Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by flyguy6
PHX-SFO-LIH. Can that happen if it is all domestic? I sure hope not. That would be a horrible start to our vacation!
Can happen too all domestic. My wife got it on a trip to LGA last year. Luckily, we were on different PNRs and I did not get the SSSS. It's just a random event as she's TSA PRE usually.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by SLINKYTRAVEL

sorry about that and thanks for the response. It is actually NYC to JRO one way and the departure dates are June 15,16, 17 or 18th.
If you are originally meaning upgrading an economy cash ticket on TK using UA miles you are looking for a Star Alliance Upgrade Award
Old Jan 6, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
My wife has the Chase Explorer Card and I have the Chase Club Card. If we redeem award tickets using her MP account and pay the taxes/fees with my Club card, will we receive my card's perks or hers? (2 bags checked free, Premier Access, etc)
Old Jan 6, 2019, 3:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JaysonW
My wife has the Chase Explorer Card and I have the Chase Club Card. If we redeem award tickets using her MP account and pay the taxes/fees with my Club card, will we receive my card's perks or hers? (2 bags checked free, Premier Access, etc)
Yes, this should qualify.
JaysonW likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 4:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by JaysonW
If we redeem award tickets using her MP account and pay the taxes/fees with my Club card, will we receive my card's perks or hers?
It should be based on the card used for payment, so it would be yours.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes, this should qualify.
It was an either/or question, not a yes/no.
jsloan and JaysonW like this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 5:04 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Originally Posted by SLINKYTRAVEL

sorry about that and thanks for the response. It is actually NYC to JRO one way and the departure dates are June 15,16, 17 or 18th.
If you're planning to book an original saver business award, for that period of time, united.com is only showing business saver available on 16 or 17 June and on Ethiopian or Ethiopian/Egyptair combos.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:41 pm

I booked an award business class LHR-LAX flight for July. It was standard award for 141K miles. Out of curiosity I just looked again and it's now 104K miles. If I want to get that lower price do I need to cancel the ticket and rebook and pay the redeposit fee? I have no status so, if it applies, it looks like the redeposit fee is $75. Paying $75 to get 37k miles back seems like an excellent deal.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
You should be able to call and change for the refund, but yes either way you should be charged $75.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:04 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by findark
You should be able to call and change for the refund, but yes either way you should be charged $75.
... unless it was booked recently enough that 24 hour cancellation applies
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Are tickets booked through the United Website for itineraries that end up completely on *A partners (e.g. in the case I am considering, LH) always issued on 016 ticket stock? After all these years I realized I had never booked a ticket via .bomb that didn't have at least one UA segment, and all of those tickets did end up on 016. Thanks.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:25 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by flymetokix
Are tickets booked through the United Website for itineraries that end up completely on *A partners (e.g. in the case I am considering, LH) always issued on 016 ticket stock?
Yes.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flymetokix
Are tickets booked through the United Website for itineraries that end up completely on *A partners (e.g. in the case I am considering, LH) always issued on 016 ticket stock? After all these years I realized I had never booked a ticket via .bomb that didn't have at least one UA segment, and all of those tickets did end up on 016. Thanks.
Tickets booked on United's website are always 016.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
A transcon flight more than three months away has no availability in Y other than flexible tix (Y1, YN1, N1; otherwise 0s for all other econ fare codes). P fare availability went from P2 to P1 without any seating being sold in J. In Y, all seats appear to be taken in E-.

How can this be?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Repooc17
P fare availability went from P2 to P1 without any seating being sold in J.
Unless you work for United and have a complete history or the flight, there is no way to know if this is true. The seat map is useless, as many people buy tickets without seat assignments. Alternately, Revenue Management can decide to adjust the fare buckets at any time - for example, a flight can easily go P0-P9-P0 in a short time as RM works their black magic.

Originally Posted by Repooc17
How can this be?
Are you asking how United can sell out a flight? Well, that's what airlines always strive to do.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Are you asking how United can sell out a flight? Well, that's what airlines always strive to do.
Haha!

Just surprised all E- seats are already fully occupied (and some E+ seats) so far in advance maybe reservations from large group? The cheapest Y ticket is now $1,944 one-way (flex).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.