Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Amex Plat, UA Club Card, National EE, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
I booked a domestic award ticket from my account (1K) for a family friend, non-member. I don't remember picking seats, they were assigned e+ aisle seats. Is this an unadvertised benefit? Or, will United run a sweep and put them in a regular Economy seat.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 6:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by hokiebuy
they were assigned e+ aisle seats. Is this an unadvertised benefit?
More like a bug.

Or, will United run a sweep and put them in a regular Economy seat.
There's a good chance, particularly if there are any changes to the flight or the equipment.
hokiebuy likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Amex Plat, UA Club Card, National EE, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
baggage allowance

IAD - EWR - DEL
United Silver
IAD-EWR is single cabin economy
EWR - DEL is Business

Will United honor 3 checked bags at IAD? Or, will they request payment for 3rd bag?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:09 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
IAD - EWR - DEL
United Silver
IAD-EWR is single cabin economy
EWR - DEL is Business

Will United honor 3 checked bags at IAD? Or, will they request payment for 3rd bag?
3 @70lbs
Old Jan 12, 2019, 1:48 pm

Is the RED color statement true about United's Mileage Plus program?

"United typically extend elite benefits as a courtesy for the remainder of the qualification year,beginning soon after you first meet the requirements.As an example, Lisa earned United Premier Silver status during the 2015 qualification year. She was then given complimentary Silver status for the rest of 2015, but she’ll get to enjoy that status through the 2016 membership year, which actually ends on January 31st, 2017. If you earn elite status during the 2016 qualification year, it will be valid until the beginning of 2018"
Old Jan 12, 2019, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by UAFAM
Is the RED color statement true about United's Mileage Plus program?

"United typically extend elite benefits as a courtesy for the remainder of the qualification year,beginning soon after you first meet the requirements.As an example, Lisa earned United Premier Silver status during the 2015 qualification year. She was then given complimentary Silver status for the rest of 2015, but she’ll get to enjoy that status through the 2016 membership year, which actually ends on January 31st, 2017. If you earn elite status during the 2016 qualification year, it will be valid until the beginning of 2018"
Yes. If you earn one of the elite levels this year (2019), you will enjoy elite benefits this year, all of 2020, and through January 2021.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:18 pm

If there is Irrops and no other good options are available, can agents ignore minimum connection time rules during rebooking? Assuming the available time is reasonably close to the published MCT (10 minutes or so).
Old Jan 12, 2019, 3:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sincx
If there is Irrops and no other good options are available, can agents ignore minimum connection time rules during rebooking? Assuming the available time is reasonably close to the published MCT (10 minutes or so).
Very much doubt that as the computer enforces MCT -- perhaps some level of supervisor could override, but very much doubt there would be interest in pursuing such an option. IME, most MCT are very optimistic in the first place and booking shorter is just asking for a future problem.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Very much doubt that as the computer enforces MCT -- perhaps some level of supervisor could override, but very much doubt there would be interest in pursuing such an option. IME, most MCT are very optimistic in the first place and booking shorter is just asking for a future problem.
Yes but imagine you're at a tiny outstation or overseas location and would accept basically any itinerary that gets you to a domestic hub, even if you have a decent chance of misconnecting at that hub.

If BRU-ORD cancels and I can get BRU-EWR-ORD with MCT minus 5 minutes at EWR, I'd push hard for that flight over a two-connection itinerary or staying overnight in BRU.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: *A "Top 1000 2015", FB Lifetime Plat.; BA Silver; Ma; Hilton Diamond.rriott Gold
large mismatch between expert mode availability and seat map

Usually when I research flights which might have future PZ availability the number of free seats in biz is approximately equal to the number of seats free in the biz seatmap -- the latter is of course usually a bit bigger because of a few people who haven't reserved a seat yet. But now I'm seeing a huge mismatch. E.g. UA901 SFO-LHR on Feb 3 shows J5, but 42 free seats in the seat map. I'm seeing this on most flights back to the UK on Feb 3. Can anyone explain this? I'm just searching individual segments, so it's nothing to do with multiple leg itineraries. Thanks!
Old Jan 13, 2019, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Could be a large group booking, none of whom have assigned seats.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Leedsflyer
Usually when I research flights which might have future PZ availability the number of free seats in biz is approximately equal to the number of seats free in the biz seatmap -- the latter is of course usually a bit bigger because of a few people who haven't reserved a seat yet. But now I'm seeing a huge mismatch. E.g. UA901 SFO-LHR on Feb 3 shows J5, but 42 free seats in the seat map. I'm seeing this on most flights back to the UK on Feb 3. Can anyone explain this? I'm just searching individual segments, so it's nothing to do with multiple leg itineraries. Thanks!
It's booked 14 out of 48 seats. And the seat map shows 15 seats taken which is including the captain's rest seat.

And it's J9, C9, D9, Z7, P1....which indicates that UA thinks that they are going to sell those Business Class tickets.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Jan 13, 2019 at 12:22 pm Reason: Add comment
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
And it's J9, C9, D9, Z7, P1....which indicates that UA thinks that they are going to sell those Business Class tickets.
I think it would be more accurate to say "Currently, UA is willing to sell only one of those seats at a deeply discount price, and has not opened upgrade inventory." The inventory numbers don't tell us whether IM actually believes it will sell all the seats, as opposed to opening upgrade inventory at some point. They just tell us what the current inventory levels are. Plenty of flights go from Z0 P0 to PZ9 later in the sales cycle.

ETA: In my observation, over the past year or so, inventory levels have become much less valuable as indicators of future upgrade availability, as UA has been much stingier with the discount fares. Even with a wide open cabin, you will l frequently see Z0 P0. I assume their data tell them they make more money not discounting and holding out for the higher priced sales.

Last edited by Kacee; Jan 13, 2019 at 2:49 pm
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Leedsflyer
E.g. UA901 SFO-LHR on Feb 3 shows J5!
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
And it's J9
Are you two looking at the same flight?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by threeoh
Are you two looking at the same flight?
I see J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z7 ZN7 P1 PN0 PZ0 for UA901 on Feb. 3. Could be that Leedsflyer saw a temporary inventory glitch that's been fixed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.