Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
It is also worth noting, though, that "most awards are only available at T-330 and are promptly snapped up" is mostly a myth these days. Have a look, but don't expect that this is the only time to find awards.
Agreed, but if you see something you like, it's often best to grab it, lest it disappear while you're waiting for the other direction to become available.
FlyingHighlander and findark like this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes and no. There is a charge based upon your status and time to departure -- from $0 to $125. However, if you have any partner segments on your trip, it can be difficult to do this unless there's still inventory available for awards on all flights.
I'm fine with paying $ for any change. I want sure if I need to get points re-deposited before I can make a change (and risk losing new inventory while I wait). So if I pay any change fee, I can cancel one flight, and book another, as long as the points price is the same?
Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:02 am

If you're willing to forego the excursionist perk, and you expect to make changes to your flights (but not to cancel them entirely), book as one-ways. The downsides with one-ways are (a) no excursionist perk and (b) two change / cancellation fees instead of one. The upsides are that you can lock in inventory individually, as you find it, and that you don't have to worry about having partner segments on the reservation mess up a change.
Originally Posted by findark
It is also worth noting, though, that "most awards are only available at T-330 and are promptly snapped up" is mostly a myth these days. Have a look, but don't expect that this is the only time to find awards.
Agreed, but if you see something you like, it's often best to grab it, lest it disappear while you're waiting for the other direction to become available.
Thanks. I'm happy to stomach any change fees and forego the excursionist perk. I'm looking at flights from USA to Africa, so will likely book the first acceptable one ways i find. This is likely to be something with Ethiopan or South African Airlines.
If a more favorable routing/airline becomes available later I will change accordingly.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
So if I pay any change fee, I can cancel one flight, and book another, as long as the points price is the same?
Yes. However, I wouldn't use the word "cancel" when talking to an agent. Just say that you want to change the flights; the agent will charge you the change fee and charge (or refund) any difference in taxes.

Note that the routing you want generally has to be available from your origin to your destination. So, if you're flying from IAD-JNB, you can change to any flight that comes back on a IAD-JNB search. However, if you find availability on IAD-FRA, and on FRA-JNB, but it doesn't show up on an IAD-JNB search, you likely won't be able to stitch them together.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:25 am

Yes. However, I wouldn't use the word "cancel" when talking to an agent. Just say that you want to change the flights; the agent will charge you the change fee and charge (or refund) any difference in taxes.

Note that the routing you want generally has to be available from your origin to your destination. So, if you're flying from IAD-JNB, you can change to any flight that comes back on a IAD-JNB search. However, if you find availability on IAD-FRA, and on FRA-JNB, but it doesn't show up on an IAD-JNB search, you likely won't be able to stitch them together.
Understood. Thank you. It will be IAD-CPT I need outbound, and WDH-IAD inbound. I will buy a CPT-WDH flight for cash most likely.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:36 pm

Programs: DL DM, MAR gold
Purchased LGA-ORD-ASE-ORD-LGA and United changed to LGA-DEN-ASE-DEN-LGA. The night before our departure from Aspen, United cancelled our ASE-DEN segment. There were no good rebooking options, so we hired a car service to drive us at 6AM the four hours to Denver to our DEN-LGA flight. The agent said we will get reimbursed for the ASE-DEN segment but when I re-checked in the website says there would be no fare adjustment. I submitted a refund request. Any idea if a refund will go through or do I need to try other channels?
Old Jan 25, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA MP
Apologies if this was asked and answered elsewhere...
I don't understand how/why the United search engine returns flight options with seemingly the same fare class (R in the example below), but different pricing and different upgrade eligibilities with GPUs?!? (see first and fourth column below) - I should note that I searched for GPU-upgrade eligible fares; I thought all R fares are eligible in this regard?!)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 25, 2019 at 5:40 pm Reason: removed problematic image posting
Old Jan 25, 2019, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by redemann33
Apologies if this was asked and answered elsewhere...
I don't understand how/why the United search engine returns flight options with seemingly the same fare class (R in the example below), but different pricing and different upgrade eligibilities with GPUs?!? (see first and fourth column below) - I should note that I searched for GPU-upgrade eligible fares; I thought all R fares are eligible in this regard?!)
Something went wrong with your image, but assuming I know what you're talking about---on round trip or multi-city searches, you have to only click from the requested fare class column. The other columns may display your desired fare class for, e.g., the outbound, but then they will combine with a lower fare class to give a lower price (and not be upgrade eligible).

You should also always verify at the final page that the website has correctly given you your selected fare classes.

This functionality is unintuitive and error prone.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 25, 2019 at 6:01 pm Reason: split post
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
If I book a flight in the United app using United miles, but it’s operated by Lufthansa, will the 1K redeposit rules still apply? Basically can I cancel the reservation and get my miles back with no penalty?

Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66
If I book a flight in the United app using United miles, but it’s operated by Lufthansa, will the 1K redeposit rules still apply? Basically can I cancel the reservation and get my miles back with no penalty?

Yes.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66
Yes, if booked via united.com using UA MP miles.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 12:35 am

Will United leave a business class seat open on a long-haul flight like SFO-NRT if there's still a passenger on their upgrade list?
Old Jan 27, 2019, 1:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by tceeha
Will United leave a business class seat open on a long-haul flight like SFO-NRT if there's still a passenger on their upgrade list?
Only by mistake. The upgrade list should be processed until the cabin is full.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: UA PG, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Kacee
Only by mistake. The upgrade list should be processed until the cabin is full.
What's the situation when using a GPU on Lufthansa? Will they also upgrade if seats are available? Or only if the relevant fare calss is available?
Old Jan 27, 2019, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by thedon
What's the situation when using a GPU on Lufthansa? Will they also upgrade if seats are available? Or only if the relevant fare calss is available?
The guarantee is less firm, but most reports are that they will clear into last-seat at the gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.