Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Old Jan 6, 2019, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and weve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just cant find it or arent sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Old Jul 30, 2019, 11:01 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
Not in the short term. Based on recent history, it'll be months before any of them will fly for UA.
Very true ..... Seems like new to UA frames spend months in limbo while being. reconfigured and painted.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 6:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
I have a confirmed Polaris seat in a couple of days in a international 757. I'm pretty sure I got the last one as they aren't selling anymore, but I can't choose a seat. They are all blanked out though. I assume they have one or two blocked off for crew rest or weight and balance and will open up upon check in? I assume I won't be downgraded or something.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by saxman66
I have a confirmed Polaris seat in a couple of days in a international 757. I'm pretty sure I got the last one as they aren't selling anymore, but I can't choose a seat. They are all blanked out though. I assume they have one or two blocked off for crew rest or weight and balance and will open up upon check in? I assume I won't be downgraded or something.
Yes, if it's a domestic flight. The seats are 4AB.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 2:37 pm

I have a question on a strange ticketing situation, not sure if this is the right place to ask.

I was booking two biz saver tickets with United for me and my daughter, that had a layover en route to final destination with partner A. 70k per person (2 people). I then called a few days ago to switch myself and my daughter to a different flight that was direct and United only (no partner). There were only saver econ and not business, so I was going to book myself on non saver business and my daughter on saver econ (155 + 30 = 185k).

I checked last night and the CS rep booked both of us in business. We have a confirmation # and ticket # (the ticket receipt shows no seats though, but the United website has us both in business in assigned seats, and I see IN fares), but also a confirmation # with Partner A. On top of all this, I was charged only the original 140k points I used on the original flight (plus deposit/change fee I think). What happened? Did I luck into award seats while on the phone? How can I confirm United won't change my seats come flight time (the original saver economy seats are gone).

Very strange.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
Pretty sure the answer is no to this question, but thought I'd ask. Is there anyway to get the PQD, or PQM, out of a flight without actually flying it? I have a sub $200 RT non refundable ticket and I no longer need to fly the segments and at this point do not want to travel to the destination, but would at least like to get something out of the ticket. So short of a schedule change or travel waiver I assume I am just out the money correct?

Last edited by freeagent; Jul 31, 2019 at 9:20 pm
Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by freeagent
Is there anyway to get the PQD, or PQM out of flight without actually flying it.
No.

Originally Posted by freeagent
short of a schedule change or travel waiver I assume I am just out the money correct?
Correct.
freeagent likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 6:02 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I just found a very old Continental OnePass number belonging to someone in my family. Is it far past the expiration date that UA would merge lifetime miles balance?
Old Aug 3, 2019, 9:16 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I just found a very old Continental OnePass number belonging to someone in my family. Is it far past the expiration date that UA would merge lifetime miles balance?
No idea how far back you can go but see Merge MileagePlus Accounts
Old Aug 3, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: OWE, *Gold, STE+, Globalist, Titanium, Spire, Diamond
Probably my most unique inquiry on FT, but does anyone have information on the boarding music that was played on Guam-based aircraft for Continental, Continental Micronesia, and Cape Air dba United Express? The last I remember hearing was on a Cape Air flight between Guam and Saipan back in December of 2017. There was no video then due to lack of IFE, but back on Continental the overhead screens would play a video of marine life with the music. The only recording I could find online was this ten second snippet 0:30 to 0:40
Old Aug 6, 2019, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
If I book Basic Economy DUB-EWR-BGR am I allowed to take the trolley bag on the domestic leg? (No issues with it being gate checked for free on the domestic leg for space reasons, just don't want to be charged!)
Old Aug 6, 2019, 3:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sigma421
If I book Basic Economy DUB-EWR-BGR am I allowed to take the trolley bag on the domestic leg? (No issues with it being gate checked for free on the domestic leg for space reasons, just don't want to be charged!)
As TATL BE is different from domestic BE, the rules for the TATL BE will apply on the domestic leg (and you will not have an N/BE fare for either segment.

So in simpler words, you will be allowed a standard carryon bag and a personal item for both segments of DUB-EWR-BGR
Old Aug 6, 2019, 4:01 pm

Question about MileagePlus booking for another person

Hi,

Sorry if this is basic, but can't find a clear answer. It's a two-part question:
  1. If a 1K books a United award ticket for me using their own account, do the fees/charges on the account follow their schedule even if they are not flying? For example, does it follow their award redeposit fee schedule if we cancel the ticket before traveling?
  2. What about baggage charges? Does that follow their allowances or mine? And if mine, can I have the account holder pay with my United MileagePlus Explorer Chase card and get my credit card benefits as long as my MP # is on the ticket? I'll take either - just don't want to end up with neither and want to know what to expect.
Many thanks!
Old Aug 6, 2019, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by md125
If a 1K books a United award ticket for me using their own account, do the fees/charges on the account follow their schedule even if they are not flying? For example, does it follow their award redeposit fee schedule if we cancel the ticket before traveling?
Yes.

Originally Posted by md125
What about baggage charges? Does that follow their allowances or mine? And if mine, can I have the account holder pay with my United MileagePlus Explorer Chase card and get my credit card benefits as long as my MP # is on the ticket? I'll take either - just don't want to end up with neither and want to know what to expect.Many thanks!
Your allowances. Not entirely sure, but if your Explorer card is tendered for the fees it should waive baggage charges.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: United 1K, Globalist Hyatt, Plat Marriott
I'm 1K and struggling to get my PQMs for this year.

I am looking at a RT air new zealend flight from ORD-AUK-MEL in Premium Economy. The RT fare will be about $3,500 and the RT miles flown are 20K.

United site says that miles earn if i buy through united (016 ticket) are 11 x fare = 38K. If i buy through ANZ then it's 115% x miles = 23K. Are those PQM or just miles earned? If not PQM, how do i determine how many PQMs i'd earn?
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...w-zealand.html
Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mayday23
I'm 1K and struggling to get my PQMs for this year.

I am looking at a RT air new zealend flight from ORD-AUK-MEL in Premium Economy. The RT fare will be about $3,500 and the RT miles flown are 20K.

United site says that miles earn if i buy through united (016 ticket) are 11 x fare = 38K. If i buy through ANZ then it's 115% x miles = 23K. Are those PQM or just miles earned? If not PQM, how do i determine how many PQMs i'd earn?
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...w-zealand.html
They're miles earned, not PQM. (And, it's AKL, not AUK .

There's a section on the page you linked called Premier Status Qualification. That's where you'll find the PQM information.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.