Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2016, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mherdeg
I just volunteered to be denied boarding and was offered a flight which, when I looked at the protection record on my segment, was booked into "N". The relevant flight has inventory F0 Y1 B1 M1 E0 … N1 so I think the agent rebooked me from my booked class (W) into the lowest available class the system could sell (N).

Seems kind of wonky / insidious to be offered a dramatically lower fare class during an oversale, especially if it starts carrying special meaning!
I don't see N being available as last-seat fares as such once live. As we all now know, N = Y, and so the computer picks N anyways. If this happens post 1/17, I'd be massively surprised.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
(1) Is United going to use "N" fare class for basic economy?

(2) Is United going to rebook higher-fare-paying pax into "N" during irrops or other invol change situations?

I just volunteered to be denied boarding and was offered a flight which, when I looked at the protection record on my segment, was booked into "N". The relevant flight has inventory F0 Y1 B1 M1 E0 … N1 so I think the agent rebooked me from my booked class (W) into the lowest available class the system could sell (N).

Seems kind of wonky / insidious to be offered a dramatically lower fare class during an oversale, especially if it starts carrying special meaning!
It's a good question. General belief is that N will be Basic Economy. It's definitely a bug that the computer will do a rebook into N (especially when it allows an SDC from G to Y1 B0 N1). The Basic Economy part should be encoded in the fare rules rather than the booking class, but that's definitely a red flag to be aware of. I'm skeptical the rebooking issue will be fixed in a timely manner.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Other have reported this also, at the present N is an unsold fare class BUT there are still tickets that were sold in N fare in the past year .. So for now this is just a system anomaly.
Very rare for N fares to published valid for travel more than 3 months from ticketing. I'd be willing to take a bet that all coupons issued in N were flown months ago.

Originally Posted by aacharya
I don't see N being available as last-seat fares as such once live. As we all now know, N = Y, and so the computer picks N anyways. If this happens post 1/17, I'd be massively surprised.
That's the big question. For a while N was floating ~= W, and then it started tracked Y (with the occasional, rather remarkable F1 A0 Y1 B1 M0 N2).
Old Nov 20, 2016, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
No, it isn't. That is false. UA executives said the opposite: that BE fares would be below existing economy fares. Many in this thread believe they were lying, but that's still no excuse to invent a quotation out of thin air.
I purchased multiple N fare tickets a few months ago at $44 each way between LAX and IAH. Doubt if united is gonna go lower!!
I think they will just make those fares BE
Old Nov 20, 2016, 4:45 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Bruin1K
I purchased multiple N fare tickets a few months ago at $44 each way between LAX and IAH. Doubt if united is gonna go lower!!

$58 one way SLC - ORD on Tuesday , not sure how much lower they can go ????
Old Nov 20, 2016, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Premier Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Is there any chart for what fare buckets these will book into so that those of us who have a choice can avoid it ?
Old Nov 20, 2016, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Jet'Dillo
Is there any chart for what fare buckets these will book into so that those of us who have a choice can avoid it ?
It has not been announced, but the general speculation is that they will use the fare class N.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by c2cflyer
I guess the question is, are they simply introducing a brand new fare class at the bottom rung - and not changing anything else - or are they going to slowly 're-classify' the majority of non-refundable economy fares as 'basic' and basically force loyal flyers off their product since they don't offer miles for them anymore
With fares always in flux, I doubt there will be any "not changing anything else".

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
So here's my version of the most-unfortunate scenario. Suppose you have a trip coming up, TCON maybe, 4 months out. UA displays some really favorable BE fares, maybe less than half anything else. So you bite and buy the BE fare. Later, fares come way down for regular buckets... and you have no way of buying your way out of h***. That would suck.
You can choose not to buy a fare so far in advance.

Originally Posted by vanillabean
I would imagine that United credit card holders are likely to keep most of their status including their boarding group, bring a carry-on bag for free and are guaranteed to sit together with their party. What do you think?
Yes, yes, no.

Originally Posted by wolf72
Do airlines really, really need this basic economy?
Without it's difficult to compete with the ULCCs.

(1) Is United going to use "N" fare class for basic economy?

(2) Is United going to rebook higher-fare-paying pax into "N" during irrops or other invol change situations?
1) Looks like it.

