Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by threeoh
Are you two looking at the same flight?
I was bored today and had to look at the information on Cablepick. Then when I saw the sold Business numbers there, I had to check what fares were available with the United Expert Mode. And then I misinterpreted what the numbers meant......

Last edited by StuckinITH; Jan 13, 2019 at 3:40 pm
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Kacee
Could be that Leedsflyer saw a temporary inventory glitch that's been fixed.
A bug in United's untested software on a weekend. How surprising.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:53 pm

This has probably been asked before, but is there a way to show the UA timetable for SFO<--->BWI flights for the foreseeable future? When I search the .bomb timetable, I can only get one day of results, and when I search BWI-->SFO, I am also getting random LAX/DEN/IAH/BOI (!)--->SFO flights without any BWI-->LAX/DEN/IAH/BOI legs.

UA has adjusted the timetable for UA2059/2063 (SFO<--->BWI) and is not running it certain, but sporadic, days, and I would like to be able to look up when it IS running.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:03 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by prometa
is there a way to show the UA timetable for SFO<--->BWI flights for the foreseeable future?
I would use matrix.itasoftware.com to see one month at a time.
prometa likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
ETA: In my observation, over the past year or so, inventory levels have become much less valuable as indicators of future upgrade availability, as UA has been much stingier with the discount fares. Even with a wide open cabin, you will l frequently see Z0 P0. I assume their data tell them they make more money not discounting and holding out for the higher priced sales.
Can't always say they're wrong though. Two years ago I would buy P on SFO-WAS and was thinking how the flights always filled and I would pay Z rates without a second thought... sure enough now they're asking for C fares, and getting them.

Obviously not applicable to all routes, and sometimes they are going too tight.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:06 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
Can't always say they're wrong though. Two years ago I would buy P on SFO-WAS and was thinking how the flights always filled and I would pay Z rates without a second thought... sure enough now they're asking for C fares, and getting them.

Obviously not applicable to all routes, and sometimes they are going too tight.
Agree. It's gotten harder to predict PZ opening because you can't tell whether tight inventory is based on (a) data suggesting strong bookings late, or (b) they just don't want to discount the route. A great example from the "upgrade chances" thread was UA869 booked 3/60 less than eight weeks out yet PN0 PZ0.

Last edited by Kacee; Jan 13, 2019 at 10:55 pm
Old Jan 14, 2019, 2:58 am

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
So bad - I just noticed all P fares with LH/ LX etc. will earn only 150% EQM of miles flown, rather than 200% EQM starting from 1/1/2019...
Why they are doing this! It becomes very difficult to become 1K again now...
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:53 am

Programs: *A "Top 1000 2015", FB Lifetime Plat.; BA Silver; Ma; Hilton Diamond.rriott Gold
I see J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z7 ZN7 P1 PN0 PZ0 for UA901 on Feb. 3. Could be that Leedsflyer saw a temporary inventory glitch that's been fixed.
Maybe: today it's J9...D1, which still differs quite a bit from the above. But I had checked a few times yesterday...so that supports the w/e IT glitch theory!

#nother data point: ORD-LHR on 3rd shows only J5, but 19 seats free in the seat map, which seems quite a large discrepancy unless the group booking theory applies..

Thanks to all for your replies.

Oh the joy of trying to guess which TATL flights might eventually have PZ availability! I think I'm going to try for the LAX flight which is J9 P1 currently and 28 unassigned seats.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:56 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
I'm booked on UA EWR-FCO 3/25 in coach with a $$+miles upgrade request, made at time of booking. When checking my reservation, there had been 3 tabs, EWR-FCO (coach), EWR-FCO (upgrade request) & FCO-EWR. Looking today, the upgrade request tab is missing, and checking my details, while it still shows the request has been entered, no upgrade seats are available, although the seat map still shows plenty of availability. I have not been notified by UA that my request is no longer available, nor had my miles or $$ fee been returned. I assume, there's still a chance of the upgrade, although now less so. Is this a correct assumption?

Checking today, it appears there is NO option to upgrade with $$+miles on either flight, only with cash; this despite seeing tons of BIz class availability. Hopefully this will change as we get closer ...?..

Last edited by mauld; Jan 15, 2019 at 7:45 am Reason: Add new comment
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Leedsflyer
Maybe: today it's J9...D1, which still differs quite a bit from the above. But I had checked a few times yesterday...so that supports the w/e IT glitch theory!

#nother data point: ORD-LHR on 3rd shows only J5, but 19 seats free in the seat map, which seems quite a large discrepancy unless the group booking theory applies..
Part of this is sales city related. From a US POS, I see J9 D9 Z6, but with a UK POS it is indeed J9 D1. I'm not sure what would cause them to actually block J inventory, but it could be a glitch.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:43 am

Hi everyone!

So I have a quick question.

Last edited by Rabailrana77; Jan 14, 2019 at 11:55 am Reason: I got the answer
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rabailrana77
So I have a quick question. My friend enrolled me in her enrolled friends benefit but we both can’t seem to figure out how I can log in to book my own flights. Like do I get a log in or does she have to book them for me?
Hello, and welcome to flyertalk!

By 'friends benefit', are you referring to non-revenue tickets ('buddy passes')? If so, flyertalk is not a good place for learning about those — best to ask questions directly to your sponsor friend.

You are, of course, welcome to discuss any other aspects of your travel here.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 2:20 pm

I have a round-trip flight from FAT to IAD with a layover in SFO. I originally booked a coach fare, but have been offered paid upgrades into business for about $300 each way on the SFO to IAD segments. If I decide to upgrade, do I get the other benefits of business class? (E.g. luggage allowance, priority check in, etc). The shorter FAT to SFO segments are not currently offering paid upgrades so I would be in economy for those (not that I would upgrade this 40 min flight anyways).
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by nock
If I decide to upgrade, do I get the other benefits of business class? (E.g. luggage allowance, priority check in, etc).
Yes. The only thing you may not get (depending on how the upgrade is processed) is the PQM bonus.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
Hi,

I'm flying SFO-YYZ and YYZ-IAD on one ticket, as separate segments on a multi-city trip.

The AC agent was able to check through my bag to IAD, and assured me that I don't need to pick them up for customs at YYZ.

Does that mean that there's an airside connector of some sort there (like NRT, for instance), or would I still have to go through Canadian customs, then preclear US Customs?

TIA!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.