Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2019]

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2019]

Old Aug 9, 19, 6:26 am
  #271  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: MCO
Programs: UA GS 1MM ★G | DL Silver | Marriott LT Ti | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre
Posts: 2,644
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
I think if a GA spoke to me like that, my price would suddenly have doubled. Or more.
Or better yet, reneg on the offer at the last second and demand to board the flight forcing that lousy agent to have to board the plane to beg for someone else at a much higher price. Then raise your hand, and tell him/her "that's more like it".
Aussienarelle likes this.
jjmoore is offline  
Old Aug 9, 19, 9:15 am
  #272  
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 9,921
Originally Posted by jjmoore View Post
Or better yet, reneg on the offer at the last second and demand to board the flight forcing that lousy agent to have to board the plane to beg for someone else at a much higher price.
I actually saw someone do that once (although they didn't get all the way onto the plane before agreeing to volunteer after all), and while it worked in my favor -- I also got the higher amount, because we had both volunteered -- it was definitely bush league.

Then again, so is the conduct that sexykitten7 reported, so I don't think I'd blame somebody for doing it in that situation.
jsloan is online now  
Old Aug 9, 19, 10:45 am
  #273  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: CLE
Programs: UA Gold, DL DM, UA 1K, MR PP
Posts: 317
Originally Posted by jjmoore View Post
Or better yet, reneg on the offer at the last second and demand to board the flight forcing that lousy agent to have to board the plane to beg for someone else at a much higher price. Then raise your hand, and tell him/her "that's more like it".
I almost did this last night in MCO. Needed one volunteer, and I had bid $800 in the app, so I approached the podium. GA took down my info and I waited to board, about halfway through boarding, she protected me on a later flight but said we would have to wait until the end.

Once everyone boarded, she said she needed my seat, and would print the voucher shortly. I said "for $800 right" and she laughed and said, "no, $500, we don't use bid numbers." I replied, "Okay, I'll stick with this flight then."

She called a supervisor over who told her to go to #2 on the list (although was fairly certain I was the only one who had been waiting to board), so she paged another PAX. I hadn't boarded yet so I thought about it, and then took the $500. When the other PAX got to the podium, the GA said, "sorry, there's no room for standby on this flight" - It was 100% a bluff, and she got me!

I was happy with the $500 ultimately, and I cant be mad at the bluff, because I was doing the same. Won't get me a second time though!
scracer14 is offline  
Old Aug 9, 19, 1:32 pm
  #274  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SFO
Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Posts: 4,979
Originally Posted by scracer14 View Post
She called a supervisor over who told her to go to #2 on the list (although was fairly certain I was the only one who had been waiting to board), so she paged another PAX. I hadn't boarded yet so I thought about it, and then took the $500. When the other PAX got to the podium, the GA said, "sorry, there's no room for standby on this flight" - It was 100% a bluff, and she got me!
It all depends on how badly do you want to volunteer. If it were me, I would have insisted on my $800 because that was the dollar amount I bid for. If she did have a 2nd volunteer for $500, she would have:
1. By-passed you
2. As a courtesy, asking you if you would accept $500 because another passenger bid that amount
1KChinito is offline  
Old Aug 10, 19, 5:31 pm
  #275  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: PWM
Programs: UA Silver
Posts: 844
Originally Posted by scracer14 View Post
It was 100% a bluff, and she got me!
OMG! In my situation, there were 4 people on the list. I was number 3. I was traveling LAX-BWI but managed to get them to rebook me onto LAX-ORD-DCA since I was headed to Falls Church, VA. The LAX-ORD flight left at around the same time as mine so they bumped me before boarding was complete (in fact, I don't think it had begun). So it was well worth the money to get in to a closer airport.
sexykitten7 is offline  
Old Aug 10, 19, 8:19 pm
  #276  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Floating around
Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott LT Titanium
Posts: 8,106
Originally Posted by scracer14 View Post
I almost did this last night in MCO. Needed one volunteer, and I had bid $800 in the app, so I approached the podium. GA took down my info and I waited to board, about halfway through boarding, she protected me on a later flight but said we would have to wait until the end.

Once everyone boarded, she said she needed my seat, and would print the voucher shortly. I said "for $800 right" and she laughed and said, "no, $500, we don't use bid numbers." I replied, "Okay, I'll stick with this flight then."

She called a supervisor over who told her to go to #2 on the list (although was fairly certain I was the only one who had been waiting to board), so she paged another PAX. I hadn't boarded yet so I thought about it, and then took the $500. When the other PAX got to the podium, the GA said, "sorry, there's no room for standby on this flight" - It was 100% a bluff, and she got me!