2) Likely not systemically.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
United BE is far worse than DL BE. Look for AA BE to be similar to DL BE. DL BE allows MQMs, life time miles and no restriction on carry on bags - restrictions are no advance seat assignments and no upgrades or standby.

United is getting more bad publicity than DL. Why cant they simply copy DL, like they do every time, instead of making it worse.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I don't like Basic Economy but think it makes good business sense. I think United should offer lifetime miles on these fares, but that's my only qualm with the offering.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 8:46 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by Bruin1K
Originally Posted by Lani1
$58 one way SLC - ORD on Tuesday , not sure how much lower they can go ????
Those are exactly the sort of offerings I'd expect to go BE. UA wouldn't be offering those fares unless they thought they really had to, to attract a customer that is entirely price-driven and on a route they don't feel they can afford to lose that customer.

If I were United, sure, I'd be trying to figure out a way to match those fares without giving away the farm. Basically try to match service for service, and stripping away elite benefits is part of that.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Jet'Dillo
I don't think you'll have to go by fare class - most travelers are oblivious to what the letters mean. When you do a fare search, say for a domestic flight, my guess is you'll get 4 fares displaying instead of the three current ones: Economy (Basic), Economy, Economy (Flexible), First.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Ambassador""
Unhappy

Originally Posted by nycflyer222
Additionally, which I've already seen at gates when families book tickets with no advance seat assignments left, they will complain and scream at the gate that they're not together... and other customers will be asked to move.
Yes--and without the FA's as middlemen trying to broker deals it will be curious to see if civility breaks down...or if E+ or E pax end up with a now detached and unsupervised/scared 3-year old sitting next to them.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wolf72
Do airlines really, really need this basic economy?

Why is it, it seems to me, american airliners keep coming out with products that actually anger/enrage passengers than they do excite passengers?

You don't see this happen with other airlines around the world unless it's easy jet.
Umm..really?

Ever flown within Europe? For the most part, even on legacies like BA and LH, no seat assignments in advance - even if you want to pay for them on intra-EU. I flew on IB proabably 3 years ago on LHR-MAD, and remember when US was highly critisized (and rightly so, IME), for charging for all beverages, even water? IB was doing that (and they didn't turn on the AVOD on the return flight on a 340.

Shall I continue? On LH long-haul, you have to pay for advance seat assignments in any economy class less then V (and yes, I just did this for both my wife and I, booked in W -
Ouch). Some lower fares, including TAtL ex-EU don't allow any changes at all, not even for a fee. Then there's the LH lite fares that don't allow baggage.

Looking for an example closer to home? AC debuted their Tango fares in the late 90s - maybe '97 or '98. The parameters have changed a bit, but at the time, these fares included no seat assignment (still the case today), and only earned 25% RDM/PQM.

Back in other places, lots don't allow mileage accrual unless you have a fairly high fare class.

Yes, US carriers can infuriate passengers, but make no mistake, lots of other carriers do this as well. That's not just a US thing.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by 1353513636
Why would anyone choose UA if WN gives 2 free checked bags a 1 free carry on and UA gives nothing if they're the same price?
Bingo - I've switched most of my travel to WN. I'm old enough to remember when WN offered the "grin and bear it" experience, and United was a valued brand. Now the roles have reversed, and this BE move is only going to accelerate that trend.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 10:33 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BeanTownBoy
Yes--and without the FA's as middlemen trying to broker deals it will be curious to see if civility breaks down...or if E+ or E pax end up with a now detached and unsupervised/scared 3-year old sitting next to them.
UA is required to put kids under 13 with at least 1 parent. This will not be a problem.

Originally Posted by hyho61
United BE is far worse than DL BE. Look for AA BE to be similar to DL BE. DL BE allows MQMs, life time miles and no restriction on carry on bags - restrictions are no advance seat assignments and no upgrades or standby.

United is getting more bad publicity than DL. Why cant they simply copy DL, like they do every time, instead of making it worse.
To be honest, I'm actually quite pleased with the carryon bag innovation. I think operationally, it'll help UA achieve D0 on more flights in the medium term, and on a personal level, it'll be nice not to have to gate check on tight connections anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.