Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2016, 12:10 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Well since Basic Economy has got the model of not having the right to even pay for anything, when UA will start charging for all beverages those on BE fares will not have the right to pay for one.

Just another example on how ridiculous the BE fare concept is.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Spirit investors would disagree. Though they do allow seat upgrades.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Well since Basic Economy has got the model of not having the right to even pay for anything, when UA will start charging for all beverages those on BE fares will not have the right to pay for one.

I wonder if this is actually UA wanting to give regular fare paying customers the first crack at window/aisle seats, E+ upgrades, etc., and these will be available to BE customers at check in. i.e., since you paid for an S fare instead of BE, we want to make sure you get a choice of the aisle seat before a BE is able to get access.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 9:11 am

Programs: 1 thousand

Except that the onboard payment systems are completely independent of the online booking system. So any fare and seating changes will have no influence whatsoever on buy-on-board purchases (unless they introduce advance meal purchasing - which would actually be quite a nice idea IMHO).
Old Dec 1, 2016, 9:28 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by televisor
Except that the onboard payment systems are completely independent of the online booking system. So any fare and seating changes will have no influence whatsoever on buy-on-board purchases (unless they introduce advance meal purchasing - which would actually be quite a nice idea IMHO).
Implement it! There would then be enough of the Asian noodle salads for everyone.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 11:32 am

Programs: united mileage plus
Can we assume that if a flight is ticketed before 2017 then it will not be considered basic economy? I'm asking because I might reserve a ticket to Asia that would likely be in k class. This would not be applied retroactively . . .would it??
Old Dec 1, 2016, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I would not worry about being retroactive. Almost none (I hesitate only as there could have been that one time) of their changes ever go back. Baggage fees, change to PQD requirements, RDM earnings...
Old Dec 1, 2016, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fdflys
Can we assume that if a flight is ticketed before 2017 then it will not be considered basic economy? I'm asking because I might reserve a ticket to Asia that would likely be in k class. This would not be applied retroactively . . .would it??
Basic economy is a decision made at the time of purchase, and will not be available until 1/1. No purchase you make in 2016, regardless of fare class, will be basic economy. You can book your flight with confidence. :-)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 3, 2016 at 4:41 pm Reason: removed response to deleted post
Old Dec 1, 2016, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by jsloan
You can book your flight with confidence. :-)
Or at least without added fear.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by aacharya
I would not worry about being retroactive. Almost none (I hesitate only as there could have been that one time) of their changes ever go back. Baggage fees, change to PQD requirements, RDM earnings...
At a minimum, the change provisions of BE would be illegal to make retroactive. There's pretty much no chance they'd do it for the others things either.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 2:27 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
The real question for me is how easy it will be to avoid Basic Economy fares. I have no problem with them existing… I just want to opt out. So my two areas of concern are:

- will it be possible to exclude it from searches easily? on UA.com and other engines?
- will it mean higher prices for regular economy or lower prices for basic economy? i.e. will I be paying more?

My biggest fear is accidentally buying a Basic Economy fare because it's not clearly labeled and disclaimed.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by helvetic
The real question for me is how easy it will be to avoid Basic Economy fares. I have no problem with them existing… I just want to opt out. So my two areas of concern are:

- will it be possible to exclude it from searches easily? on UA.com and other engines?
- will it mean higher prices for regular economy or lower prices for basic economy? i.e. will I be paying more?

My biggest fear is accidentally buying a Basic Economy fare because it's not clearly labeled and disclaimed.
I hope we can set our profiles to automatically block out these fares.

And I hope that United will enable a functionality to correct any mistakes in buying these fares so that if you notice down the line, you can opt to "fare up" to a normal fare.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...

I assume they will make the UI on UA.com similar to the one Delta uses. It's pretty hard to mistakenly buy the basic economy fare there. See the popup that appears upon selection that I posted to this thread a while ago. Or just try it.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA 1.5mm, *gold, AA - P, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by Often1
The discussion here is largely about enrolled corporate TA's administering corporate contracts which include volume discounts. Most of those TA's recomend and the customer (the employer) usually complies by using compliance software such as Concur.

Concur and similar software can be programmed in any way the employer wishes. When people say that "Concur won't let me...," what they mean is that their employer won't let them and has programmed Concur to block a function. Concur will allow one to book F, refundable tickets, or whatever. That is, unless it is set to block or to require a justification.

The DL introduction of BE meant that some employers fell behind the curve and those requiring the lowest fare may have forced employees into BE for a period of time until BE was pulled out of the mix. Hopefully, by the time UA's fares come online, that won't happen unless the employer really does mean to require their use.
Concur has a lot of options for an employer to restrict or block ability to book out of compliance choices, but it is more typical for it to present a set of fare options, then flag the level of compliance with company policy. As I posted earlier, I work for a cheap-azz company, but even they are not so cheap to enable booking DL's BE offering. Our company policy is we are free to book any fare as long as it is not more than $100 over the lowest listed fare. However, they sometimes show WN fares as available but don't flag my choice of a higher-priced option even if it exceeds $100, because WN is not a preferred carrier for the company. Even so, I often spend a lot of time manipulating Concur to have a particular flight I want to take conform with policy. (we can select to a 2 hour window, which often can be used to force out a much lower fare option I don't want to take..)

I have no problem doing this and forcing a higher fare from an ethical point of view, because I am actually saving the company money. I always book ahead before a full set of meeting are confirmed in an area, and I often, if not mostly, change the return flight home either adding a day or subtracting a day, which costs me nothing on UA, and would cost a small fortune on DL.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold

Yes, UA will clearly mark them, although I doubt they'll let you exclude them from searches on UA.com.

Many are doom and glooming the former, but I suspect it will be a mix of both.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.