I was happy with the $500 ultimately, and I cant be mad at the bluff, because I was doing the same. Won't get me a second time though!
I'm fairly certain you were not bluffed at all. Anyone who checked in via the app (or even kiosk) and saw the offer to volunteer and did so would be on that list. There was almost definitely someone after you on the list. Now whether they were already boarded on the flight or not is a totally separate issue but whatever name the GA paged on the PA system was not made up (IMO). You could have held out for the $800 or had the GA go on board and find another volunteer for $500. Keep in mind you would have been stuck in whatever seat the person who ultimately took the bump vacated.

-RM
RobOnLI is offline  
Old Aug 11, 19, 1:39 am
  #277  
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 24
Chance of VDB on my united flight (is there a separate thread for chance of VDB)

So my current flight is from nrt to sfo the flight currently looks like this Y -25 premium plus -16 and J has 5 open but... 20 seats are being held in premium plus and 18 in J so total flight is booked 348/350 AFTER all op/ups I am booked in Polaris is there any way they would take me to get off this flight for vouchers and if so do any of you guys know why they would hold 20 premium plus seats if they only have 4 more in the cabin the website only thinks there will be 3 no shows. Any replies is helpful
united 1k flyer is online now  
Old Aug 11, 19, 3:44 am
  #278  
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 24
Chance of VDB on my flight

Chance of VDB on my united flight (is there a separate thread for chance of VDB).
So my current flight is from nrt to sfo the flight currently looks like this Y -25 premium plus -16 and J has 5 open but... 20 seats are being held in premium plus and 18 in J so total flight is booked 348/350 AFTER all op/ups I am booked in Polaris is there any way they would take me to get off this flight for vouchers and if so do any of you guys know why they would hold 20 premium plus seats if they only have 4 more in the cabin (it is booked before held 20/24). Would they rather have a coach passenger get off the flight then a Polaris customer? Any answers would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by united 1k flyer; Aug 11, 19 at 3:46 am Reason: Spelling error
united 1k flyer is online now  
Old Aug 11, 19, 6:59 am
  #279  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 42,396
Is this flight later today or 350 days from now?

Bottom line is that predicting overbooking which might lead to oversale and thus the possibility of a VDB is not worthwhile more than a few hours out. Even then.

The chances that UA will VDB a J passenger so that it can OPUP a passenger from a lower cabin into the J seat are close to zero. They are, of course, there if the J cabin becomes oversold or there is a "must fly."
Often1 is offline  
Old Aug 11, 19, 7:00 am
  #280  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: NYC (Primarily EWR)
Programs: UA 1K / *G; Le Club Accor Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Hertz PC
Posts: 6,344
Did you get asked for a chance to volunteer when checking in? If not, I would think the chance is low/nil.
PsiFighter37 is online now  
Old Aug 11, 19, 7:26 am
  #281  
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 24
Sorry guys flight is on the 14th of August
united 1k flyer is online now  
Old Aug 11, 19, 8:07 am
  #282  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: New York, NY, USA
Posts: 11,143
Originally Posted by united 1k flyer View Post
.....So my current flight is from nrt to sfo the flight currently looks like this Y -25 premium plus -16 and J has 5 open but... 20 seats are being held in premium plus and 18 in J so total flight is booked 348/350 AFTER all op/ups ........
Math seems to be off by 1. Other than that, chances are flight will go out with many opups but few empty seats. Actually, it will likely go out full after nonrevs.
TerryK is online now  
Old Aug 11, 19, 3:40 pm
  #283  
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 24
So no hope

Originally Posted by TerryK View Post
Math seems to be off by 1. Other than that, chances are flight will go out with many opups but few empty seats. Actually, it will likely go out full after nonrevs.
no chance of getting bumped then I imagine
united 1k flyer is online now  
Old Aug 11, 19, 8:41 pm
  #284  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: DTW/MBS/AZO
Programs: UA 1K,AA Plat, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Posts: 2,915
Originally Posted by united 1k flyer View Post

no chance of getting bumped then I imagine
Probably not. Wednesday is also a quieter day to fly. But you never know.
BThumme is offline  
Old Aug 12, 19, 11:29 am
  #285  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: MCO
Programs: UA GS 1MM ★G | DL Silver | Marriott LT Ti | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre
Posts: 2,644
Originally Posted by BThumme View Post
Probably not. Wednesday is also a quieter day to fly. But you never know.
Not to mention that NRT is ANA's hub, and there are likely to be many missed connections onto the NRT-SFO United flight... it's pretty rare to see these long-haul int'l flights oversold. There is the occasional oversale in J as UA likes to overbook by 1 and everyone shows up in some instances.... It has been years since I've ever seen personally a long-haul int'l flight oversold and taking volunteers. I have to go all the way back to 2009 for my last VDB voucher of this sort.
jsloan likes this.
jjmoore is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread