Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2019]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2019, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by BThumme
ORD-PWM was oversold this morning. Flight was something like 9am-noon. Only option app gave today was the next UA nonstop at like 9pm. Still, I put my name on the list, and once I got to the gate, I saw I was protected on ORD-EWR-PWM getting in at 3pm. When I asked what the compensation was, the GA mummered something about $300, she asked what I was looking for, so I mentioned the app offered me $550 as the lowest amount (which is true, albeit for a 10hr delay). She said let's just do $600.

So I got my first score of the year, as well as a $20 meal voucher. Only downside is I like to collect airline routes, and ORD-PWM would have been a new one for me.

I'll be using the voucher to take myself and fiancee to San Diego for my birthday

Also, I was given the option of my travel voucher being emailed, which I did (and received immediately). I know my last post I mentioned it for another guy, but is this a new trend? I've never had the option (although it's been like a year since I got a VDB). It's much nicer then getting the paper receipt.
Nice catch... hopefully this is the first of more to come for ya. Hopefully droughts end with floods.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: AA, UA
Does UA allow changing flights to nearby airports when rescheduling after VDB? Specifically, I am flying BOS-SFO-SBA at the end of labor day weekend and unless most people who bought BE paid for seats, it seems like potentially they will have to ask for VDB volunteers. If that is to be the case, would they let me rebook, BOS-LAX (no connecting SFO-SBA flights if I take a later BOS-SFO).

Last edited by daKav; Aug 7, 2019 at 1:52 pm
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by daKav
Does UA allow changing flights to nearby airports when rescheduling after VDB? Specifically, I am flying BOS-SFO-SBA at the end of labor day weekend and unless most people who bought BE paid for seats, it seems like potentially they will have to ask for VDB volunteers. If that is to be the case, would they let me rebook, BOS-LAX (no connecting SFO-SBA flights ), if I take a later BOS-SFO.
Yes, that is in the realm of possibility. However, it needs to be negotiated with the GA before you take your VDB and the "complication factor" will definitely influence who the GA wants to take.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by daKav
Does UA allow changing flights to nearby airports when rescheduling after VDB? Specifically, I am flying BOS-SFO-SBA at the end of labor day weekend and unless most people who bought BE paid for seats, it seems like potentially they will have to ask for VDB volunteers. If that is to be the case, would they let me rebook, BOS-LAX (no connecting SFO-SBA flights ), if I take a later BOS-SFO.
Yes, but you'll be expected to take care of your own transportation at LAX. Also, if you have checked a bag, there's a good chance It would end up at SBA.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA, UA
Originally Posted by findark
Yes, that is in the realm of possibility. However, it needs to be negotiated with the GA before you take your VDB and the "complication factor" will definitely influence who the GA wants to take.
Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes, but you'll be expected to take care of your own transportation at LAX. Also, if you have checked a bag, there's a good chance It would end up at SBA.
Thanks. Yes, LAX-SBA is easily drivable with a rental to make up for a good VDB compensation. Thanks for your replies.
jsloan and ajGoes like this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 12:12 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Interesting experience for VDB for a flight tomorrow. I need to arrive by a certain time but for a price would be willing to cut it finer. I put in $5,000 and it returned as an error. Maximum was $2,000. I input $2,000 knowing it is unlikely they will pay it nor would I take it, but for a higher amount may be willing.

However, what was of greater interest was the acknowledgement of the policies including the maximum amounts United needs to pay. Depending upon whether you get there within an hour or another time (2 hours?). The maximum that would be paid is 400% of the fare or $1,350 so my bid of $2,000 apparently exceeds the IDB(?) that needs to be paid.

So I think United is looking to set limits on VDB payments. I certainly am unlikely to accept VDBs on the terms they outlined in the notice. I an generally going somewhere for a reason and want to be there at a certain time. I guess as a 1K they are less likely to pull me from a flight than a lower tier elite for IDB but it seems a concerning trend (or perhaps I was just not aware of the previous limits).
Old Aug 8, 2019, 12:56 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
.... I guess as a 1K they are less likely to pull me from a flight than a lower tier elite for IDB .....
It is virtually impossible for an elite to be IDBed per UA policies. Only passengers with "special needs" have higher protection than elites against IDB. Those without seat assignments, then non-elites by reverse fare paid and time of check-in. If elites are ever IDB, they will be prioritized by reverse status. So there is no chance a 1K or any elite will be IDBed.
sexykitten7 and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 5:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Interesting experience for VDB for a flight tomorrow. I need to arrive by a certain time but for a price would be willing to cut it finer. I put in $5,000 and it returned as an error. Maximum was $2,000. I input $2,000 knowing it is unlikely they will pay it nor would I take it, but for a higher amount may be willing.

However, what was of greater interest was the acknowledgement of the policies including the maximum amounts United needs to pay. Depending upon whether you get there within an hour or another time (2 hours?). The maximum that would be paid is 400% of the fare or $1,350 so my bid of $2,000 apparently exceeds the IDB(?) that needs to be paid.

So I think United is looking to set limits on VDB payments. I certainly am unlikely to accept VDBs on the terms they outlined in the notice. I an generally going somewhere for a reason and want to be there at a certain time. I guess as a 1K they are less likely to pull me from a flight than a lower tier elite for IDB but it seems a concerning trend (or perhaps I was just not aware of the previous limits).
I just put the lowest limit amount offered down every time. It helps get me on the list and usually as a priority. When I get to the GA to check in with them, I usually play dumb (Oh, $300 for a 6 hour delay? I was hoping for shorter....could you do $X?) Really try to stress flexibility too. Usually getting on the list as a volunteer is more important then the amount. Just my experiences.
jjmoore likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

UA is happy to VDB for more than the IDB amount because VDB is ETCs (which have a high spoilage rate) and IDB is cash.
MSPeconomist and pmarrsouth like this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:42 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by findark
UA is happy to VDB for more than the IDB amount because VDB is ETCs (which have a high spoilage rate) and IDB is cash.
Also that IDBs [should] get reported to government agencies who may frown on such occurrences
MSPeconomist and jjmoore like this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:00 am

On 8/8/19 EWR to PDX. Over by 1.

$1000 etc to take same flight 24 hours later
jjmoore and CREN like this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
Also that IDBs [should] get reported to government agencies who may frown on such occurrences
Also IDBs yield an unhappy customer and bad media coverage, whereas VDBs tend to be happy and post glowing stories to their social media about how United "flew them to their vacation for free" or whatever.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:43 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
IDBs and VDBs are reported and are available from the DOT's monthly BTS Air Travel Consumer Reports
Old Aug 8, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA Plat
So I think United is looking to set limits on VDB payments.
I doubt UA is going to implement limits (aside from the existing 10k cap). They are probably trying to trick (or prime if you prefer) people into choosing reasonable figures. IIRC ETCs are accounted as 25% of the face value so your VDB bid did not exceed the IDB comp. Plus there are public perception benefits outlined above. I once had a GA tell me "you'll be getting in within an hour of the scheduled arrival so you should be happy to take $150" and he was certainly right (about the first part lol). That ETC ended up getting lost (he claimed it would be emailed) and the customer service agent who reissued it bumped it up to $200 without me asking
seanp7 and CREN like this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sexykitten7
I once had a GA tell me "you'll be getting in within an hour of the scheduled arrival so you should be happy to take $150" and he was certainly right (about the first part lol).
I think if a GA spoke to me like that, my price would suddenly have doubled. Or more.
Aussienarelle likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.