Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2019]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2019, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by BThumme
When you say selected, you mean you talked with the GA in advance of them calling out additional volunteers and confirming they would use you (if they needed you)?
Yes, sorry I wasn't clear. I checked with the GA before boarding began. She said the flight was oversold so she would likely need my seat, after confirming my bid amount and that a flight a few hours later would work. There is always the caveat that the seat may not be needed. I waited in the boarding area, where I heard the calls for another volunteer at increasingly higher compensation. Finally someone came forward at $2K. When I went to pick up my voucher, the GA explained that I would now also get $2K. No complaints from moi.
BThumme and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mehitabel
When I went to pick up my voucher, the GA explained that I would now also get $2K.
This has long been UA's policy; I'm glad they're not changing it.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
This has long been UA's policy; I'm glad they're not changing it.
So am I .
I've bid more often of late, when I fly SFO-EWR-SFO on weekends when my schedule is flexible. There are so many daily flights that the re-booking is typically just a few hours later. But there's also a lot of passenger churn on that route, so most times in the end volunteers aren't needed. This was my first time getting higher compensation specifically because an additional volunteer came forward at a higher price.
jsloan and jjmoore like this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by qisu
3/30 SFO-IAH #1204 1125pm departure. needed 1 volunteer, $700 voucher.
Over night stay and meal vouchers in addition to $700 monopoly money?
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by 1KChinito
UA 2377 is a later flight that departs around 1am most nights.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: UA gold; WN A; PC plat; Marriott Gold
I'm local so I didn't need the hotel accomodation. The gate agent did ask me if i'm local or needed hotel, so I think they would have provided lodging. You just reminded me that they didn't give me meal vouchers, doh.

There is another flight an hour later, but that was full as well - it's spring break in the bay area so many flights were full. I was rebooked to next day.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 8:36 pm

Hi! I have some use it or lose it voucher money, and I’m hoping to use it to get VDB travel voucher moolah. I’m thinking Easter weekend will give me my best chance at success. I’m starting at IAH but thinking IAH-DEN to a small regional airport such as Vail or Aspen may be a good choice. I’m brand new at this, so I figured I’d ask for advice from the pros here. Any suggestions to increase my chances? I’m open to other locations, too.

Thanks!
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by ShaShaSha
Hi! I have some use it or lose it voucher money, and I’m hoping to use it to get VDB travel voucher moolah. I’m thinking Easter weekend will give me my best chance at success. I’m starting at IAH but thinking IAH-DEN to a small regional airport such as Vail or Aspen may be a good choice. I’m brand new at this, so I figured I’d ask for advice from the pros here. Any suggestions to increase my chances? I’m open to other locations, too.

Thanks!
VDB's are too unpredictable to take this approach. Especially if you are thinking to try doing this from a hub like IAH, where missed connections are the norm, and with the new statistical models, very few flights go out oversold anymore.

If I were you, I would make a booking for a trip you really want to take before the voucher expires. You can literally use that voucher on the last day it's valid to book a trip 10 months away. That's what i would do.
jsloan, seanp7, zeer0 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 9:23 am

Thanks!
Welcome to FT. Since Dr. Dao's incident, UA is very good at not overbooking. As jjmoore mentioned, take a trip where you really want to go.

Often times, when you want to volunteer, UA does not need you. When UA needs you, you are not available.
ShaShaSha likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 3:48 pm

Welcome to FT. Since Dr. Dao's incident, UA is very good at not overbooking. As jjmoore mentioned, take a trip where you really want to go.

Often times, when you want to volunteer, UA does not need you. When UA needs you, you are not available.
Thank you, jjmoore and 1KChinito, for the sage advice. Probably a lot of wishful thinking on my part, ha! And you’re right, VDB will likely happen at a very inconvenient time. 😜
Old Apr 10, 2019, 5:13 pm

Thank you, jjmoore and 1KChinito, for the sage advice. Probably a lot of wishful thinking on my part, ha! And you’re right, VDB will likely happen at a very inconvenient time. ��
You are welcome. One thing you should do on every trip is asking gate agent if s/he needs a volunteer. Often times they say no, sometimes a CSR will take your name, just in case. You let gate agent know where you will be near gate. Sometimes gate agent will page you if s/he needs your seat and never make an announcement seeking a volunteer.

Good luck and have fun. These days UA offers much higher amount in monopoly money. Recent report has been $3K, 5K, 7K and 9K. When you receive 9K in monopoly money, then your next question will be how to spend it all and not wasting a penny before expiration date.
ShaShaSha likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:40 am

Hi everyone,

I am currently sitting at the Gate with my name and volunteered my seat. Next UA flight on this route with available seats is in 4hours. (I checked connections but they are even worse).
Obviously UA would prefer to put me on their own flight, but I was wondering if anyone has experience with Interline after a VDB? (DL and AA both have open seats much earlier, connection UA-DL at some regional airports also has a whole bunch of earlier seats, but that is probably too complicated...).

I am a 1K, which probably helps, but is there a policy against it or is it at GA discretion?
Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by STARAFlyingPenguins
Hi everyone,

I am currently sitting at the Gate with my name and volunteered my seat. Next UA flight on this route with available seats is in 4hours. (I checked connections but they are even worse).
Obviously UA would prefer to put me on their own flight, but I was wondering if anyone has experience with Interline after a VDB? (DL and AA both have open seats much earlier, connection UA-DL at some regional airports also has a whole bunch of earlier seats, but that is probably too complicated...).

I am a 1K, which probably helps, but is there a policy against it or is it at GA discretion?
It is at gate agent's discretion. If you insist on traveling on other airline, gate agent may pick someone else who agrees to wait 4 hours and fly on UA. It is also at your discretion as well if comes down to taking a VDB or not.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by STARAFlyingPenguins
I had a gate agent refuse to allow me to volunteer for an interline VDB that would have gotten me home the same night, preferring to take a volunteer that needed a hotel. She insisted (incorrectly) that interline VDBs couldn't be done.

If you're OK with the UA flight but would prefer the interline flight, I'd just volunteer, and then, if you're needed, say "Hey, I was checking other airlines, and I found..."
iluv2fly and Flying Machine like this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
I have been put on DL and AA after VDBing in the past....
jsloan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.