FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2019]
Old Aug 8, 2019, 5:51 am
BThumme

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Interesting experience for VDB for a flight tomorrow. I need to arrive by a certain time but for a price would be willing to cut it finer. I put in $5,000 and it returned as an error. Maximum was $2,000. I input $2,000 knowing it is unlikely they will pay it nor would I take it, but for a higher amount may be willing.

However, what was of greater interest was the acknowledgement of the policies including the maximum amounts United needs to pay. Depending upon whether you get there within an hour or another time (2 hours?). The maximum that would be paid is 400% of the fare or $1,350 so my bid of $2,000 apparently exceeds the IDB(?) that needs to be paid.

So I think United is looking to set limits on VDB payments. I certainly am unlikely to accept VDBs on the terms they outlined in the notice. I an generally going somewhere for a reason and want to be there at a certain time. I guess as a 1K they are less likely to pull me from a flight than a lower tier elite for IDB but it seems a concerning trend (or perhaps I was just not aware of the previous limits).
I just put the lowest limit amount offered down every time. It helps get me on the list and usually as a priority. When I get to the GA to check in with them, I usually play dumb (Oh, $300 for a 6 hour delay? I was hoping for shorter....could you do $X?) Really try to stress flexibility too. Usually getting on the list as a volunteer is more important then the amount. Just my experiences.