Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2019]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by kiloohm
Not yet, they will add the segment but you still have your original seat until they confirm it at the gate.
I don’t remember them adding the segment as a safety, despite pretty much always giving VDB bids. Fingers crossed.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: UA 1K; AC 50K; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
I don’t remember them adding the segment as a safety, despite pretty much always giving VDB bids. Fingers crossed.
They did exactly that to me this week. Ended up going from J to Y on the same flight with a $500 ETC.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
I've had protection segments added when they weren't needed, but I agree that it's a good sign. It's just not a slam dunk; you won't know for sure until they have more than a plane's full of people at the gate.

For ORD-FNT, I'd be tempted to drive, or ask to be rerouted to MBS, LAN, or DTW.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
I've had protection segments added when they weren't needed, but I agree that it's a good sign. It's just not a slam dunk; you won't know for sure until they have more than a plane's full of people at the gate.

For ORD-FNT, I'd be tempted to drive, or ask to be rerouted to MBS, LAN, or DTW.
They ended up not needing me, one person failed to check in

Interestingly it seemed to be a training flight, there were two FAs on the ERJ145, one obviously new. That might be why it was originally overbooked.

Last edited by dinoscool3; Jun 29, 2019 at 2:33 pm
Old Jun 29, 2019, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by lehms
Plane was super delayed boarding. At the gate it was clear they had oversold biz by 1. Plane boards. Lead agent comes aboard offering $2000 for one person to go economy plus No volunteers. She then says she may be able to get $5000.

One passenger flags her down and offers $10000 to move back.

She comes back back on board and says done
what flight was this?
Old Jun 30, 2019, 12:16 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by jjmoore
what flight was this?
+1...think that’s the highest offer I’ve ever seen lifted. And it’s not even to change flights no less!
Old Jun 30, 2019, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
In fairness, the last time I was potentially facing a broken J seat on an overnight TPAC, in the heat of the moment I was thinking I wouldn't be happy with less than a $5,000 ETC and probably more - I was checking every other positive space option if they wouldn't run the DG list. Thankfully, the seat was sufficiently operable to sit in

YMMV, but I feel like tolerances drop when you are faced with the immediacy of getting booted out of bed.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37

+1...think that’s the highest offer I’ve ever seen lifted. And it’s not even to change flights no less!
I heard this offer for CDG-EWR downgrade just a few weeks back, IAH-AMS downgrade a while back and for EWR-YYZ Y oversale.... not the first, but always exciting to hear that UA is handing out vouchers like this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: United GS, Starwood Platinum
T

The flight was ewr to Amsterdam
Old Jun 30, 2019, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by lehms
The flight was ewr to Amsterdam
That's phenomenal. I didn't even think that was a route that was typically one of the more packed TATL flights. On a short-ish redeye across the pond for $10k in Y+? Nice.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 2:31 pm

once you place yourself on the list, if you look at trip options will you still remain on the list? the prompt came up for me (and some of the listed options are actually flights I wanted to switch to with SDC), so I rather them pay me to switch to a flight that I wanted in the first place; however if it is obvious that they don't need me (like the fare classes open up) then I rather just SDC proactively.

FWIW this is for the 7/3 IAH-LAX flight (UA 783, 8:05 AM). Got the standard $400/500/600 amounts to switch to the afternoon flights. Shows 1 first class seat left (the standard one that's held open for last-second people?), and everything else is 0 out.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
My Dad flew RIC-DEN this morning on an E175 and reported the GAs were offering $1,000 to take a later flight. Sadly, he did not take it as the alternatives would’ve gotten him in way later in the day.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
LOL, I flew in from LIS to EWR on Jul 1 and checked my options for doing a SDC as I wanted a little more time to experience the Polaris Lounge and didn’t like the 35 min connection at DEN. In addition, I saw the EWR-DEN flight was full with standbys ... The best United could offer me were 2 flights on Jul 3 for which they graciously offered to waive the change fees. I thought briefly about putting in for $10K but decided I didn’t want to spend 2 nights in EWR even for $10K.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
My Dad flew RIC-DEN this morning on an E175 and reported the GAs were offering $1,000 to take a later flight. Sadly, he did not take it as the alternatives would’ve gotten him in way later in the day.
I hear these offers all the time ... but never on m flights Walked by RDU-MSP last week and the GA was offering $1k for taking a flight 4 hours later. Sigh ...
Old Jul 4, 2019, 10:41 pm

Mid-May 2019 GUM-MNL data point

In mid-May I was booked HNL-GUM-MNL. That evening GUM-MNL flight was overbooked by 30 people (so I was told later by some UA employees who had time to kill and looked it up). UA sent an employee to stand at the jetway to tell all deplaning passengers from the HNL-GUM flight that they were eagerly looking for volunteers due to a plane substitution (gauge change) and were offering $5,000 VDB. I suspect most people were protected onto the same time UA flight the next day; UA was able to protect me onto an early morning Philippines Airways flight, so net 12 hour delay into MNL instead of net 24 hours delay. Overnight hotel was at the Hilton near Guam Airport, comfortable enough for sure. I was also told that they had no problems getting the number of volunteers needed, not surprising given that was their opening offer.

Wish I had that kind of opportunity more often....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.