand and optics to peddle an N fare up that high, especially for a $5 differential.
I fly ORD-MSP a lot, on my own money, so for a layman I am unusually attuned to what UA's pricing practices have been on this route.

In recent months there have often been G fares available for $38-$40 one-way, albeit only at undesirable times (e.g., 5:20am).

But now, it looks like the $40 fare is N, and they've raised the normal G where available to $55.

That supports the "BE is a pure rate hike" theory shared by many posters, FWIW.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 5:01 pm

Searching all airlines at once is the number 1 reason I do it. The 2nd is that Google Flights is so much easier to search with than the others. I'll go to the actual website when I want to book, but if I'm price shopping, my first stop is Google.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by spin88
At some point google, etc will have to figure out how to address "BE fares", perhaps putting them into a separate fare category like some sites (Kayak for example) now do PE.
I'm already getting annoyed at the lack of this on ITA. And the airlines don't have standardized booking codes which makes /f !bc=n or similar annoying.

Originally Posted by rowenb
I fly ORD-MSP a lot, on my own money, so for a layman I am unusually attuned to what UA's pricing practices have been on this route.

In recent months there have often been G fares available for $38-$40 one-way, albeit only at undesirable times (e.g., 5:20am).

But now, it looks like the $40 fare is N, and they've raised the normal G where available to $55.

That supports the "BE is a pure rate hike" theory shared by many posters, FWIW.
Actually, this isn't true for ORD. Obviously it's hard to say once you get away from the transition date. But NK seems to be driving the basement fares, and the matches are now Basic Economy. But they are a full match, which is more or less the "good case" use for BE.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/GS, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Well, if and when I see a G fare in the $35-40 range, presumably with an accompanying N fare in the $20-25 range, I'll be sure to post about it. Until then, I'll continue to believe that UA has raised their de facto floor for non-BE pricing on MSP-ORD from ~$40 to ~$55.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
You can't buy a ticket on Google flights. When you click "book it", it takes you to the airline's website. That's been my experience every time I've used it.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

spin88 is correct and UA is doing it very differently than DL. It's pretty clear you don't understand what he is saying. DL only sells BE fares with an X, V basis from what I've seen and they almost all have advance purchase requirements as well as min stay/RT purchase depending on markets. Once you get into the LUT and higher fare classes, either due to close-in purchase, lack of X/V inventory, not meeting min stay, etc. there are no BE fares and only Main Cabin fares on DL. In many cases, DL BE fares are not seen by business travelers because they buy shorter notice, buy one-way's, etc. UA is different in that they have BE fares corresponding to the higher fare classes and not just lowest two classes. DL does this with C+ fares, but not with BE fares.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by LBJ
spin88 is correct and UA is doing it very differently than DL. It's pretty clear you don't understand what he is saying. DL only sells BE fares with an X, V basis from what I've seen and they almost all have advance purchase requirements as well as min stay/RT purchase depending on markets. Once you get into the LUT and higher fare classes, either due to close-in purchase, lack of X/V inventory, not meeting min stay, etc. there are no BE fares and only Main Cabin fares on DL. In many cases, DL BE fares are not seen by business travelers because they buy shorter notice, buy one-way's, etc. UA is different in that they have BE fares corresponding to the higher fare classes and not just lowest two classes. DL does this with C+ fares, but not with BE fares.
Spin's initial complaint and erroneous charge was that UA was only using BE as a "bait-and-switch" up-charge mechanism, and that DL did not do that. That is simply wrong. DL's E fare is used for the exact same purpose, and it has been since day 1 (I've been affected by since the beginning). The only significant differences I see between the two, which I mention, is that in this test period UA is initially using them on more fares (a good thing for consumers), and has a different fare difference/lost amenities model. The reason behind their creation is the same for both airlines.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 7:52 am
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Spin's initial complaint and erroneous charge was that UA was only using BE as a "bait-and-switch" up-charge mechanism, and that DL did not do that. That is simply wrong. DL's E fare is used for the exact same purpose, and it has been since day 1 (I've been affected by since the beginning). The only significant differences I see between the two, which I mention, is that in this test period UA is initially using them on more fares (a good thing for consumers), and has a different fare difference/lost amenities model. The reason behind their creation is the same for both airlines.
I think one of you guys (spin88/minnyfly) pointed out something early in this argument that's fairly important: how the two (UA/DL) programs appear to you depends on what kind of customer you are. If you are a DL hub captive booking leisure fares, then they look pretty much the same -- no matter whether you look at UA or DL, you see BE fares priced slightly below full-benefits fares, and if you are savvy, you understand that this gives you a choice whether to unbundle or not. (If you aren't savvy, it might appear to be a bait-and-switch, but we're all savvy so this is conjecture about other people).

On the other hand, if you're a business traveler booking 15 days out, then (probably) the programs look very different:
1. Looking at DL, you only see regular economy fares; no sign of BE.
2. United is still offering BE slightly below the (relatively high) regular economy fare.

Whether you see the existence of either carrier's BE fares as good/bad/indifferent really depends on your specific travel patterns. If you are booking with your own money (leisure or self-employed), then the availability of BE is generally good; it gives you options. You might not use them, but ... hey, freedom to choose! Now, UA also seems to have used this as an excuse for a price increase on the cheapest full-benefits fares, but that's a separate issue (though deceptive).

But if you're a business traveler on OPM, constrained to a corporate TA booking procedure, BE's existence stinks, because you may not have the freedom not to choose it. I'm in this category, and I really dislike the UA model because DL's model generally doesn't offer BE to me and I do not want to have it offered to me because then I might be forced to choose it. Fortunately, my corporate TA is blocking them, but this could change on a whim.

I agree that UA and DL are equally guilty of using this as a "bait-and-switch" -- it's not entirely bait-and-switch, since some people will choose to unbundle, but clearly the airlines want to upsell -- but by implementing the fare structure differently, they've chosen to market that product to different audiences.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.