FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2019] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1948819-voluntary-denied-boarding-vdb-bump-experiences-ua-2019-a.html)

jjmoore Jan 2, 2019 9:15 pm

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2019]

Alright folks, time to open up the new thread. Please post any 2018 activity in last year's thread before it closes down.

Happy bumping and let it be a more lucrative year for us in 2019!!

iluv2fly Jan 3, 2019 3:10 am

I took the redeye back from LAS to ORD on January 1. After we took off, my seatmate started chatting a bit. After a few minutes, he told me that he was originally on the 230ish flight in Y and they asked for a volunteer on the plane to take the redeye in F and $2000. I thought I was hearing things at first. So I asked him again and he whips out the travel voucher they gave him and lo and behold it was for $2000! I asked him if he received food vouchers and he said that instead of them he asked and they gave him taxi vouchers to the Strip and back since the flight was nine hours later. He also said that there was one other person at the gate that they were processing as a VDB for that flight. Score! Happy New Year indeed!

PsiFighter37 Jan 3, 2019 5:09 am

My mom got $700 and was put up in an airport hotel to bump her LAX-EWR flight from 1/1 to 1/2. Don't know any of the details beyond that.

david_oz Jan 13, 2019 5:30 pm

So I’m at ORD this evening. While browsing my reservation in the United app before arriving, the app asked me to submit VDB offers for several connecting flights to TUL, my end destination.

All of these offers were for flights arriving tomorrow, which is too late for me. Nevertheless, I submitted some absurdly high offers anyway :)

but I did have a thought. There was one flight which would have got me to Tulsa approx 1 hour after my original schedule, but it involved a connecting flight via IAH, which would have left ORD before my originally scheduled flight. If I had the option I would have submitted $200-$300 for this vs the $950 I submitted for tomorrow’s flight.

Why doesnt UA offer flights with an earlier departure as well as the later departure? For example if they are overbooked by a ton, and they know 2 hours before the flight that nobody will misconnect they might be able to pick up some vdb offers at much lower cost. And if they don’t need to use it they’ve lost nothing by making it an option in the app.

prometa Jan 13, 2019 6:35 pm

Earlier in the week my BWI-ORD flight was over by 1, so I volunteered to bump to the next day direct BWI-->SFO. They ended up not needing me after 4 people failed to check-in, but the gate agent gave me a food voucher as thanks for volunteering. Turned out to be useful once I got to ORD and SFO implemented traffic management delaying the ORD--SFO leg by 90 minutes.

Flying Machine Jan 13, 2019 7:17 pm

Nice to see the voucher as a token of appreciation (First time I’ve heard of that)…

findark Jan 13, 2019 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by david_oz (Post 30650751)
Why doesnt UA offer flights with an earlier departure as well as the later departure? For example if they are overbooked by a ton, and they know 2 hours before the flight that nobody will misconnect they might be able to pick up some vdb offers at much lower cost. And if they don’t need to use it they’ve lost nothing by making it an option in the app.

They do. It's handled by phone and agents will proactively solicit pax who are willing to be rebooked ahead of time like that. UA's definition of "by a ton" is just a lot tighter, so it doesn't happen very often.

seanp7 Jan 14, 2019 6:23 am

Jan 14, 8:30am: EWR-CLE, Terminal A. 1 over.

Initial offer: $1200 (+ 2 meal vouchers and PM flight)
no takers
2nd offer: $2000 (ditto for everything else)

1 gentleman took it. ^

FlyngSvyr Jan 14, 2019 4:46 pm

Jan 14 IAH-ORD over by 2. I accepted $500 to get to ultimate destination 2 hours later. Also received 2x$20 meal vouchers. I was full from Lounge, so maxed the vouchers out on snack food for the office.

Side note: I SDC'd into this flight 2 hours before boarding & the seat map was full. When I checked in, received a boarding pass with "see agent" on it & immediate volunteer screen on the App. Flight was also not listed for sale on a revenue search. Must have been something wrong with UA's system to allow me to SDC onto this flight?? Also the 3rd VDB I have received over the last year on flights that I have SDC'd into.

prometa Jan 14, 2019 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr (Post 30654955)
Jan 14 IAH-ORD over by 2. I accepted $500 to get to ultimate destination 2 hours later. Also received 2x$20 meal vouchers. I was full from Lounge, so maxed the vouchers out on snack food for the office.

Side note: I SDC'd into this flight 2 hours before boarding & the seat map was full. When I checked in, received a boarding pass with "see agent" on it & immediate volunteer screen on the App. Flight was also not listed for sale on a revenue search. Must have been something wrong with UA's system to allow me to SDC onto this flight?? Also the 3rd VDB I have received over the last year on flights that I have SDC'd into.

What was your original booking class? Would be odd to allow you to SDC into, say, a T class fare on a sold out flight. On a Y class fare, perhaps they will allow an SDC overbook?

FlyngSvyr Jan 14, 2019 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by prometa (Post 30655221)
What was your original booking class? Would be odd to allow you to SDC into, say, a T class fare on a sold out flight. On a Y class fare, perhaps they will allow an SDC overbook?

L class was original fare. Like I said, I thought it was strange that the system allowed it, but jumped on it for a possible VDB. Maybe they were projecting some disconnects that never happened or some must flys were being added right about the time my SDC went thru?

PsiFighter37 Jan 21, 2019 12:43 pm

On UA503 today (SFO-EWR) - looking for 4 volunteers, starting at $1,000.

Just raised to $2,000 and people are racing forward to the desk now. Wow! All of the other alternatives for getting home are terrible and I need to be at work tomorrow...if there was something passable, I definitely would have grabbed that.

jjmoore Jan 21, 2019 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 (Post 30682599)
On UA503 today (SFO-EWR) - looking for 4 volunteers, starting at $1,000.

Just raised to $2,000 and people are racing forward to the desk now. Wow! All of the other alternatives for getting home are terrible and I need to be at work tomorrow...if there was something passable, I definitely would have grabbed that.

they took standbys on the next flight. looks like there were a few lucky ones today :D

PsiFighter37 Jan 21, 2019 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by jjmoore (Post 30683165)
they took standbys on the next flight. looks like there were a few lucky ones today :D

I had 1F on the 752...wouldn’t trade to be in the back and suffer in Y for the extra $$$ today. Maybe I’m too picky... :p

jjmoore Jan 22, 2019 5:35 am

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 (Post 30683950)

I had 1F on the 752...wouldn’t trade to be in the back and suffer in Y for the extra $$$ today. Maybe I’m too picky... :p

For $2000... that's getting pretty close to a take for me.... would be willing to watch a couple movies in a middle seat in Y for that or more. :D