Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2019]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:53 pm

Programs: DL DM+5MM, AAGold MM, UA 1K+2MM, BA GGL,LH Senator, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, HY Plat
Equipment swap MEX SFO March 18, checked in online in PZ, offered to take 2pm via IAH for $900. Got call from UA half hour later offering $600 and confirmed Business MEX IAH SFO. Took it, even though figured at airport offers would've been higher, to not lose the business reprotection
BThumme and jjmoore like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by dh01
Equipment swap MEX SFO March 18, checked in online in PZ, offered to take 2pm via IAH for $900. Got call from UA half hour later offering $600 and confirmed Business MEX IAH SFO. Took it, even though figured at airport offers would've been higher, to not lose the business reprotection
Great move (to me). Extra great move if the IAH-SFO leg was on the daily 789.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: DL DM+5MM, AAGold MM, UA 1K+2MM, BA GGL,LH Senator, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, HY Plat
Originally Posted by BThumme
Great move (to me). Extra great move if the IAH-SFO leg was on the daily 789.
Indeed it was on the 787...
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Indeed it was on the 787...
Always nice when there is a downgauge and they call proactively. You made the absolute correct move, as the phone agents will call and get the situation corrected to the point that they don't need volunteers at the gate. Same has happened to me 2 separate occasions last year.

Just curious, did the downgauge result in overbooking in F? I'm assuming this was an A320 to A319 downgauge?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:11 am

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
I had to look up too, so let me just post that it is Des Moines, IA. I wish there were a $9K offer from RNO.
Wow - the load seems to have changed considerably for DSM. Last time I flew there, I was upgraded as a Silver on an award ticket, and there were still empty seats in first!
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
Wow - the load seems to have changed considerably for DSM. Last time I flew there, I was upgraded as a Silver on an award ticket, and there were still empty seats in first!
The NCAA tournament being there thursday probably led to an influx of last minute bookings.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by jjmoore
Always nice when there is a downgauge and they call proactively. You made the absolute correct move, as the phone agents will call and get the situation corrected to the point that they don't need volunteers at the gate. Same has happened to me 2 separate occasions last year.

Just curious, did the downgauge result in overbooking in F? I'm assuming this was an A320 to A319 downgauge?
It was a downgauge from 737-900 to A320, the agent said flight was overbooked in F, originally 16 seats down to 12
Old Mar 23, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
finally got one!

Since Dr. Dao, haven't been able to score these nearly as often.

Thursday, night, last flight from DEN-IAH, departing 8:44pm. Had some broken seats on the plane and needed three volunteers. We all received a $1000 voucher and they booked me for a non-stop the next morning at 7:50am. Put me up at the Marriott too, a good property.
jsloan, RobOnLI, onthesam and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
It was a downgauge from 737-900 to A320, the agent said flight was overbooked in F, originally 16 seats down to 12
UA's 739s all have 20 F seats. The 738's have 16 F seats. If it's a downgauge from a 739 then 8 people are stuck and United is in a very bad spot and you can likely negotiate a much better offer. If it was a 738 then only 4 are stuck and United can likely find volunteers for their initial offer more easily.

-RM
Old Mar 23, 2019, 5:04 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by JNelson113
Since Dr. Dao, haven't been able to score these nearly as often.

Thursday, night, last flight from DEN-IAH, departing 8:44pm. Had some broken seats on the plane and needed three volunteers. We all received a $1000 voucher and they booked me for a non-stop the next morning at 7:50am. Put me up at the Marriott too, a good property.
Any meal vouchers?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
UA's 739s all have 20 F seats. The 738's have 16 F seats. If it's a downgauge from a 739 then 8 people are stuck and United is in a very bad spot and you can likely negotiate a much better offer. If it was a 738 then only 4 are stuck and United can likely find volunteers for their initial offer more easily.

-RM
You are correct, it was a 738, 16F on my flight, so I took te $600 and confirmed F space via IAH
Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA GS/1Mil Flyer, Pond scum on everything else.
Ord-mco aka the mouse Express

Its school vacation week here in ORD so everything is full. Took the VDB for 600 and a confirmed J seat a couple of hours later.
RobOnLI likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have had several VDB bid offers at check-in in the past two months that, at the gate, don't apparently need to be resolved. I haven't bid on any. Does VDB always go to the gate now, or are people getting more early bumps? (By phone?)
Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
I have had several VDB bid offers at check-in in the past two months that, at the gate, don't apparently need to be resolved. I haven't bid on any. Does VDB always go to the gate now, or are people getting more early bumps? (By phone?)
No, there are reports here of people being called in advance after submitting an offer in the app. I suspect United uses the app for data collection; I’ve gotten the in-app VDB notice at least 10 times and have yet to get a call or see anyone VDB’d at the gate.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Man... Spring Break is the best time to get VDBed. Summer capacity hasn't fully ramped and a ton of Y fliers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.