Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2019]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by jsloan
I think if a GA spoke to me like that, my price would suddenly have doubled. Or more.
Or better yet, reneg on the offer at the last second and demand to board the flight forcing that lousy agent to have to board the plane to beg for someone else at a much higher price. Then raise your hand, and tell him/her "that's more like it".
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjmoore
Or better yet, reneg on the offer at the last second and demand to board the flight forcing that lousy agent to have to board the plane to beg for someone else at a much higher price.
I actually saw someone do that once (although they didn't get all the way onto the plane before agreeing to volunteer after all), and while it worked in my favor -- I also got the higher amount, because we had both volunteered -- it was definitely bush league.

Then again, so is the conduct that sexykitten7 reported, so I don't think I'd blame somebody for doing it in that situation.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL DM, UA 1K, MR PP
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Or better yet, reneg on the offer at the last second and demand to board the flight forcing that lousy agent to have to board the plane to beg for someone else at a much higher price. Then raise your hand, and tell him/her "that's more like it".
I almost did this last night in MCO. Needed one volunteer, and I had bid $800 in the app, so I approached the podium. GA took down my info and I waited to board, about halfway through boarding, she protected me on a later flight but said we would have to wait until the end.

Once everyone boarded, she said she needed my seat, and would print the voucher shortly. I said "for $800 right" and she laughed and said, "no, $500, we don't use bid numbers." I replied, "Okay, I'll stick with this flight then."

She called a supervisor over who told her to go to #2 on the list (although was fairly certain I was the only one who had been waiting to board), so she paged another PAX. I hadn't boarded yet so I thought about it, and then took the $500. When the other PAX got to the podium, the GA said, "sorry, there's no room for standby on this flight" - It was 100% a bluff, and she got me!

I was happy with the $500 ultimately, and I cant be mad at the bluff, because I was doing the same. Won't get me a second time though!
Old Aug 9, 2019, 1:32 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by scracer14
She called a supervisor over who told her to go to #2 on the list (although was fairly certain I was the only one who had been waiting to board), so she paged another PAX. I hadn't boarded yet so I thought about it, and then took the $500. When the other PAX got to the podium, the GA said, "sorry, there's no room for standby on this flight" - It was 100% a bluff, and she got me!
It all depends on how badly do you want to volunteer. If it were me, I would have insisted on my $800 because that was the dollar amount I bid for. If she did have a 2nd volunteer for $500, she would have:
1. By-passed you
2. As a courtesy, asking you if you would accept $500 because another passenger bid that amount
Old Aug 10, 2019, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat
It was 100% a bluff, and she got me!
OMG! In my situation, there were 4 people on the list. I was number 3. I was traveling LAX-BWI but managed to get them to rebook me onto LAX-ORD-DCA since I was headed to Falls Church, VA. The LAX-ORD flight left at around the same time as mine so they bumped me before boarding was complete (in fact, I don't think it had begun). So it was well worth the money to get in to a closer airport.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I almost did this last night in MCO. Needed one volunteer, and I had bid $800 in the app, so I approached the podium. GA took down my info and I waited to board, about halfway through boarding, she protected me on a later flight but said we would have to wait until the end.

Once everyone boarded, she said she needed my seat, and would print the voucher shortly. I said "for $800 right" and she laughed and said, "no, $500, we don't use bid numbers." I replied, "Okay, I'll stick with this flight then."

I was happy with the $500 ultimately, and I cant be mad at the bluff, because I was doing the same. Won't get me a second time though!
I'm fairly certain you were not bluffed at all. Anyone who checked in via the app (or even kiosk) and saw the offer to volunteer and did so would be on that list. There was almost definitely someone after you on the list. Now whether they were already boarded on the flight or not is a totally separate issue but whatever name the GA paged on the PA system was not made up (IMO). You could have held out for the $800 or had the GA go on board and find another volunteer for $500. Keep in mind you would have been stuck in whatever seat the person who ultimately took the bump vacated.

-RM
Old Aug 11, 2019, 1:39 am
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
Chance of VDB on my united flight (is there a separate thread for chance of VDB)

So my current flight is from nrt to sfo the flight currently looks like this Y -25 premium plus -16 and J has 5 open but... 20 seats are being held in premium plus and 18 in J so total flight is booked 348/350 AFTER all op/ups I am booked in Polaris is there any way they would take me to get off this flight for vouchers and if so do any of you guys know why they would hold 20 premium plus seats if they only have 4 more in the cabin the website only thinks there will be 3 no shows. Any replies is helpful
Old Aug 11, 2019, 3:44 am
Suspended

Chance of VDB on my flight

Chance of VDB on my united flight (is there a separate thread for chance of VDB).
So my current flight is from nrt to sfo the flight currently looks like this Y -25 premium plus -16 and J has 5 open but... 20 seats are being held in premium plus and 18 in J so total flight is booked 348/350 AFTER all op/ups I am booked in Polaris is there any way they would take me to get off this flight for vouchers and if so do any of you guys know why they would hold 20 premium plus seats if they only have 4 more in the cabin (it is booked before held 20/24). Would they rather have a coach passenger get off the flight then a Polaris customer? Any answers would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by united 1k flyer; Aug 11, 2019 at 3:46 am Reason: Spelling error
Old Aug 11, 2019, 6:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Is this flight later today or 350 days from now?

Bottom line is that predicting overbooking which might lead to oversale and thus the possibility of a VDB is not worthwhile more than a few hours out. Even then.

The chances that UA will VDB a J passenger so that it can OPUP a passenger from a lower cabin into the J seat are close to zero. They are, of course, there if the J cabin becomes oversold or there is a "must fly."
Old Aug 11, 2019, 7:00 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Did you get asked for a chance to volunteer when checking in? If not, I would think the chance is low/nil.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 7:26 am
Suspended

Sorry guys flight is on the 14th of August
Old Aug 11, 2019, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
.....So my current flight is from nrt to sfo the flight currently looks like this Y -25 premium plus -16 and J has 5 open but... 20 seats are being held in premium plus and 18 in J so total flight is booked 348/350 AFTER all op/ups ........
Math seems to be off by 1. Other than that, chances are flight will go out with many opups but few empty seats. Actually, it will likely go out full after nonrevs.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 3:40 pm
Suspended

So no hope

Originally Posted by TerryK
Math seems to be off by 1. Other than that, chances are flight will go out with many opups but few empty seats. Actually, it will likely go out full after nonrevs.
no chance of getting bumped then I imagine
Old Aug 11, 2019, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by united 1k flyer

no chance of getting bumped then I imagine
Probably not. Wednesday is also a quieter day to fly. But you never know.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by BThumme
Probably not. Wednesday is also a quieter day to fly. But you never know.
Not to mention that NRT is ANA's hub, and there are likely to be many missed connections onto the NRT-SFO United flight... it's pretty rare to see these long-haul int'l flights oversold. There is the occasional oversale in J as UA likes to overbook by 1 and everyone shows up in some instances.... It has been years since I've ever seen personally a long-haul int'l flight oversold and taking volunteers. I have to go all the way back to 2009 for my last VDB voucher of this sort.
jsloan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.